twenty nine

*this chapter is based on s5 ep 20 'show me going*

yeah well his task force sucked" jake said to charles, shaking his head at the fact he missed the chance to work with one of the coolest detectives of the nypd. as they walk into the bullpen, they see the rest of the detectives and sergeants gathered around gina's desk.

"wait, what's this?" he asks, walking over to join them.

"there's an active shooter in the brooklyn heights hotel. we're getting intel about the situation" captain holt informed the two. jake and charles nod, sending each other a look before listening to the walkie-talkie placed on the desk.

it spoke many different names and many different badge numbers.

"y/l/n, 9827" it announced.

jake's heart stopped. everyone's hearts stopped. they didn't even have to think about it, they knew it was y/n's badge number.

"y/n's there" rosa said, barely above a whisper. the whole nine-nine fell silent, criminals included. everyone knew who y/n was, everyone loved her. well, besides the people she put in jail, they probably hate her guts and are planning their revenge on her.

"no. no no, we have to go there. right now" jake says, running over to his desk.

"peralta, no. we can't go there, we have not been instructed to do so" terry demands, calmly walking over to his fellow detective. jake was panicking, frantically dialling y/n's number.

"i can't lose her. we have to get her" jake exclaimed, waiting for his girlfriend to pick up the phone. terry took the phone out of his hand and placed it above his head so jake couldn't reach it.

"jake, listen. we are all very worried for y/n's safety, of course we are. but the best thing to do right now is to listen for anymore information on the situation and to remain here, doing our jobs" terry tells him, carefully placing his phone back down onto his desk.

after a moment of considering, jake nods his head, agreeing with terry. he sits down at his desk, opening one of his case files.

an hour went by and still nothing was heard from the active shooter situation. jake got more agitated by the minute. his leg bounced continuously and his teeth bit down on his pen. as he was doing so, he felt a presence beside him.

"listen, i'm not very good at this kind of thing but i know you need it right now. y/n is going to be fine, she's a strong person. we wouldn't have so much faith in her if we thought she wasn't. i know it's hard but you need to stop panicking, she'll come back and be the exact same person as she was when she left this morning" rosa explained, hesitating before placing her hand on jake's.

jake harboured a warm smile, nodding his head.

"thank you so much rosa" he replies, giving her a hug. normally, she'd reject a hug but her best friend was in need so she accepted it. as they were doing so, they heard the walkie-talkie starts to make noises. everyone shot up from their seats and stood around the communication tool once again.

"fifteen civilians shot, and two officers down. officer jones and detective y/l/n" it announced. jake gasped, holding his hands over his mouth. tears started to form in his eyes as his body slowly fell into the chair beside the desk.

"y/n's been shot" amy says, her mouth gaping.

have you ever read in stories were a silence was so chilling? this was exactly what happened throughout the bullpen at this exact second.

"w-we have to go" jake stuttered, not caring to grab his jacket before heading out into a december day.

"you aren't fit to drive in your state. i will take you. terry, keep the bullpen in order. amy, keep the uniformed officers in order. the rest of you, come with us" captain holt ordered, everyone complying.

charles, gina, rosa, jake and captain holt all head out of the precinct and get into an unmarked vehicle. at the perfect moment, the walkie talkie announced that the injured had been taken to the brooklyn methodist hospital.

it took a swift five minutes to get there, captain holt using the sirens and lights to get them there quicker.

jake jumped out of the car and rushed inside, leaving his friends behind. as he rushed inside, he saw some of the victims of the shooting sat in the waiting room. he ran to the front desk, slamming his hands down and making the receptionist jump.

"has y/n y/l/n come in here?!" he asked in panic, his fingers tapping on the desk to try and calm his anxiety. she went onto her laptop but before she could tell him, a doctor walked out.

"excuse me. are you looking for y/n y/l/n?" he asked jake. jake frantically nodded his head in response and the doctor lead him down the hallway.

"i believe she jumped in front of a bullet for several civilians to avoid them being shot. unfortunately, she was shot in the arm but we successfully removed the bullet and stitched her up. she's in here" the doctor announced, pointing to the door beside the two of them. jake thanks the doctor and walks into the room.

there, he saw his girlfriend, sat on a hospital bed. her face was scratched and a bandage was wrapped around her right arm.

there was no words to describe the feelings jake felt the moment he saw her. happy, sad, thrilled, worried. there were too many unexplainable emotions.

"y/n" he breathed, smiling as his heroic lady. she glanced up at him, their eyes immediately starting to tear up. she laughed, holding her arms out for jake to jump into. well, arm. he did so, giving her the potentially biggest hug he'd ever given her in the year or so they'd been together. they simply stayed like that for a moment, just being happy to see each other. she kept her arm around him as she budged up and he sat on the bed with her.

"i'm so happy you're ok" jake whispered, turning y/n's head to his. he leaned in, his lips connecting with hers. fireworks exploded all around them. this happened every time they kissed but today, today it was something different.

"are you ok?" jake asks her, putting her at arms length so he could examine her. she took a fairly shaky breath before replying.

"i'm a little shook up but i'm ok. but getting shot hurts like fuck. oh my god!" she says, laughing slightly at the end of her sentence. jake smiles at her, realising she was the greatest thing in his life. as he had this revelation, he kissed her again, deeper.

"are we interrupting?" captain holt asks, coming into the room with charles, gina and rosa.

"no. i'm so glad to see you guys" y/n says, smiling at them.

"we're so glad to see you!" charles exclaimed, holding his hand over his chest and sighing with relief. y/n chuckles, laying her head down on jake's shoulder.

as she looks at her colleagues, her friends, the people she loves, she realises hoe lucky she is to be alive. fair enough, she had a bulletproof vest on but she could have very easily been hurt more than she did. before, she didn't think about the gift of life but going through this today, she now began to appreciate everything she had in life.

"i love you guys" she says with meaning, looking up at jake and pressing a brief kiss to his lips.

a/n i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.

i logged on today to see i have over 10k reads. i never ever imagined i'd have that many reads in this book, that's incredible. thank you guys so so much for reading my work x