fourty three (part three)

the final curl is completed, the final brush of mascara is done, the final swipe of lipstick is felt. i was ready.

i was physically ready. i looked like a princess. well, i looked like the daughter of a rich family on her wedding day.

i wasn't emotionally ready. i didn't want to be here, my heart didn't belong with this man. it belonged with someone else. someone i have known for a week but he has it.

"y/n? are you ready? you walk down the aisle in ten minutes!" my mother frantically exclaims as she comes into my dressing room. she shakes her head as she realised that i'm sat down in the same place i've been for nearly two hours.

"get up! goodness me, child! you're ever so slow at times!" she says, ushering me up and thrusting my bouquet in my face. i'm taken aback and lead out of the room. my father is stood there, his hands holding his suit jacket. he nods his head as my mother stands beside him. they beam in pride as they see their daughter before they push her into an arranged marriage.

"you wait here whilst we check that everything is in order" father tells me, motioning his hand as if i was a dog. i nod my head, rolling my eyes once they'd gone.

as i was waiting, i heard a quiet 'psst' come from behind me. before i could properly turn and process who was talking to me, i was yanked into the closet metres away from me. i am about to shout and protest when the light turns on and i see jake stood there.

"ok, look. i know you're going to walk down the aisle any minute but i have to let you know this. they've got you trapped, y/n. and that fire that draws me towards you is going to burn out if you don't break free. you're being pushed into a marriage that you don't want to be in.." he starts. i hold my hand up to him whilst i interrupt.

"and how have you figured that one out?" i ask in offence.

"by the way you look at me" he quickly replies. after realising he was right, i allow him to continue.

"the way our hands stayed attach last week when i saved you from the criminal, i haven't stopped thinking about it. or you. it's like we can't stay away from each other. do you really think it was a coincidence that you bumped into me yesterday? no, of course it wasn't. you are getting married today but, can't we rewrite the stars?" (a/n  i'm sorry i've just watched 'the greatest showman).

i must admit, i did think about his offer. his offer to blow this whole wedding off and be with him. i would be much happier and there's something about him that i need to discover, that i need to be with. it's weird and intriguing, i just can't put my finger on it.

jake's head dipped down to mine slightly however i don't move at all, i simply place my hands on his chest to stop him. i look into my eyes before my vision becomes blurred with tears.

"jake, i'm marrying christopher. ok? i have to" i say, my voice breaking slightly. he shakes his head, standing above me once again. he runs his hand through his hair in stress and annoyance.

"i'm sorry" i say. i too start shaking my head as i reposition my dress again and open the door of the closet. i take one last look at jake before i exit the room and stand by the doors like i was two minutes previous.

my mother comes running down the corridor, holding her dress as she goes.

"are you ready, darling?" mother asks me, a smile on her face. i seriously contemplate my answer before i give it to her.

"as ready as i'll ever be" i reply, sending her a fake smile. she nods her head, leaving me be to get her seat next to father and telling me to wait for the wedding chorus.

i stand there, staring at the white painted door several feet away from me.

on the other side, was the rest of my life. the rest of my unwanted life, that is. i didn't want to be here, my parents are the ones forcing me into this binding contract.

the second i hear the ominous sound of the wedding chorus, it's like something in my mind just snaps. something that occurs that makes everything makes sense.

i turn my head, seeing jake come out of the cupboard he spoke to me in a mere two minutes ago. i throw my bouquet of flowers to the floor and run up to him. as he hears my heels clicking on the floor, he moves his body to face mine. without processing anything, i grab his jacket and pull him towards me, smashing my lips into his. he seems taken aback by my actions but soon kisses me back, simultaneously melting. i pull us apart for breath before i speak up.

"maybe the world could be ours tonight" i whisper, looking into his eyes. he smiles, laughing quietly.

"y/n!" i hear a voice shout. i quickly turn to see my parents coming out of the church door.

"run!" i scream, grabbing jake's hand. i lift my dress up as my legs take me as fast as they could. i could hear my father shouting for me but i was long gone at this point. i giggle as we find ourselves back on the streets of new york.

"hey!" an angry voice screams. i look back to see christopher in his tux shouting for us. i laugh again, squeezing jake's hand and running once again.

jake leads me to his car, the two of us climbing in as fast as we could and speeding off. the guests of the wedding that will never happen could be seen in the rear view mirror but they got smaller and smaller as we drove further away.

jake drives us to what i presume is his apartment building. he takes my hand and we run again, up the stairs and onto the roof.

the door bursts open to reveal the beautiful city below us. i disconnect my hand from jake's and take myself to the ledge of the roof. i gasp as i glance over the city that never sleeps.

i feel jake's presence behind me and i turn my body to see him stood there. he takes ahold of my hand, twirling me around once before he pulls me towards him. i drag the veil off my head and cup his cheek, pressing my lips to his once again.

"you were made to be mine"

a/n  i know this is soppy and unrealistic but i've just seen 'the greatest showman' and i just had to.

that film is so good what the fuck why did no one make me watch sooner