•Day 59• Draven

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings

The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head.

Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things.

Some shall be pardoned, and some punishèd.

For never was a story of more woe

Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

. . .

"Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night," I said, casually standing beside Brynn as she rummaged through her locker. 

"Where did the insult- loving jerk disappear to today?" She asked, not sparing me a glance. In so many ways, she reminded me of the girl she used to be. And in so many others, she'd surprised me.

"There's an old saying that applies to me: you can't lose a game if you don't play the game," I said, rambling off all the Romeo and Juliet lines I could remember at the top of my head.

"Oh, but you are playing the game, my chivalrous Romeo. And judging from the smitten look on your face, it looks like I've won," she said, placing her hand on her cheek as if to say what a shame. 

She was referring to the bet we'd placed in the debate club. Truth be told, I'd completely forgotten about it till that moment, but it didn't matter anymore. What was I going to lose? My pride? That didn't matter anymore. She was right- I was smitten.

"See how she leans her cheek upon her hand, O that I were a glove upon that hand that I might touch that cheek!" I broke out, earning a chuckle from her. 

"And here I thought you hated me," she said simply, turning back to her locker. 

"My only love sprung from my only hate! Too early seen unknown, and known too late! Prodigious birth of love it is to me, that I must love a loathed enemy," I smiled. I noticed her cheeks tinge with a rosy pink.

I wasn't going to lie- this was a regular move of mine. How else would all the girls have fallen for me? Some old fluffy Shakespeare quotes coupled with my swoon-worthy smile and I could get anyone I wanted. What caught me off-guard was how much I wanted her too. Alas, I knew that as long as Will was in the picture, our romance was only saved for the stage.

And it was then that it dawned on me that the debate club bet wasn't the only bet that had slipped my mind.

"Meet me in the parking lot after school?" I asked, inching away from her. She closed her locker and turned to face me.

"Draven, about last-"

"Don't worry about it," I said, saving her the trouble of apologising. I had too much ego to stand there and listen to her tell me she was in love with someone else. All I wanted was to call off the bet so that I could stop trying and we could resort to a strictly professional relationship as actors.