thirty nine

a deep breath enters my lungs as i stand on the other side of the rest of my life. my hand grips my bouquet as i prepare myself to walk down the aisle.

the doors open and everyone's heads turn to face me. it was a small wedding, so i could see everyone. my co-workers smile widely, charles especially. he set me up with the man i was about to marry, so clearly i had to thank him for this. the nine-nine sat on one row but i noticed one seat was empty.

my brows furrow together in confusion as i notice my partner wasn't sat in the middle. terry shrugs his shoulders at me but i shake it off, looking up at my groom stood at the altar. he looked amazing, like he always does.

i finally reach where i needed to be, amy, my maid of honour, taking my bouquet of flowers and sending me a wide smile.

the solemniser begins the wedding, saying what marriage is and what a joy marriage is. of course, i was listening to him however i was also thinking why one of my fellow detectives hasn't turned up. why all of the nine-nine had showed to my wedding but him.

"now, do any of us have any reason why this man and this woman shouldn't be wed?" the solemniser asked our friends and family.

"i do!" a familiar voice shouts from the back of the room all of us turn around to see jake running down the aisle. i see captain holt go to stand up but i motion for him to sit down, mouthing that i've got this. he nods his head.

"jake, what are you doing?" i whisper to him in slight anger and annoyance. he pants as he reaches the altar.

"y/n, i'd regret it forever if i didn't do this so, here goes. ever since we were on that stakeout at three in the morning last march, i've been in love with you. you literally brighten my day, even if it's dark. your smile somehow makes me unconsciously smile too, it's infectious. you're the best detective i know as well as the best person i know. i can't let you do this, i can't lose you forever"

i stand there speechless, my mouth agape. i could see my fiancé becoming fairly annoyed beside me but i disregarded him completely. i look into jake's eyes, seeing that they were full of hope. i also look into my fiancé's eyes, seeing that they were not full of hope but full of anger.

"i just thought i'd let you know" jake says, his face full of sadness as he turns away, his head down as he walks back down the aisle. everyone turns to watch him as he goes. i close my eyes, contemplating my available options. i look at my fiancé again before shouting out.

"wait!"

i pick up my dress as i run down the aisle, chasing after jake as he leaves the room. he turns to me as we enter the small corridor before the ceremony room.

unexpectedly, my lips smash into his for the first time. he seems taken aback at first but soon melts into the kiss as i've done. my hand immediately rises to the back of his neck as i deepen the kiss. i smile as i do so, knowing that this felt so right. so wrong but so right. we were meant to be together.

we pull away before i speak up.

"i've never felt like that with my fiancé" i gasp, our foreheads resting against each other. jake smiles, letting out a small chuckle.

"let's run away together" jake pipes up, pulling himself away from me. my eyes widen at the man stood before me.

"what? are you crazy?!" i exclaim quietly, not wanting anyone in the ceremony room to hear us.

"think about it. we're clearly meant to be together, who's stopping us? it's us against the world" jake proposes, weighing up the pros and cons with his hands.

i contemplate what jake says before i agree, nodding my head. smiles come to both our faces as we lace our fingers together. the sounds of someone coming out of the room i was supposed to get married in was what triggered the pair of us to run. we heard an 'oi!' shouted our way but we didn't care, we just kept on running.

it was us against the world.

a/n this is super cliché but ah well