twenty two

"no! i asked for white tulips not white lillies!" amy screamed at her florist, who was shaking and close to tears. the woman, who's name i learnt was joanne, quickly got out her notepad and wrote down amy's flower order before she scurried away. i laugh to myself, sitting down on the bed next to amy.

"i think you're a little stressed" i predict, glancing over at the bride-to-be who was about to rip her perfectly curled hair out. she sighs before turning to me.

"i thought i wouldn't mind if some little things went wrong. i wasn't gonna be one of those girls who needed their wedding to be perfect but i guess i do want it to be" she admits in shame, playing with her nails. i take her hands, placing myself across from her. before i do so, i grab her wedding day binder from the dressing table in her room.

"today is going to be perfect. you've prepared the perfect binder and everything is going to work out. i am going to make sure it does" i assure her. she sent me me a thankful smile, whispering an 'ok' before i leave the room, speed walking to the venue hall from amy's hotel room.

i walked in to see the last white ribbon being tied onto the last chair. i nod my head, ticking 'chairs' off of the list for section 'venue' in the binder. i jogged into the reception room, seeing an array of cutlery being laid out next to silver platters on the tables. i tick 'tables' off of the list.

i head outside and expect to see the photographer's van but there was nothing here. i laugh with nerve, walking around the venue and not seeing anyone.

"where's the damn photographer?!" i exclaim, someone a few feet away from me shouting the very same thing. i turn to see jake in the same position as me. i run over to him.

"i thought the photographer was supposed to be here twenty minutes ago?!" i ask in panic, not wanting amy and lucas' day to be ruined. they've been planning it for over a year now and i know deep down, they want the most perfect day.

"he was! he's just not turned up!" jake shouts back at me, running his hand running his hair. i am taken aback by the way he replied to me but he soon apologised, claiming he was a little stressed for lucas.

"i'm literally the worse best man ever" jake says in self-pity, slumping his body onto the bench beside him. i did the same thing, placing my head in my hands as my elbows rested on my lap. we both blew past our lips at the same time, thinking of how to solve this dilemma we were in.

"who booked this photographer?" i ask jake, turning to him.

"i did. lucas was supposed to but he was too busy tasting cakes with amy" jake replied, him now turning to me. i nod my head, standing up from the bench as an idea came into my head.

"drive to his studio and find him" i suggest/demand. jake nods his head, getting his car keys out of his pocket. he's about to walk away before he stands directly in front of me.

"you're a real knock out in that dress" he compliments, a huge smirk coming to his face. i admire him in his tux before complimenting him back.

"you look pretty hot too" i say, leaning up and pressing a quick kiss to his lips before he jogs off and gets into his car. i watch him drive away before i head back inside. i reach amy's room to see her just sat in front of the mirror at her table, staring at herself. she must've noticed me come in as she starts speaking.

"i'm so excited. yet nervous. i know lucas is the one but marriage is a big thing". she turns around to me, with a fairly scared look on her face.

"you guys are gonna kick marriage's ass" i say truthfully, kneeling beside her. she chuckles and looks down at the floor before looking at me.

"have you and jake ever spoken about getting married?" she asks with intrigue. i sigh, shaking my head.

"i don't think he's ready to fully settle down yet. and neither am i. we're both just too immature for marriage" i say, smiling at the thought of jake and i's wedding. it would be the best wedding in the history of the world, no doubt.

within twenty minutes, jake returned with the photographer and he set up in front of the venue. it was five minutes to go until amy walked down the aisle and jake stood at the front of the room with lucas by his side.

i remember when amy and lucas first met. jake and amy worked at the same precinct and they both promised to set each other up on blind dates. so, jake set amy up with his cousin lucas and amy set jake up with her best friend, me. i think that's why lucas made jake his best man, since he basically set him up with his wife.

the music began and i walked down the aisle, holding a bouquet of flowers. i smile at jake as i do so and as i reach the front, the whole room turns to see amy in her bride's dress, walking down the aisle. i beamed with pride, so did lucas. she looked absolutely amazing, she has been prepping for this very moment for over a year. and now here we are, and she's smashed it.

from the corner of my eye, i see lucas wipe a quick tear before standing up straight, greeting his bride with his arm out for her to take.

the ceremony lasted around fifteen or twenty minutes, both reading out their vows and giving each other their rings. throughout the whole thing, i couldn't help but imagine what this would be like if it was jake and i up there.

as well as amy and lucas, i looked at jake a lot. i glanced at him and thought of him with a little flower in his pocket, holding my hand at the altar and slipping a wedding ring on my finger. i think a couple of times, he caught me staring.

"i know pronounce and husband and wife. you may kiss the bride" the guy wedding them said, i later found out this was jake's captain. amy smiled before kissing her husband, the whole room cheering for them.

after the speeches and the meal and the first dance, it started to get late and half of the people had left. on our table, it was just me and jake left.

"we did good. co-planning this wedding" jake said to me, holding his champagne glass up at mine. we clink them together and both take a sip, feeling very proud of ourselves.

as we were talking, a slow song came on and we noticed some of the couples, including the bride and groom, got up to dance. i wasn't one for dancing but jake insisted that he have this dance.

he held my hand as we went to the dance floor and his other hand came to hold my waist, my arms falling to his shoulders. as the song progresses, jake speaks up.

"i noticed you kept staring at me during the ceremony. am i too much for you in this tux?" he asks me, momentarily detaching himself from me to straighten up his bow tie. i laugh at his actions before his hands hold my waist again.

"that, and i was imagining if that was us up there" i say with slight embarrassment, thinking that jake might think i was being stupid or too forward.

"honestly, i was thinking about it too. our wedding would be so cool" he says, glancing around him.

"our wedding would kick ass!" i agree, locking my fingers behind jakes neck.

"oh yeah" jake says in a husky voice, nodding his head. we both smile.

jake leans down, pressing his lips to mine. i melt into the kiss, feeling myself submitting to him. he pulls away and rests his forehead on mine, his hot breath fanning my face and small chuckles falling from his mouth.

"i love you so much" he says, pressing another smaller kiss to my lips.

"i love you too" i reply as we dance some more, even though the song had ended.