sixteen

"ok,ok, my turn" charles states, chuckling as he takes a sip of his beer and repeatedly raises his eyebrows at everyone. i loudly groan as gina claps her hands from across the room . 

we were at shaw's and we were all celebrating the fact that rosa's task force succeeded. closing time rolled around and none of us were ready to go home and since my apartment was close to the pub, we decided to go there. 

so currently, at 1:16am on a wednesday night, we were all on my living floor playing a mix between spin the bottle and 20 questions. 

charles cheers as he spins the bottle and it lands on jake. he rolls his eyes, taking a sip of his drink before getting ready to answer a question. 

"jake, on a scale of one to ten, how hot do you think amy is?" charles asks, raising his eyebrows at him for the second time in the space of one minute. i immediately sit up as the question is asked. jake chuckles nervously, swigging his drink and glancing over at me. 

"gotta answer the question peralta, we all said the oath" rosa bluntly says, showing a small and devious smile. 

"i dunno. eight? nine?" he replies, casually shrugging his shoulders. i purse my lips out, turning my head to amy who was already looking at me. i nod my head, just deciding to shake it off. 

"TWO PEOPLE BOTTLE!" gina screams, meaning that two people had to answer the next question. her being the boss at this kind of thing, she's allowed to spin this kind of thing. she, along with the other eight of us, shout and jeer at the inanimate object spinning on my carpet. we were quite tipsy. 

just what i was somehow impossibly trying to avoid, the bottle landed directly in between jake and I. i became anxious straight away. 

"easy one for them, it's not that late. where do you guys find yourself in a year or two?" terry asks, him always being the one to keep the calm and peace. 

"well, personally, i kind of see myself married with maybe a kid or two" jake answers, grabbing another bottle of beer from the mini fridge sat beside him. everyone else gawped in shock of jake's mature answer. i did also but for a total different reason. 

one by one, heads turned to me as they yet needed an answer from me. 

"honestly? i really see myself travelling. out in the open, not a care in the world. nothing tying me down. i never travelled in college so i feel then would be the perfect time" i say quietly. everyone's face showed awkwardness but jake's showed that he was quite taken aback. 

"wait, what? nothing tying you down? what's that supposed to mean?" he asks me, completely turning his body to face mine. i do the same and then reply. 

"it means that i'll have no worries. no debt, no work and no.. kids" i reluctantly and regretfully say. reluctant as i didn't really want to tell jake my overall plan and regretfully as i didn't even think before saying the last thing. the room was deadly silent for a moment. 

"y/n, can i speak to you in private?" jake asks, placing his bottle down and signalling me to my bedroom. i nod, glancing at rosa before i walked away. i shut the door behind me and jake made sure that everyone in the room had started the game up again before he spoke. 

"what the hell was that back there?!" 

"what was what? the question was 'where do you see yourself in a year?' so i answered!" i reply, wondering why he was so mad at me. 

"your answer was literally polar opposite to mine!" he shouts, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"why does that matter?!" 

"because don't you think when i spoke about the marriage and kids thing, i was speaking about doing all that with you?" he quietly asked, sitting down on the king size bed behind him. i sigh, closing my eyes before placing myself down beside him. 

"jake. i'd love that, i would. but i just don't want kids, i've never wanted them" I truthfully tell him, turning my head to look at his reaction. he shakes his head. 

"you said you wanted nothing tying you down. by that, did you mean me?" he whispers. i close my eyes, trying to stop any kind of tears coming down, i'd had quite a bit to drink so i was in absolutely no control of my emotions. 

"no, of course i didn't" i assure him, rubbing his arm up and down. 

"i just want to travel the world because i never had the chance but I know you're so tied to the force but of course i'd want you to come with me" I say. he shakes his head again, now standing up from the bed. 

"you want to travel without me. y/n, we've been together for over a year, i know when you're lying" he tells me. that wasn't true, of course i wanted to travel with him. 

"you know, a year really isn't that far away, suppose you'd have to plan all of these adventures without me there" jake says, turning to make sure he wasn't facing me. my eyes widen as i, too, stand up. 

"what are you trying to say?" 

"that you and me want different things. i want and am ready to be in a commited relationship and you want to have no strings attached. we're completely different people, it's just taken one night to realise that" he explains, now letting me see him. his brunette eyes were full of pain and disappointment. i felt terrible, i didn't want to hurt him in anyway. 

"no jake, you don't mean that" i say, going to grab his hand but he pulls away. he shakes his head, running his hand down his face. 

"please don't do this" i beg but he had already opened the door. he turns his head around to look at me. 

"you and i both know what's going to happen, y/n", he turns away, walking out of my bedroom. within five seconds, i hear the front door slam. wiping the odd tear that had fallen down my face, i also walk out of my room. everyone diverted their attention from the game to me. 

"well?" gina asks, reaching her hand out to stop the bottle from spinning. 

"jake just broke up with me" 

a/n yikes. also, please let me know if this is overly and unnecessarily dramatic, i tried to make it as realistic as possible. 

also, should I write a part two? i'm feeling a part two here