four

my eyes stare at the wall beside me, no blinking occurring at any point. my arms are crossed around the covers and a sour scowl is present on my face.

here i lie, at around 2:30am, alone in this king size bed in the cold, isolated bedroom. i've been waiting for my boyfriend to come home for over four hours and he hasn't returned. i've called all of his co-workers, nothing from any of them. i called his precinct too, even though he's been off today, i wondered if they'd seen him. no one has.

he went out at around one this afternoon, claiming that he had to run some errands but he hasn't left me a text or even called me and i'm worried. or i started to become worried over four hours ago. he's done this all week, gone out and returned at a stupid time but tonight i was more anxious because he hasn't been out for this long.

everyday before we've gone out, we've argued. and everyday when he comes back, we've argued. i don't know what's wrong with us, we've just not been agreeing on anything and we've been going against each other's wishes. most of the time, it's been me shouting at him claiming that i've been worried sick and him shouting back saying that he needs space and that i'm not his mother.

i check my phone for the fifth time in the last ten minutes, double checking whether i'd missed a text from anyone. i groan, going into my contact and dialling gina.

"wassup girl?" she answers.

"have you seen jake?" i ask again, feeling embarrassed that i keep bugging her.

"he's still not come home yet? this isn't like him, he would've at least dropped one of us a text. i haven't seen him but if i do or he contacts me, you'll be the first one i call" she assures. i thank her kindly before hanging up, biting my nails out of worry.

twenty minutes later, there's a bang heard in the apartment. my eyes quickly open however i calm slightly once i hear jake. i sigh in relief, keeping in the position i'm in so my back is to him.

he bursts through the bedroom door, muttering inane garbage as he kicks his shoes off. i hear him discard his shirt before i feel the bed dip. his arm comes around my waist like it always does but i shake it off. he murmurs in a confused manor before i turn to him.

"where've you been? i've been so worried" i whisper, getting a little more comfortable in the position i've now gone into.

"here we go again" he says, rolling his eyes at my question.

"what's that supposed to mean?! i've been so anxious all day, not knowing where you'd gone and the fact that no one has seen you". he groans, turning over to face the door. i groan too, getting out of bed so i could go over to face him.

"look, i know you like your space. we all do! but you've been so weird with me all week and you've been getting drunk everyday" i calmly say, bending down to speak to him properly. his eyes are closed but his face is scrunched up at what i'm saying to him.

"maybe i need to drink. to deal with you" he mutters under his breath, opening his eyes to look at me. i gasp, feeling as if my heart just dropped.

"you're always nagging me. i am a grown man and i don't need a babysitter!" he shouts, sitting up and resting against the headboard.

"i'm not trying to be your fucking babysitter! i'm trying to be a good, supportive girlfriend!" i shout back.

"well you're not doing a very good job!" he slurs. again, my heart dropped. he gets out of bed, standing inches away from me.

"you know what? you're a fucking asshole! i seriously do not know why i put up with you!" i scream, folding my arms across my chest. jake raises his hand to run his hand through his hair, only i didn't think that.

as he raised his hand, i flinch, covering my face with my hands. as jake looks at me in anger, his expression seems to drop. the room was silent for a moment before he was the one to speak.

"you didn't think i was going to hit you, did you?" he asks, bending his body a little so he was nearer my height. i put my hand over my mouth, letting out a quiet sob before i walk around the man in front of me and leave the room.

without putting on shoes or a jacket, i leave the apartment. i run up two flights of stairs before i open the door, revealing the roof and the rest of new york city. two chairs sit before the edge of the roof, chairs that jake and i placed there last year, where we had our first kiss.

i sit on mine, letting the tears fall and the sound of police sirens fill my ears.

jake doesn't have it in him to hit anyone, never mind his girlfriend. i don't know why i thought he did, i guess i just wasn't sure of what he was capable of when he was drunk and angry like this.

the sound of my sobs somehow drowned out the sound of the sirens below, and the sound of a door closing and footsteps coming towards me. my eyes were closed so i didn't noticed the fact that jake had sat down beside me.

"i thought you'd be here" he says, my eyes opening to see him glancing over the city. he takes a deep breath, not making any eye contact with me.

"i'm sorry i've been out all week and i've been constantly arguing with you. it's just the captain has been on my back for a long time because i blew that whole drug operation last month, i guess it's just been stressing me out and i've been taking it all out on you" he explains. he then turns to me, taking my hands in his.

"i hope you know that i'd never hurt you in anyway. drunk or not, you're my girlfriend and i love you" he says, making me smile.

"i love you too" i say. he smiles too, leaning in and pressing his lips to mine. his hand caresses my face before he pulls away, resting our foreheads together.

"oh my god that's still here?" jake exclaims, pulling away from me and getting up from his chair. he walked to the other side of the roof and picked up some stick figure laid on the ground. he laughs, showing it to me.

"no way! that's from when you bet me you couldn't make a guy made out of sticks and milk!" i say, getting up from my chair too.

"yeah! and i celebrated by rubbing two sticks together which gave me third degree burns!" he replies, laughing more than he should be. i giggle standing beside him.

"you're an idiot"

"yes, but i'm your idiot"