fourty

i nod my head, standing up from my table. my 'best friend' and 'fiancé' try to call me back but i was long gone. well, not physically but emotionally, definitely.

"i hope you're happy together" i tell them, barely above a whisper. as i turn and start to walk away, the sounds of the bar atmosphere and my name being called started to become blurred. my head shook and spun as my legs carried me out of the bar onto the cold, rainy new york streets.

i sighed as i wiped my fallen tears, standing at the entrance of the bar i was previously in. i stumble and begin to walk away, i wasn't sure whether i was going in the right direction but honestly, i didn't really care. just as long as i got as far away as possible from this place.

after stumbling a block or two, i stopped, leaning against the wall of a café. my right hand comes to my forehead as my eyes tightly close. sobs fall from my mouth as tears fall from my eyes. i can feel my chest closing up as i stand and cry on the street. many people walk past and stare at me but they simply walk on, not dreaming of interacting with me.

with the hand that was previously laid on my forehead, i clutch my chest, trying to catch my breath. i just continue to break down as i do so.

"hey" a voice above me calmly said. i look up to see a man; around five foot eight, leather jacket, hoodie, plaid shirt, dreamy eyes. i seem to stop crying within an instant as i look at this man stood above me.

"are you ok?" he asks, giving me a glance before rubbing my arm. i sniff, momentarily closing my eyes before i correct my posture and stand before this man.

"i'm fine" i reply, giving a small, fake smile before i gather myself again.

"i know that's not true. a pretty girl like you should not be in this part of town at this time of night. especially not in the state you're in" he tells me, titling his head. my cheeks heat up slightly as he calls me pretty. i'm sure it's because of the emotional trauma that i've been through tonight though. i shake my head, waving my hand at him.

"well, i seem to find myself here. don't i?" i say, holding my arms out. i chuckle in sympathy and pathetically at myself as i re-evaluate my current situation.

"wanna talk about it?" he asks me, tilting his head once again. i look away for a moment as i decide before i look back at this man. he seemed genuine, but so did my fiancé, and didn't that end well?

"alright, i'll have a drink with you" i tell him, nodding my head and taking myself off of the wall. a smile comes to his face as he watches me. i readjust the shoe on my foot before i walk off with this man.

"i'm jake by the way" he introduces, holding his hand out for me. i nod my head, shaking his hand.

"y/n" i reply. jake smiles as we walk along the damp streets of the city. many times, we walk past available bars and with every one we pass, i get more confused. but jake simply shakes his head with each one.

"you need to let it all out properly" he tells me.

we approach a liquor store and i nod my head, laughing to myself.

"i like your thinking, jake" i tell him as we grab multiple alcohol bottles from the fridge. jake politely paid for our stash and even tipped the worker. the acne-ridden, gormless teenager simply nodded his head at us as we got our things and went.

as jake took me around the corner, i realise he had brought us to sit at the east river. i smile, not even realising how close to the east river we actually were.

i was about to sit on the floor, against the railing when jake stopped me. he took his coat off and laid on the floor, then allowing me to sit down. i kindly thank him before we both sit down, quickly going into our bags and opening our alcohol bottles. i quickly take a swig of some wkd before jake turns to me.

"so, why are you here, at one in the morning on a july evening, with a complete stranger drinking vodka on the east river?" jake asked me, raising his eyebrows. i sigh before i reply.

"my fiancé cheated on me with my best friend. i left down for a weekend for work and i came back to everything normal. anyway, this work event was two weeks ago and tonight, they sat me down and told me that they slept together twice that weekend and that my fiancé didn't want to be with me anymore but with her. they wanted my fucking blessing" i explained, nodding my head as i took another massive swig of the alcohol, cringing as i do so. jake's eyes widen as i finish my story, his head shaking.

"what a dick. they're both dicks" he says, turning his head to me once again. i nod my head, my top lip touching my teeth as i do so.

"exactly. god! i wasted seven years of my life on that guy! seven! when i could have been spending them with someone special. hell, i could have missed out on the chance of meeting the one" i sadly say, glancing at the river and the new york skyline behind me. i sigh, drinking my alcohol.

"that's not necessarily true. mr right could still be out there" jake tells me, trying to comfort me and make me feel better.

"like who? i've wasted my chance!" i exclaim, throwing myself back onto the railing behind me.

"like me" jake says. my brows furrow in confusion as i turn to him. he simply stares at me, not in a weird way. in a way i can't seem to understand nor describe.

"what do you mean?" i ask. but i didn't get an explanation, i got something much, much better.

jake leant forward, his hand coming to my face. our lips are inches away for a moment or two when he smashes them together. as if by magic, fireworks across the river exploded, as if to show what was happening in the both of us. jake budged himself closer to me as i simply melted into the kiss. all the tension, the anger and the upset left my body as my lips were connected with this stranger's, with this man that i have known for thirty minutes. but, i had known him forever.

jake was the one to pull away first, resting his forehead on mine. our hot breaths fanned against each other's faces as we simply sat there, in complete awe of each other.

"i guess you're right" i breathe as our lips attached once again.

a/n  i'm so sorry i haven't updated in a few weeks, i've just been kinda busy. by 'kinda busy' i basically mean that i've been watching 'orange is the new black'. that show is addictive what the fuck

anyway, i hope you've enjoyed this chapter