fifty seven

i counted all the alcohol, all the snacks, everything. once i realised that we were good, i smile and sigh. i make sure my laptop is hooked up to the speakers and that's my work done. i go into the living room to see jake stood on step ladders, trying to hang decorations. he's making frustrated grunting noises as he tries to put the ribbon up.

"you having trouble there?" i ask, folding my arms and raising my eyebrows as he turns around. he groans, nodding his head. i shake mine, grabbing the blu-tack from jake's hands and going up myself. i stick the decoration up within a matter of seconds and come back down, much to jake's dismay.

"show off" he mumbles, going into the kitchen. i chuckle to myself and place the ladders back into the cupboard.

"i think we're ready now!" i shout to jake who returned to me with two beer bottles in his hand. he passed one to me and nodded his head, looking at the room.

"this is just the best idea" jake says, looking down at me. i nod my head, agreeing with him.

you need a little context. jake and i got married nearly two years ago and we decided last week that we were going to try for a baby. but we felt before we did that, we would have one last party as just a couple before we become a family. so that's exactly what we've done tonight. an we're going to get wasted. like absolutely shit-faced.

within ten minutes, the guests started to stream into the house. of course, the first guest was amy, as she was the most punctual. what surprised us was that she had brought a plus one.

"guys, i would like you to meet liam" she says. the two of us shake liam's hand and make small talk for a minute or two before the rest of the nine-nine showed up.

thirty minutes was all it took for every guest to arrive. tonight was like the night where we annually go to rochester and get hammered. it's just like that. i mean some of the people in the house i don't even know.

that's probably not a good thing.

"pretty dope party" a voice said behind me. i turn to see rosa and gina stood there, red solo cup in hand. i nod my head, agreeing with them.

"well we've gotta be teenagers one more time before we decide to become adults" i say, shrugging my shoulders.

as i finish that sentence, something inside me turns. i go all queer and i can't comprehend why. my colleagues before me head back off into the party. i grab my cup and fill it with beer before i wandered off again, ignoring the indescribable weird feeling.

as the time came to midnight, the nine-nine had gathered to play spin the bottle in the front room. many of the guests watched us as we played.

the bottle was spun and it landed on amy. she's had four drinks, so she's very perverted at this moment in time. she sticks her tongue out, wanted to kiss whoever the bottle landed on. it landed on rosa and before anyone to process what was happening, amy's lips were on her fellow detectives. i gasp, laughing as the girls in front of us made out. liam's eyes were wide as he marvelled at this woman.

the bottle spun again and it landed on me.

"y/n has to do a lime an salt shot off of..."

the bottle spun again and landed on jake.

"jake's stomach!" gina exclaimed, screaming in laughter and intoxication.

"gladly" i said, grabbing a shot glass, a lime and some salt. i pour tequila into the glass and sprinkle salt onto jake's stomach as he goes to lie down. i wiggle my eyebrows as him as he does so and he bursts out laughing.

"three, two, one, GO!" everyone shouted. i bent down, slowly licking the salt off of jake's stomach. wolf whistles erupted the room as i took the shot and bite the lime. i wince due to the sour taste as everyone cheered.

again, that very same feeling came back to me. i tried my best not to make it  evident on my face so the game wasn't stopped.

half an hour later, people had dispersed back into their separate groups. i was stood in the kitchen, trying to decipher what this feeling was. as i was trying to work it out, jake came in, seeming lost. he spotted and snapped his fingers.

"bedroom, now" he said, dragging me out by my hand. i was taken aback by his eagerness but kind of got into it. he closed the bedroom door and turned to me. i was ready for him to kiss me but he didn't, he simply held me by the shoulders.

"all night, i've had this really weird feeling. whenever someone would say this is a good party or they would mention us trying for a baby, i've felt really weird. i didn't know what it was until we played spin the bottle" he explained, using his thumbs to rub my shoulders. he paused before he continued.

"we're not ready for this baby yet"

i exhaled a sigh of relief, holding my hand over my chest.

"i've been feeling the exact same way. we're young! we have plenty of time to start a family. i would like to start one someday but for now, we need to live out our youth! well, the remaining days" i say, shrugging my shoulders. jake sighed too, letting go of me.

"love you" he said, pressing a quick kiss to my lips.

"do you want to go back to the party, get wasted and have drunk sex once everyone leaves?" jake suggests.

"ok" i quickly say, reaching behind me and opening the bedroom door to get back to everyone.