twenty six

i smile, standing up from my desk and heading into the captains office. there, stood jake and amy with him.

"oh i'm sorry, i didn't realise that you were in a meeting" i quickly apologise, going to walk out of the office. as i do, holt speaks to me.

"no, y/n it's fine. i'll take that, thank you" he says, holding his hand out for me. i smile once again, handing him the folder and mumbling a quiet 'thank you'. as i'm walking out i send my fellow detectives a kind smile. just before i enter the bullpen again, i feel a hand playfully but harshly come to my ass. i gasp, i turn around, seeing jake glancing into space. i laugh, shaking my head as i finally get back into the bullpen. i can see charles and rosa staring at me as i head back to my desk.

"what?" i ask in confusion. the pair of them simply glance at each other and get back to what they were previously doing before they became more interested in me.

i log into my computer, not actually knowing what i was doing since i had no open cases. i sigh, deciding to clear out my desk and tidy it up. i was nearly such a tidy person but lately, i was really slacking.

"we won't let you down captain!" i hear jake exclaiming as he walks out of the office. he tells amy that he's nipping to his locker before they can start to research the perp that is involved in the case they've just received.

as i'm clearing out my first drawer, i find a photo that i didn't even know was in here. it was the picture that jake and i took for our second anniversary together. we didn't even know it was being taken. we were at a funfair that jake said he went to as a child and, cliché as it was, he won me a giant teddy bear. the picture was of him giving me the bear and me having the biggest smile on my face.

i sigh whilst simultaneously smiling, glancing down at the ringer on my fourth finger. i twirl it around and cherish the memory behind it.

"don't tell me you're having second thoughts now" jake says from above me. i look up to see him sitting himself down on my desk. i shake my head.

"no i'm just admiring it" i reply, standing up from my seat and throwing one pile of rubbish into the bin next to gina's desk. jake smiles, holding his hands on my waist and swaying my body slightly. he leans forward, pressing his lips to mine. even though we were in a work environment, things got a little past what they should have. we were kind of just making out.

"jake! y/n!" we hear terry shout, our lips immediately isolating each other. i look down in shame as we both mumble a 'sorry'. he shakes his head in disappointment as he walks down the hallway. i giggle slightly, going back to the clearing of my desk. i see jake smirking at me as he walks over to amy's desk.

"you guys need to calm down" rosa bluntly says to me, taking her sunglasses off of her face and placing them on the collar of her shirt.

"it was so sensuous in the beginning but now it's just boring" gina interviens, blowing a raspberry and putting her thumbs down at me. i shoot her a look before turning back to rosa, who now had boyle stood next to her.

"yeah. don't get me wrong, i love you guys, you're my dream couple but you seriously need to calm down. i mean, jake and amy didn't even make out that much when they were together!" charles exclaimed, laughing at the end of his sentence. i hear gina take in a sharp breath as the rest of the detectives turn around.

"who now?" i ask in shock, looking over at jake, who was stood hunching over amy's desk with his head down. i look at charles as i stand up from my chair. i could see captain holt coming out of the office, hanging up the phone on kevin after he could hear some 'piping hot tea'

"jake and amy dated? when?!" i exclaim, holding my arms out. everyone stayed silent until someone decided to speak up.

"we broke up a few weeks before you came here" jake tells me, finally facing me. i nod my head, my lips pressing into a thin line. i laugh slightly, taking in all of this new and surprising information. i take in a deep breath, trying not to cry.

"i need some air" i say, folding my arms across my chest. clearly my deep breath didn't work as when i was proceeding through the bullpen, a tear slipped down my cheek. jake reaches out his arm for me.

"y/n" he begs in slight desperation but i just move my upper body so his hand only brushes me. i walk down the stairs and out of the building, not knowing where i was going.

i ended up walking to some park fifteen minutes away from the precinct. i sat on a bench in front of a lake and let a few more tears fall down my face.

jake and i have dated for four years and have been engaged for months now, at what point was he going to tell me that him and amy dated? i'm not the jealous type of person but it just concerns me that the two of them work in such close proximity together. old feelings can arise very easily, you see it in every tv show and movie out there. the thing i'm most mad about is the fact he kept it a secret from me. i would have been more calm that if, before we started dating, he informed me that he dated amy and he kind of pre-warned me, that would have been much appreciated.

"thought i'd find you here" a masculine voice says above me. i glance up to see jake stood there, a two cups of coffee in hand. i sigh, looking down at my feet. he, too, sighs, sitting himself down beside me.

"i'm sorry i didn't tell you about amy and me" he starts with, placing the cups of coffee in the gap between us. he turns his body so it faces mine as he continues to speak.

"i thought it would make you super jealous make you reluctant to date me and i didn't want that. i thought it would be wise if i didn't tell you but clearly it wasn't" he explains, locking his fingers together on his lap. i let out a sigh before i reply to him.

"jake! we are engaged! we are not supposed to be keeping secrets from each other at this stage. well if we are, we're obviously going to fail here". to that comment, the pair of us shake our heads and i continue talking. 

"i would have been less mad if you would have just told me. i know that you wouldn't cheat on me and amy and i are good friends, it's all good. and do you really think i wouldn't date you? you're the most amazing person i've ever met" i say, leaning across and taking jake's hands in mine.

"touche. i love you, so so much" jake says, my hands stroking his hand with my thumb. i smile, leaning across to my fiancé, pressing a long, passionate kiss to his plump lips.

"did you hear that we're 'making out too much at work' and being 'too inappropriate for a work environment'?" jake said in confused and shocked tone, raising his eyebrows and having a bewildered look on his face.

"i know! they're crazy! we don't make out that much" i reply. the two of us thinking to when we make out at work and we realise what everyone is saying is valid. we simply glance at each other before bursting out laughing and heading back to the precinct.