six

*this chapter is based on s4 ep22; crime and punishment*

my heart was beating faster and faster with every step i took as we neared the court room. with us was matthew langdon, a man who worked with hawkins and was drawn out of state by her and forced to abandon his wife, other else they'd both be killed by her. this plan could not fail, he will obviously testify against her.

i walk in, seeing amy, terry and captain holt lined up waiting for jake. i stand beside amy, she sends me a smile full of pity as i take in a deep breath. he first speaks to his sergeant and captain.

"you've got this, there's no way they're going to find you guilty" terry claims, shaking jake's hand, captain holt doing so too. he then moves along to amy.

"this is a definite win, you can't lose this, not with the evidence we've picked up with langon " amy states, sending jake a smile before they both embrace in a hug. my breathing becomes a little shaky as he detached from his fellow detective. he stands before me, his face full of fear but hope.

"i love you" he says, placing his hand on my cheek and pressing his lips to mine. i momentarily melt into the kiss but had to pull away as i saw the judge starting to walk in. the five of us took our places; jake going to stand with rosa and i went with terry, captain holt and amy. i sat with gina on one side and terry on the other. he rubbed my arm in support, my nails being placed between my chattering teeth out of habit.

"i'd like to call a surprise witness!" jake exclaims with authority.

"you're not an attorney, you can't do that" the judge tells him, a stern look on his face.

"fine. sam, call a surprise witness" jake demands to his lawyer. sam does so, matthew going to sit on the stand. i get even more nervous, if that's even possible, when matthew goes to sit down.

"matthew langdon. how do you know lieutenant melanie hawkins?" sam asked, walking closer to matthew who was now sat at the stand.

"i worked for melanie for three months in 2010 and she was the most honourable cop i've ever worked with" he claims. my eyes widen, my head turning to jake's colleagues who looked in my direction. from where i was sat, rosa and jake looked a little worried too.

"the reason i am here is because that man, jake peralta, paid me $300,000 to set melanie up and lie" he says with confidence. he glances over at hawkins, who has a cocky smirk on her face.

"objection!" jake shouts, to which the judge overrules. he demands that the jury exit the room to go over the court session and decide the verdict of the case. once they leave, jake and rosa turn to the five of us.

"what happened? i thought you said hawkins drove matthew to pennsylvania?" rosa whispered angrily.

"he did! that's what he told us! he obviously still works for hawkins" i whisper back in the same angry tone as her. i apologise afterwards, claiming that i was stressed and didn't mean to speak to her like that. she nods her head, turning back around as the jury was entering the room again. jake and rosa both stood up, ready to hear their verdict.

"jury, how do you find the defendants?" the judge asked, everyone's gaze diverting to the women who was representing the jury.

"guilty, on all charges"

no. no. no.

this can't be happening. jake isn't guilty. rosa isn't guilty.

my heart sinks, it practically stopping. my boyfriend is going to jail and there's no more we can do, he's going to prison for 15 years.

"cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool," jake repeatedly says, the most scared look ever on his face. rosa fell back down into her chair, her expression duplicating jake's. two men cane into the room with handcuffs to take them away. i shake my head, standing up.

"they can't do this, you're not guilty" i say, shaking my head and holding back tears. one of the men harshly pull his arms and place him in cuffs.

"we won't stop fighting for you, we will get you out of the there" captain holt assures them as they're being escorted out.

"i love you, y/n!" jake screams as he exits the room. my eyes close as i let a tear slip down my face, my body falling back into the bench. the nine-nine all comfort me.

"don't worry, we will get them out. they don't belong there, they are not criminals. please don't be sad" amy assures me. i nod my head, knowing that every single one of them will do everything in their will power to get jake and rosa out of prison.

"nine nine" i quietly whisper, putting a sad smile on my face. they all respond before we stand up, exiting the courtroom and walking out into the cold new york streets. the cold, lonely streets.