eight

i sat by the lake, waiting for my boyfriend who said he wanted to meet me here at 2pm. well, it is now 2pm and there is no sign of him.

to try and pass the time, i glance around the park. everywhere, i saw children running around the apparatus. they played cops and robbers, which made me smile as jake was a cop. it's a little stupid i know but the smallest things seem to make me smile.

"y/n" a voice says from behind me. i turn around to see jake stood there, looking very apprehensive. i stand up, dusting myself off and going to give him a kiss. as i lean in, he turns his head so my lips touch his cheek. i start to get slightly nervous at this point. he motions for me to sit where i previously was.

"y/n. before i say this, just know that i love you now and i always have done and always will do" he explains to me. my eyes widen slightly, my body shifting uncomfortably as all kinds of thoughts run through my head. most of them being theories as to why jake is doing all of this. i nod my head, urging him to continue.

"well, as you know, a couple of weeks ago, i went on a stakeout with terry and amy. this stakeout lasted three days and that's a long time to be confined with people. as i discovered a few years ago with charles but that's not relevant right now. so, terry left the room to get some more surveillance's equipment from the van and things escalated in the short time that me and amy were together and we kind of kissed" jake explains. i look away from him, glancing at my fidgeting fingers. i nod my head again, processing it for a moment before speaking up.

"well i'm sure i can get past a kiss. i mean, you guys were just caught up in the moment and you'd been confined for a couple of days" i say, taking deep breaths. he pulls an awkward face.

"yeah well it wasn't just a kiss. when you went to stay with your parents last weekend, i invited amy over to talk the whole stakeout thing through and, again, everything escalated and we ended up sleeping together" he says to me. my heart drops to my stomach. do you ever read in books where people describe that exact thing happening to them and you wonder what it actually feels like? well i personally experienced that. i press my lips into a thin line, nodding again like some sort of insane person. jake takes my hands in his and makes me look into his deceiving eyes.

"but it didn't mean anything! i promise you. i felt absolutely terrible! and it only happened once and it won't happen again". this time, i actually shake my head, standing up from the bench.

"i don't care if you do it again, you can do it all you want. because you and i are done" i tell him, bending down to pick up my bag before turning away from him. not even having the chance to take a step forward, jake runs in front of me.

"no no, please don't do this. please, i am so so so sorry, i didn't want for anything of this to happen. i love you" jake begs, trying to hold my hands again. i pull them away, staring at him in disgust.

"you don't love me! if you loved me, you wouldn't have cheated on me!" i exclaim. before he could try and grovel again, i but in.

"i've trusted you with so much! fuck, i trusted you, period! but you're cheating scum like the rest of the men in this world. don't try to contact me or come anywhere near me, i don't want to see you, we're done" i tell him. before walking away, i unclip the necklace from around my neck and slam it into his hands.

six months ago, it was our two year anniversary and jake took me to a really fancy restaurant, which i thought was very impressive since he spends most of his money on crap. we promised to not get each other gifts because we were trying to get a new apartment because ours was a little small. of course, jake didn't listen to that and he bought me a necklace. inside, it had a picture of the two of us from our weekend away to palm springs, where my parents live.

"oh my god" i say as i revisit that memory. i turn around to see jake still stood there. i grab the necklace from his hands, opening it to look at the picture.

"this is from when we visited my parents. you say you cheated on me when i went to see my parents last weekend" i say, laughing in pain at this situation. jake looked at me confusion before i showed him the piece of jewellery.

"well, maybe i should burn this since it represents the fact that you're a fucking liar" i suggest, pulling a lighter out of my pocket. jake frantically shakes his head at me, begging me not to burn my gift.

"you don't deserve to see this burn. maybe you should give it to your side piece, amy" i say, slamming it into his hands. i take one last look at the man before me before officially ending things.

"have a nice life. goodbye jake"

and with that. i walk away. away from the park bench, away from the park but most importantly, away from the love of my life forever.

a/n i know this is so dramatic and i know that jake would never do that because he isn't a dirty deadbeat like his dad but i'm in a dramatic mood so i felt that i had to write something that reflected this mood that i am currently in. also amy would never do that she's too pure