ten

my head slams down onto my desk, loud but quiet groans erupting from my mouth as i wallow in self pity.

"looks like someone is d in the d" i hear jake say. gina shouts a triumphant 'yes!' just as that phrase is said. i sigh, lifting my head up to see jake sat across from me at his desk. i was seated her in place of amy as she has just been named sergeant of the uniformed officers. 

"i am. this case is so hard to crack, it's getting me so stressed" i tell him, blowing a stray strand of hair out of my face. he shows me a confused face as he walks over to my desk. he bends over to glance at the case file and the traces of evidence that i have pulled up on my computer.

"ok so this guy murdered his entire family, severed each ear from each member and cuts their nose off. my god he's a psycho" he says, reading over what was on the page.

"i know that dipshit! i've found that and written it down" i shout, slamming my hands hard down onto the desk. jake's eyes widen as he watches me react.

"i'm sorry, this case is just stressing me out. have your best crack at it, i'm going for a drink on the roof" i infirm him, grabbing a flask from my desk and walking through the door and onto the roof. i sigh, letting my back hit the wall as i take a sip from the metal flask.

i don't know why this case was stressing me out so much, i'm normally so good at solving cases but i'm just not on my a-game at the moment.

"i've got it!" i hear a voice scream from behind me, i swiftly turn to see jake stood there with the file in his hand. i walk in, slipping the flask back into the drawer at my desk and grabbing my nypd jacket, jake doing the same.

as i'm grabbing my jacket, charles creeps over to jake, nudging his shoulder. i see him whisper to jake and i just about catch what he's saying.

"stakeout with y/n, huh? bet that's gonna be fun for you" he says, winking at his best friend and colleague. jake shakes his head as he adjusts his jacket.

"charles, will you stop with that. y/n and i are work colleagues and nothing more. ok? and i'm pretty sure she's not into me so drop it" he tells charles. he gives jake a disagreeing look however he dismisses it, calling me so we could catch the perp.

the pair of us take the elevator, run outside and climb into an unmarked car. as i drive away from the precinct, jake explains how he cracked the case.

"so, the guy made sure he got a part of the body from each member. right? but each time, it was the same body part. that could only mean that one person could be in the spotlight here" jake explains. i gasp, slamming my foot on the brake as we were near the place where this murder was suspected to be. jake jolts forward out of surprise and force.

"greg johnson! the suspected murder ear, nose and throat doctor you brought in four years ago!" i exclaim, jake frantically nodding his head.

"how do you know he's going to be here?" i ask, pointing to the doctors surgery we were parked a few yards away from. 

"i gathered his schedule and waited for three hours for him to come out of work when i first caught him" he told me.

for a moment, the pair of us sit in silence. jake is quiet because he is waiting for johnson to walk out of his workplace but i'm quiet as i'm thinking about what i heard charles say to my partner earlier. jake likes me? for how long? when did it start? how did he like me? should i do something?

i mean jake's cute, very cute in fact. and i love the fact that he makes me laugh constantly, and that i get to work with him a lot.

oh my god. i like jake. how i actually never noticed this until now. i've worked with him for five years now, not once have i ever considered that fact.

as i go to ask jake about it, he slaps my arm.

"there's our perp" he says, getting out of the car. i get out too, placing my hands on my gun. jake holds his detective badge up to show greg, claiming that we need to bring him in for questioning. in a state of panic, he bolts.

"you go ahead, i'll cut him off in the alley" i demand, rubbing away from jake.

after a hot pursuit of nearly twelve blocks, i took him down into a pile of garbage bags. reciting what needs to be when a person is arrested, i place the guy in handcuffs and lead him to the car.

with the perp tightly in our grip,  jake and i walk back into the precinct, putting the guy in the perp cell.

"guess who just could the family murderer!" jake announced, pointing his thumbs at himself. i laugh at his childishness and the rest of the detectives applaud us.

"how did you solve it?" terry asks me, standing up from his desk.

"i didn't, jake did. turns out the description of what he did matched a guy jake brought in four years ago so, all applause goes to jake" i say, patting his shoulders before returning to my desk. as i did so, he made a nervous giggle sound before taking his jacket off. i pull a confused face before i start writing my arrest report.

after thirty minutes, i place the report on the captains desk, asking gina if she could tell him that it was there because he was currently at one police plaza but she just mumbled a 'whatever'. she was obviously too preoccupied on her phone to listen to me.

"y/n! your perp's ready to interrogate, jake's already in there!" the sarge announced to me. i nod my head, shouting a 'thanks!' before walking down the corridor to the interrogation room. as i do so, i decide that this is the time fo ask jake about why charles was saying that stuff before we went out earlier. well, obviously after the essential interrogation.

within an hour, he confessed to every charge. i did most of the work, jake just shouted at me from the mirrored glass. one of the uniformed officers came in to take the guy back to the perp cell.

jake comes into the room, giving me congratulations on getting him to talk. as he goes to high five me, i refuse, putting his hand down.

"jake, before we went out. i heard you and charles talking earlier. is it true what he said?" i ask, folding my arms across my chest. he lets out a loud, nervous laugh, slipping his hands into his pockets. i shoot him a doubting look, to which he took a deep breath in and sighed to.

"alright. what charles did say was true, i do kind of like you. but it's cool if you don't" he says, grabbing the door handle to walk out. i slam the door, placing my hands on his face and softly pressing my lips to his. immediately, the two of us melt into the kiss, jakes hands falling to my waist.

after a moment, we pull away, resting our foreheads together, catching our breath.

"i kind of like you too" i whisper, we both laugh as we put our heads up. he nods before proposing a suggestion to me.

"how's about we go for dinner tonight? say around eight?" he asks, raising his eyebrows. i think about it before replying.

"i'd love to, jake" i reply before he opens the door, allowing me to go through and we both walk back to the bullpen together.