thirty eight

the alarm sounded as the cells slowly reeled open. my guard of the day placed me in my cuffs and lead me down the corridor.

"how are you, janet?" i ask her, sending her a kind smile. she nods her head, smiling back.

"not too bad. tommy learned how to count to five yesterday" she tells me, pride seeping through her tone and is evident on her face. i nod my head, telling her that her son is real clever before we all line up at the guest room, so to speak.

"alright, ladies! you know the drill. you have ten minutes with whoever comes to see you. you do not attempt to break free, you do not attempt to engage in physical contact with your visitor and you do not abuse the guards. if you violate any of these rules, you will be placed in solitary. do i make myself clear?" the sergeant asked us.

"yes, miss!" we all say back, the alarm sounding once again as the door opened. the sergeant called out our names in the order our visitors came.

"y/n!" she announced. my guard took me down the corridor into the visitors room. there, behind the glass, sat jake. like each week he's come here, his eyes are filled with sadness as he watches me sit down a few feet away, yet so far from him. we simultaneously reach for the phone and sigh to each other.

"hi" i say, smiling st him. he sends me a sympathetic smile, my heart breaking for him.

"i can't stand seeing you in here for something you didn't do. but don't worry, i am working every minute of every day on your case. i am going to get you out of here, even if it's the last thing i do" he promises me, gripping the phone with force. i smile, closing my eyes momentarily before looking back up at my broken boyfriend.

"i love you so much, jake. honestly, the women in here aren't even that bad" i tell him.

little did he know that it was a complete nightmare being locked up in here. believe it or not, jake has arrested one or two of the women in here and once they got wind that i was dating him, they targeted me. they hurl abuse at me, they spit at me, they even throw food at me in the canteen. i didn't want to tell jake as i knew it would worry him.

just as i said that, i hear commotion behind me. i turn in my chair and see the woman who was previously sat next to me with a shiv. she was pointing it at various people, mainly prison guards.

"i'm gonna kill every single one of you" she warns, fighting against the guards.

"starting with the bitch with a cop for a boyfriend" she says, jumping on me and holding the shiv at my throat. i scream, my eyes closing so i didn't know when she'd slit my throat.

"y/n!" jake exclaimed, i could hear him getting angry as he couldn't come and save me. the guards dragged the woman off of me however as they do so, the shiv slices my jawline. i whimper, holding my fingers to it and them getting covered in blood. i turn to jake, who was stood up from his chair, gripping his hair. tears started to form in his eyes at the same time as mine did. my prison guard got me up, pressing a cloth to my gashing wound and leading me out of the visitors room to get me stitched up.

"jake, please save me!" i cry as janet takes me away with my hands behind my back. i hear jake shout an annoyed and pained 'fuck' as he sees me being taken away from him.

i was lead to the medical room of my cell block. the doctor stitched my face/neck up and janet took me back to my cell.

"don't worry, that woman will be severely dealt with" she assures me, smiling as she closes my cell and locks it.

i start to cry, my body falling onto my bed and my face becoming embedded in the horrible, dirty pillow.

i missed jake with everything i had. i hadn't kissed him in around a month. we were allowed physical face to face visits every 5-6 weeks, regarded we were good enough prisoners.

i'm not even supposed to be here. i didn't commit the crime that i'm locked up for. i was framed and now, i'm serving up to a maximum of ten years. i cannot spend that long in prison. i've been here for four months and i hate it with everything i have. fair enough, i've grown to like the prison guards because they know i'm actually a good person. i must be, i'm dating a cop. but that's why the prisoners hate me, because i date a cop.

i knew jake was working on my case. in court, he said he'd do everything in his power to get me out. even the detectives in his precinct have been working on my case, knowing how much i mean to him.

i sigh, sitting up from the bed and wiping my tears.

"toughen up, princess!" the woman in the cell across from me shouted, the other prisoners cheering with her. i close my eyes, laying my head on the wall and praying that jake would get me out of this.

a/n  again, thank you so so much for reading this book, it means a hell of a lot.

also, if you want to, you can follow my twitter, @glitteryperalta