sixty

laughter erupts throughout the room as we listen to charles. he chuckles himself before he continues to speak.

"seriously though, i wish you guys all the best. to jake and y/n!" charles announced, raising his glass and everyone joining in unison. i blush slightly, smiling at the ground as jake's arm comes tighter around me as he takes a sip of his champagne.

after charles's speech, everyone seemed to disperse back into their little groups. i let go of jake, walking over to the table and grabbing a drink. as i'm doing so, i notice some of jake's family coming over.

"there she is! the blushing bride!" an older woman exclaims, holding her arms out. i go into them, giving her a hug with my free arm.

"nearly!" i say. her and her husband laugh, grabbing a glass from the table.

"let me see your ring, dear" the woman says, beckoning me towards her. i take a step forward and hold my left hand out. her eyes widen and her mouth is left agape.

"my goodness me. i didn't realise my nephew was such a spender!" she says, laughing once again. after a moment, she leans over to me, placing one hand at the side of her face.

"keep that one" she whispers, wiggling her eyebrows before she bids me goodbye. i smile, shaking my head and returning back to jake.

"what did auntie margret want?" he asks, his arm coming back around my shoulders.

"she just wanted to see my ring and tell me that i should keep you" i tell him. he rolls his eyes, shaking his head and laughing at his family. he drinks the rest of his champagne before he is the one to get another glass.

"was my speech amazing?" charles asks, almost floating over to me, champagne in hand. i laugh to myself before he reaches me, the alcohol has definitely taken its effect on him. 

"it was amazing, thank you. jake has chosen the best best man" i tell him, clinking my glass with his.

"i'm the best best man anyone could ever ask for!" he says, giggling and shaking his head as he glances over at jake behind me. i turn my head to see him talking to some girl. i stare for a moment but then get back to charles. as i turn back around, i see amy and terry approaching us.

"our partners won't stop talking about work, we had to escape" terry says, shaking his head as he grabs some food from the long buffet table.

after just a minute, we were all in stitches over some joke terry had cracked. i hold my sides, being careful not to spill my drink everywhere.

"hey. we should start a band" terry says, glancing at the four of us. he nods his head, his mouth wide as he jokes. i can tell he's had quite the bit of alcohol but we just let him roll with it.

"seriously, think about it. we have the smart one, the black one, the short one and the pretty one! we should!" terry gasps, his words slowly deteriorating to tipsy slurs. i take a glance at amy and just nod along with terry. he laughs and then wanders away, stumbling as he goes.

after he does so, the three of us burst into laughter. my hand grips charles' shoulder as i hunch my body over due to my laughter rendering me incapable to stand up properly.

"what happened here?" we hear jake ask. charles and i were still dying so amy had to reply.

"i wouldn't ask" she says, still chucking. the two of us calm down and compose ourselves.

"terribly sorry, jake" i say, still smiling at charles.

"who were you talking to?" i ask him, turning around to see the girl he was speaking to looking at our little group. jake hesitated for a moment before he replied.

"just some girl i dated a while back" he muttered, drinking his champagne. my smile immediately fell, my eyes repeatedly blinking. i see amy and charles begin to back away as i stare at jake.

"oh, ok. did you invite her?" i wonder, shrugging my shoulders.

i wasn't the jealous type and i know for a fact that jake isn't the deceiving type. but when your fiancé's ex turns up to your engagement party, you're bound to worry just a little bit.

"i did. we've remained good friends throughout the years" he tells me, his body slightly retreating from mine. i nod my head, pressing my lips into a thin line.

"cool" i say, an unwanted cold tone flowing through my voice. i sip my champagne and look up at him to see his staring straight back at me.

"are you upset or..?" he asks, his stance staying back from me like i was an explosive due to blow any second now.

"no! of course not! we're mature adults" i start to say. as i do, jake smirks and covers his mouth as he laughs at my statement. i giggle a little too, knowing full well that we're not mature.

"ok, well we're adults. i'm not gonna be mad over you being friends with a girl you used to date, i'm not that petty. we're going to be married in a matter of weeks and i think i'd be a little pathetic if i'd be jealous over something that isn't a big issue" i tell him, shrugging my shoulders. jake sighs, smiling down at me and taking my glass out of my hand.

"i seriously don't think you have any idea how much i love you" he says, placing his arms on my shoulders. i chuckle slightly, quirking one of my eyebrows an glancing up at him.

"oh yeah? show me then" i say, tempting him. he shakes his head, widely smiling and leaning down to me. i too smile before jake's lips hit mine. cliché as it may sound, it was as if time stopped as we embraced one another in the middle of this party. no one else seemed to matter, it was just jake and i now.

we pull away, momentarily resting our foreheads together. from beside us, we hear a chorus of cheering. we turn our heads to see the squad and their partners applauding us. we laugh, looking back at each other, giving one last peck on the lips before we fully pull away and return to our engagement party.