thirty six

i pack the last item into the box, staring at it as i did so. the item was a photo frame, within it contained a picture of my boyfriend and i from our weekend away last year. i smiled before placing it with the rest of my case files and office knick-knacks.

my captain comes over to me, along with my other fellow detectives. captain james shook my hand proudly.

"it has been a pleasure to have you with us for the past six years. you have been a model officer" he told me, giving me a kind smile. my colleagues nod their heads, one by one greeting me with wide smiles.

"i'm gonna miss you guys" i tell them, opening my arms for a hug. everyone joins. i couldn't believe i was transferring precincts. i currently worked at a precinct in manhattan however i was being moved to a precinct in brooklyn.

"well, i'll see you" i tell everyone, situating my box under my arm. i grab my windbreaker, taking the 'manhattan' velcro off and placing it on my desk.

all the detectives and officers wave me goodbye as i walk down the stairs and get into my car. i take a deep breath, wiping the odd tear that had fallen.

i plug my keys into the ignition, starting the gas and driving away from the six-three.

my eyes glanced away from the road for a moment, taking in the brooklyn bridge as i drove across. as i neared closer and closer to my new precinct, my heart raced.

i was being transferred to the nine-nine and i was so excited when i found out. jake, my boyfriend of close to three years works there but i hadn't told him i was being transferred to work with him, i've kept it a secret for a month.

i enter the parking lot, situating my car into a space and grabbing my box. i walk into the precinct and get into the elevator. once i reach the top, i get the first glance of the bullpen that i would be working in every day.

"detective y/l/n" the captain greets me, shaking my hand. i smile, saying hello before he detaches.

"welcome to the nine-nine. i'm captain raymond holt and i will be your new commanding officer. would you like to follow me into my office?" he asks politely of me, gesturing towards his office at the end of the bullpen. i nod my head before walking over.

"miss y/l/n, this is sergeant terry jeffords" holt introduces, terry shakes my hand, again welcoming me to the nine-nine.

"and call me y/n" i advise my superior officers. they nod their heads and i sit down in a chair opposite the captain.

twenty minutes passed of him telling me about my transfer, how things work around here and that they're glad to have me on the team.

"come with me and i shall introduce you to the other detectives and show you to your desk" captain hold suggests, standing up from his chair. i nod my head, being allowed through the door first. i thank the captain as he calls over a brunette woman in a sergeant uniform.

"y/n, this is sergeant santiago. she is in charge of the uniformed officers" he introduces. i shake santiago's hand as she insists that i call her amy. i nod my head and smile as captain holt walks over to a desk. he slips a rectangular name tag on the side. it read 'detective y/n  y/l/n" and as i happily glance at it, i notice that my desk faces jake's.

"here is your desk. i have situated you across from detective peralta. if he causes you any trouble, send him straight to me and i shall deal with him" holt says in a serious tone. i stifle a laugh, agreeing with my captain before he calls everyone over.

"everyone, i would like you to meet the newest member of the nine-nine, detective y/n  y/l/n" he introduces. the people present in the bullpen applaud. captain holt motions to a woman dressed in all black, a short man in a shirt and tie and a woman who's face was glued to her phone.

"this is detective rosa diaz, detective charles boyle and gina linetti" he says. rosa simply nods at me, charles shakes my hand and gina is still on her phone.

"wait, are you the y/n that i think you are?" charles asks me in an intrigued tone, taking a step closer to me. i narrow my eyes slightly as i look down at him.

"what do you mean?" i ask back, turning my head to the side to get a better look at him. before charles had a chance to reply, the man i was waiting for walked into the bullpen.

"ah jacob. this is detective y/n  y/l/n" he says but jake simply shakes his head.

"babe. what are you doing here?" jake asks in confusion. i prevent a huge smile from forming on my face as i allow captain holt to proceed with what he was saying.

"this is our newest detective" he says. jake's eyes widen, a huge smile coming to his face first.

"what?!" he asks in excitement, his mouth agape.

"i kind of kept it a secret for like a month" i tell him, the smile now coming to my face. he laughs, placing his hands on his hips.

"wait. i dont get it" rosa says, glancing at the two of us being so happy with each other. i stand next to jake as he explains the situation.

"y/n is my girlfriend. the y/n i'm always speaking about" jake says, gesturing his hands towards me. i blush slightly at the fact he says he always speaks about me.

"i was right! this is the y/n!" charles exclaims, throwing his fists into the air before engulfing the two of us into a very tight hug. captain holt raises his eyebrows as he watches boyle hold us. i clear my throat and the man i just met let's go of us. before he could interrupt, i speak.

"don't worry sir. our relationship won't get in the way of our police work. we will remain professional" i assure him, sending him a small smile. he turns to terry.

"i like her" he tells his sergeant before he turns and enters his office again. all of the detectives seemed shocked as they watch their superior office walk away.

"captain holt doesn't not say he likes people. what's your secret?!" amy asks frantically, practically jumping over to me. my eyes widen slightly but i simply shrug my shoulders, not actually being sure how to respond to her question.

"so, how long have you guys been dating?" gina asks, looking up from her desk and her phone at us.

"nearly three years" jake replies, glancing over at me with, like, heart eyes. i nod my head, smiling at him before i turn to my desk, starting to get my things out of the box and place them on there. i take my windbreaker off and reach for the 'brooklyn' velcro that awaited me beside my keyboard. as i placed it on, terry screamed.

"NINE-NINE!!"

"NINE-NINE!!" everyone screamed back, making me jump and widen my eyes. jake stepped beside me and leaned in.

"yeah, that's kind of what we do sometimes. you'll get the hang of it" he tells me, pressing a brief kiss to my lips before returning to his desk to work on his b&e. i smile, watching all the detectives, all my new colleagues go to their desks to work.

i already love it here.

a/n  again, i'm sorry if i get some of the things like streets or how things work wrong. i'm not american so i don't understand how everything works over there.

anyway, thank you so so much for reading.

also, i found out earlier that when you google 'jake peralta', this book comes up. i like cried in the middle of english today