eighteen

"everyone, briefing room. now" captain holt announced, waving his arms to get our attention. i got up from my desk, making sure to put my work onto the system before walking over to the the briefing room and sitting down next to charles. he took a deep breath in before speaking to us.

"there's been a huge robbery at a very expensive technology store in queens and the nine-eight request that we work the case with them. does anyone have any cases?" he asks. i raise my hand.

"me and jake are free" i claim. the captain and sergeant nod their heads.

"where's jake now then?" terry asked, everyone's heads turning to look at me in confusion.

"i told him to go and choose napkins for the wedding" i say with slight shame and embarrassment. rosa loudly groans at my response.

"damn man, what happened to you?" she said with sadness. i was about to respond when the captain spoke up.

"ok, y/n and jake will work the case. dismissed" holt demanded, everyone rising and leaving as he said so. i sigh, getting my phone out and texting jake to meet me at the scene of the robbery. i grab my car keys from the drawer in my desk, put my nypd jacket on and leave the bullpen.

within twenty minutes, i arrived at the scene, seeing jake glancing at his watch and looking around. once he sees my uc vehicle, he throws his hand up in the air in annoyance.

"where have you been? the precinct is ten minutes from here!" he exclaims, shaking his head.

"i'm sorry! i was daydreaming and i forgot that i could cut through red lights" i say meekly, feeling my body shrink in slight shame and embarrassment. he shakes his head again, a small smile coming to his face as he lifts the police tape for me to dip under.

"hi. i'm detective y/l/n and this is my partner, detective peralta. from the nine-nine" i announce to two other detectives stood a few feet away from me. they both turn around and the one stood directly in front of me was a face i could never forget. 

"harry?!" i ask in shock, his expression mirroring mine.

"y/n?! oh my god. it's been years, how are you?" he greets me with a hug, laughing. my eyes are wide at the fact that we're both working a case together.

"you guys know each other?" jake asks, sending us a weird, slightly annoyed smile. i put my head down, blushing slightly as i let harry tell jake how we know each other.

"we were in the academy together and we were partners for two years. in more ways than one" he explains, glancing at me who was giggling like a little girl. jake raises his eyebrows as the other detective partnered with harry had gotten bored of us and started to investigate the scene, like we were supposed to be doing.

"so you guys dated, huh?"

"yeah but we broke up after a year or so, we just didn't see each other much due to the job" i say, shrugging my shoulders and turning around the ask the owner of the scene procedure questions. as i was doing so, i heard my name being called.

"y/n!" harry shouts, making funny faces on ten different tv screens. i burst out laughing at his stupidness but jake didn't find it impressive.

"damn, i was gonna do that" he whispers in defeat before walking away in annoyance. harry stopped making faces and came over to ask questions with me. he stood right behind me, poking me in the side.

"10 versions of me you got to see? you're like the luckiest person ever" he jokes before taking over my job and letting me go to speak to some of the uniformed officers who were patrolling around the scene at the time of the robbery.

within half an hour, we all had the information we needed to go back to our precincts and solve the case.

"until next time" harry bids, taking my right hand and pressing a soft kiss to my skin. i blush slightly but from the corner of my eye, i see jake angrily walk away for a second time. i say goodbye to him and his partner before going over to  jake.

"come on, we should be getting back" i suggest to jake but he simply stood there with his arms crossed, looking like a housewife who's husband keeps coming home from work late.

"do you think i couldn't see what you were doing? you were flirting with that guy! right in front of my face!" he shouts, getting some glances from people around. i take a step closer to him.

"no i was not. i was simply having some appropriate work banter with an old partner" i claim, also folding my arms. he rolls his eyes before climbing into the passenger side of the car. i close my eyes momentarily before i, too, get into the car.

the ride back was the most awkward ten minutes of my life. no one spoke, the only sounds that were heard was the music from the radio and the engine of the car.

we both walked back into the precinct but as soon as we got out of the elevator, jake walked away from me. i throw my arms up, being so confused as to why he was so annoyed at me. at this point, gina and rosa has spotted it.

"oh dear. have the married couple had a fight?" gina said, with a fairly patronising tone. whether it was implied will forever be a mystery.

"ok first, we're not married yet. and no, we are not in a fight, just a slight disagreement" i reply, folding my arms and glancing over at jake who was typing on his keyboard way too violently.

"so you've had a fight. what about?" rosa asks, placing her hand on her belt as she always does. before responding, i see that jake is heading over to the copying room. i hold my index finger up to my co-workers and jog after my fiancé. without him knowing, i walk in and close the door behind me. he looks at me and sighs in annoyance.

"ok. what is your problem with me? what have i done wrong?" i ask, keeping my hand on the door handle.

"the fact that you were flirting with that harry guy! ok? you say you weren't flirting but that sure looked like flirting to me" he tells me, looking to the side of him, where the copying machine was.

"ok. i'm sorry. i wasn't flirting with him but i understand why you thought i was" i say. he nods his head, sending me a small smile.

"but i know that's not it. come on, i've known you for seven years. what else is on your mind?" i ask, taking a step closer to him. he sighs, again, before responding.

"you guys were saying how you broke up and i couldn't help but get paranoid. you guys say you didn't see each other much but you still worked in the same precinct. we're getting married next month and i don't want that to be us. i want to spend my life with you" he explains, hanging his head in some kind of shame and sadness. i smile with sympathy, placing my hand under his chin and lifting his head up so he could look at me.

"baby. that's never gonna happen. i didn't really break up with harry because we didn't see each other. i mean i made him think that but it's because we simply had nothing in common" i say, a small chuckle coming from him.

"and think about it. if i didn't break up with him and request a transfer, i never would've met you" i whisper, the two of us smiling simultaneously now.

"i love you. so much" jake says, leaning down to press his lips to mine. my hand comes from his chin to his cheek, deepening the kiss.

"i love you too" i say, pulling away.

"ok but seriously, could that guy not see that amazing, bedazzling engagement ring on your finger?!" jake exclaimed, making me laugh before we walked out of the copy room and beaded back to our desks to investigate this robbery.

a/n  this isn't certain but i may be a little slow with updating for a few weeks as i have exams and i'm super stressed bc they're the most important exams i've ever done

anyway, thank you so much for reading this book. love you