seventeen

*warning, slight smut*

my anxiety washes over me, fades and then washes over me again. i was stuck in a continuous, vicious loop as i sat in the back of the undercover police vehicle. my fingers fidgeted with each other and my breathing was slightly rattled, i sounded like an eighty year old woman. 

ok so a little context to my current situation. i was walking down the street on my way to the grocery store as i was trying to cook dinner for my fiancé before he came home from work and i forgot the seasoning. when doing so, i happened to witness a murder right before my eyes, some guy, his face covered with a black ski mask, shot a woman walking a couple of feet in front of me several times before he ran away and left her to die. 

the police officer in the front of the car was silent, possibly listening out for anymore intel on the case. it didn't matter much anyway because the police precinct of this area was fairly close by and frankly, after experiencing what i just did, i wasn't in the mood for small talk. also the officer driving that demanded that she hates small talk and unless its about the murder, i shouldn't say anything. 

she parked outside the precinct and told me to get out. since this was an emergency, i didn't have to fill out the essential form until after i had given a witness statement. the officer, who i found out was called detective diaz, ordered that a uniformed officer bring the form up for me. he nodded quickly and scurried off, seeming terrified of diaz. 

we went up the elevator and went into the bullpen, seeing many of the detectives at work. she tells me to follow her and as i do and sit down, the captain of the precinct comes over. 

"ah rosa, is this a witness of the sackett street murder that occurred an hour ago?" he asked, rosa nodding her head as she gets out a notepad and a pen. she asked for my name, age and occupation before interrogating me about what I saw. 

"ok. run through the events of the murder from your point of view" she demanded, looking up from her notepad to look at me. i fidgeted with my fingers again before taking a deep breath and responding. 

"well i was walking down the street to get some groceries and like three metres in front of me, this guy in a black ski mask comes out of nowhere and fires like ten shots at this random woman" i explain, rosa writing down everything i say. 

"did you recognise any of the people involved or around?" 

"no" i respond truthfully. before rosa could ask the next question, loud cheers come from down the hallway. detective diaz and i both turn around to see two detectives running with their arms in the air and big smiles on their faces. my heart drops to my stomach as i see the man running. 

he was jake peralta. we dated like three years ago but after a year or so, he ended things on the claim that he'd fallen in love with someone else, and not me. 

jake jumps into his desk chair, spinning around several times before standing up again. 

"ladies and gentleman! amy and I just got news that douglas minetta has been put in prison for life!" he announced, everyone but rosa and i cheered along with him. 

"jake, shut up for like ten minutes! i'm trying to question this witness on the sackett street murder!" she shouts and i turn my head so he doesn't see me. 

"wait. y/n?"

didn't work. 

i quietly groan before turning around, seeing jake stood a metre away from me. he had a confused and surprised expression on his face as he looked at me. i awkwardly laughed and smiled as he stood there.