eight (part 2)

*this part is actually a part two for chapter eight, as it was suggested that i write one*

one year later

my feet take me along the surprisingly dry new york sidewalk. the sun was out and i was in a great mood. i was currently on my way to my new job, being the owner of one of the most successful restaurants in brooklyn. i opened it a little over six months ago and so many critics have given it such positive reviews and i'm doing better than ever.

i pull up the shutters and unlock the front door, the familiar bell sounding out through the room. i sigh, closing the door behind me and heading into the back room.

it was at this point in the day where i count the profits from the previous nights, set the tables and work out the bills for the months and so forth.

more of the bell was heard as my employees entered my restaurant. without being asked or prompted, they went straight to the kitchen and started to cook up tonight's cuisine, as we had an hour until opening time.

myself, i put my badge on my shirt and stood at the stand at the front of the restaurant. i figured i shouldn't be doing nothing whilst my chefs and waiters slave away. i greet people at the door and sometimes wait the tables.

an hour later, at 5pm, people came swarming in. people from all different backgrounds and ages, which i loved.

as i'm on the phone writing down a reservation for two days away, the bell rings to signal more customers. i bid goodbye to the woman on the phone and write her reservation in my notebook. i put on a smile, look up to see someone who made my smile automatically disappear.

"y/n?" jake asked in surprise. you may remember jake, the guy who i loved but cheated on me with, wow, amy who he is here with. without letting my disappointment and anxiety show, i put the smile back on my face.

"good evening. welcome to y/n's. table for two?" i ask, grabbing two menus from the shelf beside me. jake awkwardly nods, giving me a weird smile. i nod my head, telling them to follow me. i sat them fairly close to the front desk, so i could basically spy on them. i'm not jealous of them, i'm just very shady.

as they reach their table, jake pulls out amy's chair, letting her sit down before he could herself. i scowl at the happy couple but soon stop as i place their menus down in front of them and walk off.

i storm to my office in the back, throwing my notepad at the wall in anger.

as if jake peralta is actually here right now, and with his new girlfriend! it took me months to get over what he did to me! the only thing that has distracted me from the fact he betrayed my trust was opening my restaurant, fulfilling my dream from when i was twelve.

i run my hands through my hair before taking multiple deep breaths, picking my pad up from the floor and walking out into the restaurant.

i put on a phoney smile, again, and head over to jake's table.

"would you guys like to order drinks?" i ask, getting my pen out.

"i will have a red wine and the lady will have the apple martini" jake orders, amy smiling and me widening my eyes a little and shaking my head, realising that he ordered one of the most expensive drinks for his girlfriend.

"funny, you never spent any money on me when we were together. your drinks will be right out" i say, sending them both a sarcastic smile before walking off into the kitchen. i hear laughs behind me and see conner, my deputy manager, so to say.

"i heard what you said to the couple at table seven. is he an ex?" he asks, grabbing some plates from the counter that the chef had just placed there. i shake my head, sighing.

"yes. an ex who cheated on me so i say he deserves it" i say. he nods his head, claiming that i made a good call before he takes table ten's dishes out.  the chefs chuckle a little as i pour jake and amy's drinks.

i place then on a tray and walk out. as i do, jake stands there with his arm placed on the wall.

"can i speak to you? please?" he asks, to which i roll my eyes. i agree, guiding him to my office. as he comes in, he stares in awe, seeing how lush it is.

"wow, you've really done well for yourself" he congratulates, leaning against the wall.

"well that's what happens when you don't have cheating scum in your life" i say with sass. he sighs, closing his eyes at my comment and in somewhat disappointment.

"you know, i'm glad you left me. because without you betraying my trust, this place never would've opened! so i thank you for your dirty, shitty.." before i could finish my sentence, he slams his lips into mine, his hand immediately holding the back of my neck. i raise my eyebrows in shock at his actions however i soon kiss him back.

"you have a girlfriend. you're twisting this shit around, turning the tables" i say, our foreheads now touching.

"she's not my girlfriend. she's my colleague, we're here to discuss a case" he claims, however i don't believe his words.

"she has a boyfriend, he's a sergeant over at the seven-three. after what happened with us, she met him and said that i was basically a mistake. i mean that kinda hurt but i realised that we made the right choice" he explains, pulling his head away from mine. i sigh, glancing up at him.

"how can i believe you?" i ask, being genuinely concerned over whether he was lying to me again.

"let me take you out for dinner this saturday and i'll prove to you that i'm not a liar" he proposes, pressing his lips into a thin line as i process what he's asking.

"we see a movie and eat mcdonald's in your car" i, let's say, counter propose.

"done" i say, shaking his hand. he thanks me before walking out and going to sit down with amy. i sigh, realising that my heart was beating a mile a minute. sure, he was a dirty cheater but i'm not sure if i ever stopped loving him.