•Day 57• Thea

Three months after what I'd thought was a fairytale romance, a new girl came into your life

Three months after what I'd thought was a fairytale romance, a new girl came into your life. Some days, she sat cross-legged on your couch, playing video games with you and building forts. She made you feel young.

Some days, she smelled like cinnamon and brought that vivacious essence to your life. She took you to her cheer practices and dragged you along to the popular table at lunch. She made you feel like a typical teenager.

Some days, she looked into your eyes as if she was peering into your soul. She wore loose longline cardigans and her hair was in a permanent messy bun. She talked to you about books as if they were the building blocks of her existence. She made you feel fifty years older.

Every day it was someone new. Perhaps that's what lured you in. As she changed, you changed too, to comply with her interests. She kept you on edge, and that excited you.

All it took was three months. And never did you once look back and notice the girl you left behind.
The girl who made you feel like yourself.

"Mom, you have to say yes," I said, a determined look in my eye.
Love didn't wait for anyone. You had to chase after it before it was too late.
I wasn't going to let my mother endure the end of three months too.

"See? Even Thea agrees with me. Go for it, Mom!" Ted said encouragingly, squeezing her hand.

I didn't know what came over Ted all of a sudden, but it was undoubtedly Holly's doing. She not only had a power over Will that I didn't have, but she also had one over Ted.

Whatever she did, though, I was happy for it. Mom deserved happiness. Mr. Mills was going to give her that.

"I don't know...." Mom said, a look of worry shadowing her delicate features. "What if it doesn't work out?"

"Then you move on!" I wanted to shout, but I knew it wasn't that easy. Especially not for someone who'd lost her husband so early on in life.

"We're here for you," I said instead, moving beside her and taking her other hand.

The three of us sat like that in silence, hand in hand, pondering over this new phase of our lives. It wouldn't be just us anymore. If all went well, we'd be welcoming a much larger family.

"Let's go," Mom said, rising to her feet. I looked straight at Ted, unable to keep the shocked expression off my face. He shrugged.

"Like, now?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes!" Mom giggled. Now it was Ted's turn to look alarmed. I shrugged at him.