twenty eight (part two)

*a couple of you suggested a part two so here it is*

my hand comes up to my face before dipping into my bra, pulling a ten dollar bill out for the cab driver. after muttering a 'keep the change', i open the door and climb out, glancing up at the apartment building staring straight through me. as if i was in some sort of romance movie, it starts to rain, just as i started to cry again.

tears fall down my already sodden, smudged cheeks as my hands fiddle with the key in the door once i reach the third floor. my shoulders bang into the door before it gives way. i sigh, throwing my keys and shoes across the room, not caring at this moment in time where they ended up. 

for a minute or so, i just stood there. i didn't walk anywhere, i didn't get a drink, i just stood there.

i think what i'm most annoyed about in this situation was that i was in the bathroom not even two minutes before i came back out again. and when i did, my so-called 'boyfriend' was all over some other woman. i think that's what's hurt me the most tonight.

again, for the seventh time tonight, i sigh. my legs bring me to the sofa and i simply fall. my body connects with the cold, black leather and i simply relate to it.

my eyes find their way to a photo frame that sat itself on the table wedged between the couch and a massage chair. one of six in the apartment.

this photo was actually taken only a month ago,  when we were all celebrating not being shut down, since we were at such a big risk of it. it was two years ago and jake and i had only started dating for two weeks, maybe three. we had our doubts, we worked together and what if it made things awkward? but i'll never forget what happened that night and what happened to me. to us.

——————

"gather round" captain holt asked of us. all of us shot each other the same glances as our superior officer stood before us.

"now i have news on whether the precinct will be shut down" he tells us, taking a sip of his drink.

my heart, much like all of the detectives', was in my throat and beating like a drum. none of us could afford to lose one another. we may not tell each other this all the time but we're all a big family and we love each other. i held my breath, crossing my fingers and glancing up to the heavens, wishing for a miracle.

"the precinct will not be shut down" holt says, a huge and rare smile coming to his face. we all cheered, waving our arms in the air at our unexpected victory. unexpectedly, i felt rosa's arms come around me as she celebrated. i laugh, hugging her back before we all take huge sips of our drinks. of course, we had to take mandatory action at this stage.

"NINE NINE!!" terry screamed, the ten of us screaming it back in unison as we drink. after a minute or five of our highs calming down, we all dispersed into little groups. jake pulled me aside for a moment.

"we aren't being shut down. it's a miracle. and if the nine-nine isn't being shut down when we have rats living in the walls and a detective that has been on the force since the 70's and has a total arrests of fourteen, then i think me and you could work. i really like you and we can't just give up. please, give us a chance,    y/n. i promise you won't regret it" he says to me, his eyes filled with hope. i smile, nodding my head.

at this point, i lean forward and for the first time, our lips touched. it was crazy, it was as if they perfectly fit together, like we were made for each other.

——————

i'll never forget that night. it was unforgettable in so many ways.

my fingers start to fiddle with each other as i think back to that night. it was probably one of the happiest of my life so far. the nine-nine wasn't shut down, i kissed jake for the first time, it was when our relationship first started to become serious.

well, that's not really any use now is it.

as i'm reminiscing about the good ol times, i can hear the faint sound of music. my face scrunches up in confusion as i stand from the couch.

the sound was coming from the front door, so that's where my feet lead me. the song became more familiar with every step i took.

i opened the front door to see jake stood there with a beatbox, backstreet boys' 'i want it that way' playing.

this song dated back to a few weeks ago, when we were in witness interrogation. a woman's brother had been killed and she claimed she heard the criminal sing to this song. so, jake ordered them to sing one line from the song so the woman could decipher who the murderer was. once the fourth man sang 'i want it that way', in unison, jake and i both sang' tell me why', the men having to join in. it was possible the greatest day in the history of the nine-nine. besides the day we avoided being shut down.

i took one look at the man stood before me and my heart involuntarily shattered. his eyes and nose were red raw from crying, his tie was wonky, his hair was messy, as if he'd been continuously running his hair through it, something he does when he's regretful. taking a sniff, he begins to speak.

"y/n, look. please let me explain what happened back at the club tonight. i noticed you were gone and before i could ask, rosa tells me that you've gone to the bathroom because  you didn't feel too well. i tried to rush to the bathroom to check on you but as i was doing so, some girl i dated a long time ago saw me. she was a little bit crazy and when i insisted i check on you, she stopped me. she stared grinding on me and trust me, i tried to get away by wiggling but obviously it didn't look like that from your point of view. what i'm trying to tell you is that i would never cheat on you in any way possible. you're the best thing that's ever happened to me and i'd be the stupidest man on the planet to let you slip away from me. i'm sorry for what happened tonight and i love you so so much. more than you'll ever know"

honestly, it took me a moment to take in everything he actually said. in the, pretty much, two years we'd been together, jake had never poured his heart out to me like that. sure i had but i'm a hormonal, emotional girl, of course i've already done it. i'm pretty sure i did it when i ate his food in the fridge. i still feel bad about it to this day.

"jake. oh my god" i stutter, being completely and utterly speechless to what he had just said to me. i continue to stutter but jake simply places his index finger on my lips.

"you don't need to say anything. just kiss me" he whispers, taking my face in his cold hands. i smile before our lips connect. a fire exploded between the two of us, like it was our first ever kiss. like our kiss that night at the bar. i could tell jake felt the same as i felt his lips pull up in a smile against mine and when he really likes a kiss, his hips come forwards and one of his hands come to the bottom of my back to pull me closer.

"i love you" i breathe as we pull away for air. jake simply nods his head before he goes in to kiss me again.

a/n  like last time, some of the times are messed up. like the nine-nine being saved is season 3 (i think) and the backstreet boys is from a season 5 cold open. potentially one of the best cold opens of the entire show, besides the full bullpen

also, i had a very important maths exam today and one of the questions (with the highest amount of marks possible) started with 'jake rode a train' and i just lost it. i zoned out and realised i only had ten minutes of the exam left whoops.

yeah i didn't pass that one.