fourty nine

i applied the last swipe of lipstick and glanced in the mirror. i smiled with teeth and without, i looked awful. i sigh, standing up from my dressing table and placing my shoes on my feet. i was specifically told not to wear anything too dressy for tonight because apparently i would seriously regret it.

"are you ready yet?!" i hear him yell out, coming into the bedroom.

"wow, you look amazing" jake says, eyeing me up and down. i roll my eyes, walking past him and grabbing my purse, putting my phone, keys and wallet inside. i stand at the front door, waiting for jake so we could go.

i could seriously do with this night out, whatever jake had planned. i've felt like shit for these past few weeks now. i've been unable to solve cases, unable to catch perps, i've felt down and i've shoved jake away. i don't understand what's wrong with me, i don't want to feel like this but i just do.

jake comes out of the bedroom, slipping his phone into his back pocket. he smiles at me and grabs his car keys from the counter before opening the door for me allowing me out.

we are on the road minutes later and i notice that we're going no where in the city. there was a faint hint of worry here but i knew jake had planned something good for our date tonight. i glanced over at him to see him trying to hide a smile. i try to too as i see him.

after half an hour, jake turns the car down a dark country road. so, the hint of worry that i had before? it quadrupled. i sit up in my seat and place my hand near the door. jake looks over at me and groans, swatting my hand away from the door. before i could argue with him, the car suddenly lit up. jake's smile became wide as he turned into the parking lot. i glance up and realise where he had brought me; to a funfair.

"oh my god" i laugh, shaking my head as i undo my seatbelt. jake laughs too, turning the engine off and taking the keys out of the ignition. i get out of the car, the cold air and the smell of cotton candy hitting me as soon as i did so. jake comes beside me, holding his hand out for me to take. i do so and we walk inside.

"two, please" jake asked the ticket administrator. the guy rolled his eyes, taking jake's money and handing him two tickets. he giggled, dragging me into the fair. everything that reminded me of fairs as a child was here.

"come on! we've got a date to go on!" jake says, taking me to the first ride. of course, the first one he takes me to is the waltzers. i giggle as jake pulls down the bar to keep us in. he wraps his arm around me as the ride starts.

as we're spinning, i feel the glasses fly off of my head. i shrieked in shock whereas jake just laughed, as he has done for the last five minutes on this ride.

the ride slowed and we walked off. or should i say stumbled off. the two of us were giggling like drunk teenagers as we wandered through the fair, wondering where to go next. i pointed towards the ferris wheel and jake agreed, motioning for me to go to it.

we got on and the guy made sure we were in before we went up. jake puts his arm around me and i nuzzle into him as we go round. the wheel reaches the top and comes to an abrupt stop. i'm yanked forward due to the force. people on the wheel are shouting at the guy who runs it and he just shouts out that it's jammed and he'll have it fixed soon.

"doesn't matter, just means i have more time here with you" jake says, smirking down at me. i roll my eyes, smiling as i listen to his smooth talk. i'm glancing at the faint new york skyline when jake makes me face him.

"listen, i know you've been a little down for these past few weeks so this date is kind of like a release from all that. i brought you here so you could kind of let off steam" he tells me. i smile, making a small 'aw' sound before i lean up and press my lips to his. as we kiss, it came to me.

"it was the janitor! the janitor stabbed her!" i scream, grabbing onto jake's hands. i laugh, placing my palm on my forehead as i had finally worked it out, the case that had been stumping me for weeks. jake laughs too, wrapping his arm around my head and quickly pressing his lips to it.

"i guess a kiss from me is all you needed" jake joked, pumping his eyebrows. i giggle at him, playfully slapping his chest as the ride begins to move again.

"thank you so much for this. i love you" i day, smiling up at my boyfriend. he smiles back, cupping my face and kissing my lips.

"i love you too, baby"