fifty three

i sigh, rubbing my eyes as i place my clipboard down on the receptionist's desk.

"rough shift?" she asks me, tilting her head to the side. i nod my head, smiling and chuckling slightly.

"it's not even half over" i tell her, grabbing my coffee cup and taking a sip before i smile at her once more and return to my assigned ward. i check my clipboard, seeing who i had to see next. i nod my head, going to the room where my next patient was assigned.

as i walked in, i see around eight people crowded around the bed. i check the name of my patient and clear my throat.

"well, well, aren't you popular jake?" i ask, everyone turning to me. in the bed, sat a beautiful young man, jake of course. his leg was in a cast and was elevated in order to allow recovery. i check my clipboard once again to see what his situation was.

"so, you were shot and broke your leg. the same leg? wow, that's unlucky" i say, shaking my head. jake shrugged his shoulders and made an 'eh' noise.

"what you gonna do?" he says, a woman with black hair shaking her head and smiling whilst a professional-looking woman next to her rolled her eyes.

"ok, i am going to take you down to the x-ray to double check the break you have and then i'll bring you here and change your cast for a more permanent one. sound good?" i say, raising my eyebrows. jake nods his head, smiling at me and bidding his what i assume to be colleagues goodbye before a nurse comes in and rolls him to the neighbouring ward.

"what happened to him?" i ask the man stood beside me.

"he's an nypd officer and he was shot in the line of duty. unfortunately, he was stood high up and the shock of the bullet caused him to fall and he landed on his feet and he snapped his leg" he explained. i closed my eyes, grimacing as i shook my head.

"yikes. well thank you.."

"captain holt. and thank you for taking good care of jake, we really appreciate it" holt says as he shakes my hand. i reply with a quiet 'oh it's nothing' before i exit the ward and head to the next one to examine jake.

when i arrived, he was being wheeled out by the radiologist.

"i've completed his x-ray, i'll get you his results in a few moments" he tells me. i thank him, nodding my head as i wheel him into the next room. i placed him in the corner of the room and grabbed my supplies.

"i heard what happened to you. today is just your unlucky day, isn't it?" i say, laughing slightly. jake laughs too, his laugh sounding almost angelic. i shake my head, trying to get these thoughts out of it. i'm his doctor and he my patient. it's unprofessional.

"ok, so i am going to bandage you up and get you back to your ward. when i get your results back, i can assess you and how long it will be til you're fit to go home" i tell him. he nods his head, sighing and lying back as he allows me to do his cast.

as i'm fixing it up, i seem to slightly knock it and jake lets out a pained scream.

"shit i'm sorry!" i say, rubbing his other leg in comfort. he takes a few sharp breaths but soon calms down.

once i'm done, i throw his old cast into a waste bin, ready for one of the nurses to pick up.

as i'm wheeling him back to his ward, he asks me to stop. he beckons me to stand beside him and i do so.

"you know, once i have this cast off and i can actually walk again, you and me should go out to dinner" he says, wiggling his eyebrows. as much as i loved that idea, i shook my head.

"oh, jake no. we can't. i'm your doctor and you're my patient. that's unprofessional and actually illegal. aren't you a cop?" i ask, placing one of my hands on my hips.

"i am but you aren't going to be my doctor for much longer. i was told i would have the same doctor for a few weeks, until my leg is healed and then i would have a physical therapist. so come on, what do you say? will you let me take you out to dinner?" he asks again, slightly smirking at me.

i contemplate his offer for a second time, weighing up the pros and cons. finally, i make my decision.

"alright. you're on" i say, nodding my head. i stand behind the bed again to wheel him when he pipes up.

"i won't be the one unable to walk then, will i?" he cheekily mutters to himself. i gasp, kicking the bed he's in. he bursts out laughing as he re-enters his ward as my face burns red.

"jake cracking more jokes, is he?" one of jake's colleagues says. i glance at jake as i place him back in his place.

"yeah, something like that"

a/n  sorry i haven't updated in quite a while, i've been kind of busy with studying and exams etc.

i hope you liked this chapter and i hope i'm not slacking x