one

my footsteps made a 'squelch' sound as i walk along the sodden new york streets. rain drops hit me like bullets as i weave my way amongst the people.

i sigh as i walk into work, heading into the backroom. i shimmy the jacket from my shoulders, throwing it in my locker without a care in the world.

"someone is not in the mood today" my co-worker, liam, jokes, placing his apron over his head at the same time i did.

"i'm just tired, didn't get much sleep. some robbery happened downstairs from me so there were blue flashing lights for hours last night" i explain, walking out into the main café.

my neighbourhood was so dangerous. i live in brooklyn and there is literally like four crimes that occur here per week. the cops are gonna end up not bothering to come here anymore, they're probably sick of the sight of most of us. i live in the apartment building of the neighbourhood and the amount of times that the police are on door duty here is ridiculous. most of the time, it's the same cop too. he's called charles, he comes so often that we've actually gotten to know each other on a first name basis.

speaking of, he walks into the café, giving me a smile as he comes in.

"charles, morning" i greet, getting a re-usable cup ready for him, already writing his name in black on the front.

"y/n hi. i'll take a coffee please, milk and two sugars" he asks. i nod my head, heading to the back of the counter and getting his drink ready.

"any crimes happen on my street this morning?" i say, looking over my shoulder. he thinks for a moment before answering me.

"i don't think so. if there, i would have been told about it"

i put the lid on his cup and hand it to him, claiming that he owes me $3. he hands me a $5 and tells me to keep the change, i kindly thank him before he walks out, getting into his unmarked car before speeding down the street to his precinct.

"you know him?" liam asks me as he takes some cups to the back kitchen to be washed.

"he's always the cop that seems to be assigned to most of the crime that occurs in my neighbourhood. we see each other quite often" i claim.

"you should really move. you're gonna die in that place" he says, shaking his head at me. i give him a mocking face before i get back to work. i try to clean the counters but i realised that there was no cleaning products left.

"it's fine, i'll nip down to the store two blocks away. i won't be long" i tell liam before grabbing some money from the cash register. he nods his head, preparing a coffee for the old lady that just walked in.

i walk down the sodden street once again, turning a corner and heading into an alley. a crash in front of me caused me to freeze in place, curses being screamed before me. before i could gather what could potentially be happening, three men with ski masks run down the alley. i yelp, my back hitting the wall. they quickly turn around, grabbing my arm and twisting it then releasing it, keeping a tight grip on my shoulders. a pained noise falling from my mouth. my arms raise in a surrender like manor.

"no witnesses" one of the men says, making my heart rate speed up. liam was right, i was gonna die in this neighbourhood. he pushes me down the alley, holding a gun to my head. my eyes temporarily before it seemed god spoke to me.

"NYPD, drop the weapon" someone announced. my eyes were still closed, not wanting to physically see the criminals getting ready to shoot and kill me. i could hear one of the men running away behind me but the man who caught me still held me tightly, the barrel of the gun poking into my temple.

"drop the weapon!" the cop shouts again, i let out a scared cry, still surrendering to this criminal.

"you stay here, i'll get the other two" a female voice soon piped up, the sounds of running being heard beside and behind me once again.

"fine, you want her, have her" the man holding me spoke, throwing me forward. my eyes still being closed, i shrieked as i didn't know where or when i was going to hit the ground. but i didn't, i fell into someone.

my eyes finally opened, revealing a cop above me. he possessed these beautiful brown eyes and a smile that could light up the room.

"you ok?" he asks, getting me up to make sure i'm stood straight. i nod, still not being able to speak. before, it was the shock and trauma of nearly being killed but now it was due to this man stood before me.

"i'm jake" he establishes, holding his hand out for me to shake. i do so, introducing myself to him.

the woman i heard from before returns, she pulls a notepad from her leather jacket and places her gun back into her holster.

"i lost him but the dum-dum dropped his wallet. name's paul wilder and he lives at brooklyn plaza. we should head over there now" she claims, still reading her notepad.

"yes, we should do that" jake says, taking in a deep breath and dusting himself off.

"thank you so much for you help here, i really appreciate it" i say, shaking jake's hand and his colleagues who i now know is called rosa.

"no problem its what we do" rosa says before getting into the car.

jake goes to shake my hand one more time before he gets into the car and speeds off. as he does so, i feel a piece of paper being slipped there. i open my hand to see a more sat in my palm.

'call me x'