thirty five

*warning; mention of suicide. it's not emotional, i stole the idea from 'the edge of seventeen' kind of

her feet took her as fast as they could, not giving any care if she walked into anyone. she made my way up the stairs to her apartment, getting her keys out of  her pocket and unlocking the door. she enters her place, grabbing her phone off charge from the counter and dialling a very familiar number. after he didn't answer, she called his precinct.

"who dis?" a voice sang down the phone.

"could i have detective peralta please?" she asked in desperation. the woman agrees and tells her to wait a moment until she's put onto his line.

"hello?" he answers. she takes a minute before responding to him, wondering whether her situation was too little to bother him with.

"jake, could you come over as soon as possible. i could potentially jump off my roof" she tells him, biting her nails.

"ok. give me a minute" he says quickly, shouting to his boss whether he could leave for an emergency. she waits for a moment until jake replies.

"i'll be there as soon as i can. just sit quiet" he advises me. she nods her head, bidding goodbye before hanging up the phone. she takes deep breath before sitting down on the sofa.

she wasn't being serious about the 'killing myself' thing. that's just what happens when she panics but she always needs calming down, she over-reacts all the time.

she loudly groans, standing up from the sofa and gripping her hair, pulling it. she runs her hands down her made up face, getting more stressed by the minute.

she had just had  dinner with her mother and it did not go great. it was all good, it was her her mother and her brother. it was going perfectly well until her mother brought up the fact of     y/n's fathers death. it's  nearly four years since he passed and her mother keeps feeling need to refer to him as only 'her husband'. fair enough, he is her husband, but he was also y/n's dad. then her mother went on about how he'd be 'so disappointed in how she turned out' when she brought her up on it.

so yeah, it was not good.

a knock at the door and the door opening anyway was what allowed her hands to relieve her scalp of the gripping pain.

jake saw her stood in the living room and came over to her

jake and y/n had been friends since second grade. best friends in fact. y/n was a very lonely child, she doesn't mean to play the worlds smallest violin for herself but she was. her brother was always 'mummy's favourite' and she was pushed out.

anyway, jake came over to y/n one day when some girls were bullying her and they've been friends ever since. they went through middle school together, they went through high school together, they went to prom together. well, they didn't have any other friends so, why not?

they've been with each other through every milestone. when jake became a detective, when y/n  became the owner of her own business. they've also been there when for the bad times. when her father died, when his dad abandoned him, again. jake was an amazing person.

he sighs, seeing her before him and he wraps his arms around her. he makes shushing noises to calm her down as she continues to spiral in her front room.

"is she actually serious?! disappointment?! why?! is it because i failed maths in high school? or is it because i didn't pass my drivers test until i was 23. or is it because i was never your favorite child?!" she shouts, reaching to pull her scalp again. jake continues to shush her.

"come on, let's go sit on the roof, it's a nice evening" jake suggests to her. y/n nods her head, agreeing with him as they leave the apartment.

they reach the top floor after two flights of stairs, jake like the gentleman he is opened the door for his friend. y/n nods her head as they enter the cold, june new york evening. the two immediately find their spots they sat at every time they came up here.

they sat themselves there in the exact middle of the roof. if they sat there, they could pretty much see over the entirety of brooklyn. it was breathtaking.

"so, why have you dragged me out of work?" jake finally asks y/n, turning to face her. she takes a deep breath before explaining everything to him that i have told you.

as she finishes, she wipes a tear that had fallen. she often wasn't one to cry but sometimes life just gets on top of her, like it gets on top of all of us. jake sighs, not really knowing what to say to her. he'd said everything possible to her regarding this situation with her mother.

he simply wraps his arms around her again, comforting her the best he could. he really was not the best at it, but he tried.

"you really didn't have to come out of work for me, i would have waited until you finished your shift" she tells him, lifting her head off of his chest. he shakes his head, smiling down at her.

"you're worth it" he replies.

in that exact moment, when she looked up and smiled at him, it was like something in his head snapped. he had to do it, after waiting for so long, now was his chance. it was like everything was perfectly aligned and something happened that had never happened before.

jake leaned down, closing his eyes and pressing his lips to y/n's. y/n's arms come from around his torso, not knowing what to do with them. within a few seconds, she melted. her hand come to the back of jake's neck and his came to cup her face.

the two pulled apart however their lips still remained inches apart.

"i've been waiting forever to do that" he whispers. y/n pulled her head back, her brows furrowed in confusion.

"i gotta admit, i have been in love with you since high school. but we've always been in relationships or we've been apart from each other, i mean you only moved back to brooklyn last year. and i thought if i told you, it would ruin our friendship and i don't want that. this connection we have is the most important thing to me. maybe except 'die hard'" jake says, making her laugh. y/n sighs, momentarily looking at the ground before looking up at her best friend.

"i feel the exact same way" she says, leaning forwards again and kissing him. as cliché as it sounds, time truly did stop once their lips had connected. there was no one in new york at the point except them two. it was electric.

they pulled away, placing their foreheads together and sighing before glancing out on the city below them.

a/n  if i've triggered anyone here, i don't mean to. i've literally just got the idea and inspiration from a film i watched today and i don't mean to offend anyone. if i have, please comment on this or message me, i don't mean to offend

thank you x