38: Peace Out, Dawg

Chapter 38: Peace Out, Dawg

Luna*

I pulled the Doctor into I hug, even with my wet clothes, "Thank you!"

She patted my back awkwardly, "I'm just doing my job."

After, we were told to go down to the waiting room until they finished de-wiring Ace. His parents had arrived the second that they were told his son would be let out.

They were standing and a desk with the doctor and a nurse, signing papers for Ace to be discharged. There were also flashing cameras a little distance away from the hospital around the parking lot, just waiting to snag a peek of the President and come up with an exaggerated title for a magazine.

Caroline, 'Mama Crawford', was the first one to spot Ace walking down the corridor not in a hospital gown but in his normal clothes.

"Ma- I mean Ace!" She got up from her chair and enveloped her son into his arms.

"My boy," Ross was next and he did his cool handshake with him.

I watched them have a conversation when Ace's eyes scanned the waiting room as if look for someone. Then they landed on me.

I saw a sparkle in his eyes when he winked at me then signalled for me to come over. I did and stood next to the tall family.

"Cupcake! Nice to see you again!" Ace's mom really thought my name was cupcake.

"Carol, her name is Luna," Ross sighed.

"I only get to call her Cupcake." Ace pouted and folded his arms like a 5 year old.

"Is it not..what do you kids call them these days? Train? Plane?" She rambled.

"It's a ship mom.."

"Yeah, those things, a ship name?"

"Where is Ace even a little bit in Cupcake?"

"There is an A, C and and E in there, right?" Mama Crawford challenged him to prove her wrong.

"I- That's not how it works." This launched a debate about the name Cupcake between mother and son.

Ross and I shared a look, he must've been through this many a times.

When Ace reluctantly agreed with his mom they finally decided to call it a day. Even though it was only 12.

"Wanna come back to ours? My mom's making her special spaghetti." Ace suggested while his parents left to finish the discharge papers.

"You know I would love to," This our a smile on his face, "But we both know that it's a bad idea."

"Why?" He paused then thought back to first and last time I went to his house, "Ohh, about that I was-"

"I already said it's okay, Ace," I jumbled with the car keys we rented, "You'll tell me in your own time and when you do, I will understand why you kept it from me."

His eyes held an emotion in them that I couldn't decipher and he mumbled something that I couldn't hear.

"I'm going to go back home with Raven and Noah," I pointed over my shoulder at them where they were fighting over fifty cent coin on the floor, "I'm sure your parents would love to talk with you for 2 hours on the way home."

"Ugh, no don't let me die like that." He had a cheeky grin on his face.

"Hmm What was that?" I pretended not to hear him and quickly answered before he could, "Nothing? Okay, bye!"