fourty two

my hands let go of the tight grip they had on my scalp as i stand in the middle of the bullpen. gina and charles were trying to desperately hang the 'welcome home' banner but all they were achieving was calling each other every name under the sun. captain holt was arguing with terry about the best flavour of yoghurt, an argument that surely captain holt knew he would lose. amy was debating with rosa which bowl the chips should go in and which the popcorn should. and of course, hitchcock and scully were doing absolutely nothing.

my breathing started to rapidly increase and i was becoming more stressed with every word which was shouted by my fellow detectives. my eyes momentarily closed before they opened in pure anger.

"STOP!" i screamed, everyone in the bullpen pausing what they were doing and turning around to stare at me in shock and amazement. i sigh, clutching the bridge of my nose before i spoke again.

"all i want is a banner put up, some snacks put onto our desks and a nice welcome for jake to come home to after he's been undercover with the mafia for ten months. is that seriously too much to ask?!" i exclaimed, holding my arms out. the detectives and uniformed officers glance at each other in shame at their actions. they get back to what they were supposed to be doing.

before i could even breathe normally again, something else went wrong. gina was currently arguing with charles about whether the banner was level and that's when i lost it. i was organising the bottles of beer on my desk when my temper was long gone. i slammed one of the bottles down, surprisingly it didn't smash, i used a hell of a lot of force.

"that's it! i give up! you can do this shit yourselves!" i scream, thrusting the other beer bottle in my other hand at amy before i stormed out of the bullpen, down the corridor and into the evidence room.

i burst in and slammed the door. in the middle of the room, i just kept with the rapid breathing in attempt to calm myself down.

instead of that happening, i just broke down. sadness and anger took over me as tears slipped down my face. my hand held onto the shelf beside me as my free hand shielding my eyes as i sobbed in the lockup.

all i wanted was for this day to be perfect. jake had been undercover for ten months now and the only contact i've had with him was a letter i was allowed to send once he'd been undercover for six months. even then, everyone else spoke to him too and i didn't get to say much. i dont even know where he's been, i've been on my own the entire time. each day, my heart aches for him and hope builds up only to be knocked down once i get to work and realise that he's not coming home yet. but three days ago, captain holt pulled me into his office and told me he was coming home today. so, i decided to throw him a welcome home party in the bullpen and we could all celebrate his return but nothing is going right.

i take many deep breaths as i wipe my tears that had fallen down my cheeks. i took one final breath before i opened the door to the evidence lockup. i was still quite angry but definitely not as angry as i was coming into the evidence room.

i walk down the hallway and before i reach the bullpen, i speak up.

"i swear to god, if anything else goes wrong, i will shove a stapler up the culprit's ass!" i warn as i walk in. i look up to see the face i'd been waiting to see for ten months.

there, stood jake. his bag over his shoulder and his suitcase in his grip. he simply drops them to the ground and opens his arms. i feel tears coming along again as i run across the bullpen and into his arms, jumping up and resting myself on his hips. i wrap my arms around him as tight as i possibly could, his arms doing the same. his aroma entered my nostrils and that was enough for tears to fall once more.

jake pulls his head away from mine, immediately attaching our lips. it had been months since i last kissed him and it was undoubtedly the best kiss of my entire life. my hand held his neck as i got off him, standing before him. as always, his hand cupped my cheek as his hips came forward.

after a moment, we pulled away, gasping for air. his hand still cupped my cheek as he spoke.

"i've missed you so much" he whispers, briefly pressing his lips to mine. i close my eyes, nodding my head in agreement.

"what i want to know is why you're shoving staplers up people's asses" he asks me, tilting his head. i chuckle in embarrassment as i glance at my fellow detectives. before i could answer, captain holt steps forward.

"it was our fault. y/n wanted to have a welcome home party for you and we weren't co-operating and doing what she wished. and for that, we apologise" he explains, the rest of the bullpen nodding. i smile, thanking my colleagues as they apologise to me.

"we missed you jakey!" charles exclaimed, running up and hugging jake. his eyes widen as he's taken by surprise but he soon hugs him back, realising that he's missed his best friend and his partner.

"i missed you too, buddy. i've missed all of you. i've missed amy's binders, i've missed rosa's leather jackets, i've missed terry's yoghurts, i've missed charles' weird food kink, i've also missed hitchcock and scully's food kink. and i've missed everything about y/n" he says turning to me again, wrapping his arm around my waist as he speaks to everyone.

"how was it?" rosa asks him, folding her arms across her chest. jake sighs, bringing me closer to him.

"honestly, kinda scary. sometimes they didn't believe i was on their side and sometimes i genuinely thought i'd die. but it was all for the job. and you know, i got a lot of time to think on this mission, to think about a lot of things. i mean, you know me, i never think. but the thing i've thought about the most is all of my relationships. how much i love you guys" he says, smiling at his colleagues. i too smile, glancing up at him.

"but the relationship i've thought about the most is ours, y/n" he says. his arm detached from me and he reaches into his back pocket. my hand flies up to cover my mouth as i see him getting down on one knee. he pulls a velvet box out of his pocket and pops it open to reveal a diamond ring.

"y/n, you're the most important person in my life and i wouldn't change you or this connection we have for the world. i missed you with everything i have on this mission and i'm ready to give you everything i have because i love you with all my heart. you're beautiful, you're smart, you're amazing, and you're as immature as me and that's what i love about us. y/n  y/l/n, will you marry me?"

i stand there, speechless. the only form of communication and agreement i could give jake was a frantic nod. he smiles from ear to ear as he stands up, slipping the ring on my fourth finger. the entire bullpen applauds as jake's hand cups my face once again. our lips softly kiss and the room diminishes and it's just the two of us. i smile into the kiss and as i do, so does jake. we pull away and look at our colleagues, who are also smiling. even captain holt, who i can't believe.

"well, i think we should all go the bar and get wasted" jake suggests. a huge cheer sounds as we all grab our jackets and leave the bullpen. jake's hand slips in mine, his lips quickly pressing to the back of my hand before we walk  out of the precinct onto the cold brooklyn streets.