fourteen

i chuckle at my fellow detective as we make our way back into the bullpen. as we walk in, we see that some form of event is about to take place.

"what's happening?" charles asks beside me, placing his case file down onto his desk. terry heads over to us, rosa and gina soon following him.

"jake and amy are doing a roller chair derby. the first one in five years!" terry exclaims, clutching one of his files close to his chest. gina giggles and sighs as she sees the sergeant's muscles flex.

"i thought you and jake did these?" i ask, turning to rosa who stood with one of her hips out and one hand on her belt. she nods her head as she slowly turns to me.

"not this time" she says, leaving me to wonder. i shake my head, crossing my arms across my chest as i watch my boyfriend and my colleague prep themselves for battle.

"get ready to get your ass beat, peralta!" amy shouts, officers of the bullpen shouting encouraging remarks and clapping for santiago.

"yeah, you'd like that" jake replied, rubbing his hands together and nodding his head. my face scrunches up as he makes that comment.

i sound very high school as i say this but jake's been acting very flirty with amy for these past few weeks. i know they had something go on before he went undercover, working for the mafia but i wasn't even part of the nine-nine at this point so i don't fully know what happened. it's just that they've been making very suggestive comments to one another and they've been real close in the office.

"and whats that supposed to mean?" amy says, trying to be as sassy as possible as she takes her blazer off and throws it onto her desk.

"oh, you know" jake replies, narrowing his eyes at the woman a few feet away from him. i raise my eyebrows as they both try to trash talk each other.

you know? what's that supposed to mean?

"ok, detectives, i need you at the starting line! holt is going to be back in thirty minutes!" terry announces, glancing at the silver watch sat on his wrist. the components nod, going over to stand at the gate that sits at the front of the bullpen.

as jake's goes to the starting line, he walks over to me. his lips aim for mine however i turn my head, his lips hitting my cheek. his face portrays confusion however at this point, i don't think it's the most important on his mind.

"ok! three, two, one, GO!"

the two point their fire extinguishers at the elevator, their desk chairs slowly moving across the bullpen. jake laughs as he realises that he is going to win. once he's the first one to enter captain holt's office, he jumps up from his chair, throwing his red can to the ground and wildly cheering. boyle runs up to him, double high fiving him as amy sits in her chair and sulks.

"aw, don't cry amy. better look next time, babe" he says sarcastically. anger bottled up inside me as that pet name falls from his mouth.

jake's pov

i laughed as santiago sits in her chair and pulls her face. as i turn to celebrate my victory with y/n, she turns around and walks down the hallway. she didn't just walk away, she stormed. like someone who's angry.

"what's wrong with y/n?" i ask boyle, who was still cheering for me.

"i'm not sure. she was fine when we came out from interrogation" he tells me, shrugging his shoulders as he heads over to join the rest of the detectives and gina.

i jog out of the bullpen, just catching y/n going into the evidence lock up. i stand at the door, waiting to hear her say anything or make any kind of sound. after two minutes, i decide to just walk in. what i find is y/n just pacing back and forward, one of her long nails between her teeth as her face portrayed worry mixed with anger.

"what's wrong? you just left the derby?" i ask, shutting the door behind me. her body turns quickly then hits one of the shelves as she didn't realise i was coming in. she lets out a huge sigh before telling me.

"you keep flirting with amy and it's pissing me off! you do it right in front of my face and it makes me feel awful! if you like her, be with her! just don't keep me if i don't work for you" she shouts however lowering her volume as she spoke the last sentence. my heart dropped a little as she explained herself to me.

"y/n, you know i would never flirt with anyone else but you. and i'm sorry if i looks like i'm doing that with santiago. and why would i do that anyway? you're my girlfriend" i tell her, taking a step closer.

"i know that you had a thing for her and that you confessed it to her before you went undercover. i know that it was a few weeks before i came to the nine-nine but i can't help but think it could still be true" she admits, glancing up and the ceiling and then back down at me as she simultaneously takes a deep breath. i sigh before replying.

"yes. before you came, i had a thing for amy. but that spark isn't alive anymore, it's long gone. whereas with me and you, that spark is pretty long lasting" i say, a smile coming to her face. she nods her head.

"ok, i believe you"

"i love you" i say, pressing a small kiss to her forehead.

"love you too"