thirteen

my eyes finally close, some signs of relief flowing through my body as i feel sleep starting to slowly take over. of course, this was a temporary event.

the sound of screaming made my droopy eyes burst open. i groan, swinging my legs over the bed and walking out of the room and into my daughters room. she lied on her back in her wooden cot by the window, kicking her arms and legs as she cries at the top of her lungs. i make shushing sounds as i carefully lift her out.

i reach over to grab her bottle from the bedside table, placing it in her mouth. she silenced herself almost immediately, which made me internally curse at her.

our daughter was currently three months old and she is driving me crazy. she just screams constantly and since jake was put on the night shift until a few days ago, i've been having to get up with her all through the night and get up with her in the morning as jake has had to go to bed.

sitting on the chair across the room, i place poppy on my chest and softy pat her back. once she's winded, i put her pacifier in her mouth and she lays back down in her cot. the covers go over her and her eyes close.

i sigh, arching my back in fatigue as i wonder back into my bedroom. i see jake is still asleep, his front facing the wall. i whisper many curse words to him, climbing back into bed.

within twenty minutes, i hear poppy screaming again. as i go to swing my legs over for the seventh time tonight, i feel a hand stop me and push me back down.

"i've got this" jake says, his eyes still closed as he gets out of bed. being too tired to argue, i nod my head, lying back down on my back.

jake's been a good dad so far. he was there for the entire delivery, he has been doing as much as he can when he's been here, he's been out and done grocery shopping. he's lived up to his promise.

ten minutes had passed and jake still hadn't come back into our room. normally, poppy screams for attention and when she gets it, she goes straight back to sleep.

rubbing my eyes, i walk out of the room and stand at the doorway of our daughters, not walking in as i hear jake talking to her.

"you know, you make your mummy so tired. you're so beautiful but you really are a pain. your mummy is so perfect, looking after you twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. i wish i could be here with you so often but i'm afraid i'm out saving the city" he says, making sure to make his precious sentence very dramatic. i stifle a giggle as i keep listening to him speak.

"you look just like your mummy. you've got dazzling blue eyes, beautiful wisps of blonde hair. you're my best girl" he says, pressing a kiss to her nose.

"hey! i thought that was me" i whisper-shout, walking into the room. jake seems in shock as he gathers that i've been listening to him speak to his daughter.

"you're both my best girls" he says to which i roll my eyes to whilst smiling at the image of my husband and his little girl.

"you're such a good dad, you know. even if you're always out saving the city" i tell him, glancing up at me. he glances out the window, putting one of his hands on his hip and striking a heroic pose. i laugh and he flips his hair.

"come on, she's fallen asleep" i quietly tell him as he gathers himself again. he nods at me, placing poppy carefully down into her crib and creeping out of the room with me. the two of us tip-toe back into our bedroom and practically through ourselves down onto the bed which seemed like the most amazing thing in the world right now.

"do you really think i'm a good dad?" jake asks, turning his head to me as his arm comes around my waist.

"the best" i reply, pressing a kiss to his cheek before i close my eyes, happiness filling me up as i fall asleep.

a/n this chapter is so fluffy and soft oh my god.

but seriously jake as a dad is the best concept