•Day 3• Daisy

❝You have to be odd to be number one

❝You have to be odd to be number one.❞
~Doctor Seuss
• • •

"Hey, Granddad!" I called out, suddenly very happy to see him at my door. He was dressed in his usual black trousers with a dark blue button down shirt tucked in. Helping his wheelchair and oxygen tank up the doorway and into the living room, I couldn't help but smile. Granddad tended to have that effect on people.

"Hiya, kiddo." He had that adorable old-person smile on his face that made my heart melt and crinkles around his eyes. I bent down to hug him.

"So.. I hear your sister visited last night.. How is she doing?" He asked casually, after I'd offered to get him a glass of water.

I stopped midway towards the kitchen, my face blanched with worry. "Granddad.... I don't have a sister," I laughed nervously. I genuinely worried about his memory sometimes. He tended to get facts mixed up quite a lot and had an odd habit of calling me 'Holly'. Sometimes he'd ask me how it was going with my supposed boyfriend Will, whom ironically I didn't even know, and other times he'd tell me I was starting to look exactly like my sister Eve. Again, whom I'd never met or heard of.

Him asking about my nonexistent sister made me a little uneasy, but he just shook it off as nothing. "Oh, my bad. Sorry, Daisy dear."
Well, at least he got my name right this time!

After a short while, I retreated to my bedroom, wanting to continue with the crochet afghan I was working on. It was supposed to be a gift for Ava, my best friend, for her birthday.
She always told me I would one day make the perfect grandmother, what with my love for cats, green tea and crochet. I found that ironic since my own grandmother never did crochet. Granddad told me I would've loved her if she'd lived long enough to meet me.

Ava and I went to the same school for years, but never really talked, until one day she ran up to me in full speed and ranted for at least five minutes about why she hated eggplant, having mistaken me for her friend Elody.

When she realized her mistake she didn't even bother to look embarrassed. She just extended a hand towards me and said, "Well, then. Maybe eggplant isn't so bad because it got me a new friend."

Ever since, we'd been best friends and I couldn't have been more thankful to have her around. After completing a few rows, I grew restless for some kind of a distraction. As I stared out the window, longing for a change in my life, I caught sight of a boy with light brown messy hair pass by with a heavy school bag perched upon his shoulders.

He looked towards my window right at that very second and, catching my eye, smiled. He looked so familiar, yet so unrecognizable. I couldn't quite place how I knew him, yet I felt like we shared some sort of history. Maybe our paths aligned once upon a time. Maybe we were friends in another life.
Whatever it was, that smile left me enchanted. Something about that boy got me interested and I knew I would spend the rest of the day trying to work out how I knew him.