Chapter Twelve: Emergency stop

Michael's POV
Friday April 10th, 1987

I was so happy at the moment, but sad at the same time. I've wanted for so long to get a girl that I love and can be with forever, and I think I've found her. But I don't want her to undergo all of the media crap I go through. It would just make it so hard for her. We had only known each other for about 5 days, and I was already in love with her. I was just worried that if something didnt work out, I would be heartbroken, and if it does work out, I have to go back to LA and leave her, I mean I could ask her to come, but not now.

I told Kenny just to go south. I knew that if we kept going, we would hit Kentucky. I was kinda hoping to stop there, I'd never been to Kentucky before. It would take roughly 4 hours to get there, so we had quite the ride ahead of us.

Shelby and I were talking for a little while now, and looking at the dark night.

"Come here, I wanna play with your hair," she said to me. So I laid my head in her lap so that she could play with it.

"Oh my god your hair so so much better than mine!"she laughed

"Thank you," I laughed back.

She sat quietly, still playing with my hair.

"Hey Kenny, will you turn on the radio please," I asked

"Sure thing Mike," He said, Turing it up.

Different songs like from Guns N Roses came on, and Shelby said I should try to sing like Axl Rose.

"Come on please! I wanna see your Axl Rose impression," she asked

"Okay, fine," I said laughing

I started singing Sweet Child O' Mine, which came on the radio, forcing my voice into the strange pitch that is Axl Rose, Shelby laughed really hard.

"That was REALLY good!" She said

"Thanks," I said, in Axl's speaking voice.

Then Madonna's Material girl came on.

"Hey Shelby, now you have to do a Madonna impression!!" I said

"Oh fine ," she said waiting for the chorus.

Then it came

"Cause we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl! Oh cause we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl," she sang.

I literally thought I was in the same car as Madonna it was that on point.

"Madonna who?" Bill joked from the passengers seat

"Madonna is that you?" I asked Shelby laughing.

"It was that good?" She said.

"Yes! That was great!" I said, sitting up and hugging her.

We listened quietly to the radio for a bit when she said:

"Is this a bad time to need to go to the bathroom?"

"No, no it's okay, we can stop, Kenny; stop at the next exit please," I told Kenny

"Uhh that's gonna be a problem, Mike," He said, pointing to the upcoming traffic.

"Oh hell," I said.

"You gonna be okay Miss. Shelby?" Bill asked like she was some plantation girl.

"Yeah, I'll be okay, I'll make it," she said,  slightly panting.

"You sure?" Asked her.

"Yeah, the traffic can't be that bad, can it?" She said

Oh I hope so.

After about 15 minutes we hadn't gotten very far at all. By now she was holding on to my arms, closing her eyes.

"You Alright?" I asked her, concerned

"Not....really... Is now a bad time to say I got my period yesterday??" She asked

"Oh no, Kenny we gotta stop, she's probably so uncomfortable right now," I said

By now a tear of blood was streaming down her leg

"I'm so sorry I-!" She said, tears in her eyes

"No, no it's not your fault, you can't help it, just hang in there," I said
"Alright mike the exit is coming up just hold on Miss. Shelby," Kenny said, speeding up.

He got on to the exit and pulled into a gas station.

"Come on, let's go," I said, opening the door for her.

It was raining hard out there, so we ran in REAL fast.

We pushed through the doors and ran to the bathroom.

"Wait! I need some pads, go grab those ones," she said

"Umm okay!" I said frantically

I handed them to her, and then She ran into the bathroom. I figured we would just pay for them after. I waited against a wall for about 4 minutes before she came out.

"Better?" I asked her

She nodded yes.

I put my arm around her as we walked into an aisle to get some stuff. She picked out another thing of pads just in case, and a pack of M&Ms. I told her I would pay, and of course she said no, but I told her I insisted. I got a large fuzz blanket for us to share in the car, since it was pretty cold on there. I also got a bottle of water. We put the stuff on the counter and the woman looked tired as hell.

"Ready?"  I asked her

"Yeah I'm ready," she answered

"All better now Miss. Shelby?" Bill said

"Yeah I am," she said

We got situated in the car, and we decided to blast the radio, dancing and singing to all of the songs- including my song- I Just Can't Stop Loving you.

After about 45 minutes of that, we got tired, and Shelby laid her head on my shoulder. I noticed that she was asleep, so I laid down against the door, and laid her on top of me with the blanket on top of her.

She wasn't really fully asleep, so she nestled her head and hands up to my chest.

"Good night, Applehead," She said to me

"Good night, Shelb," I said to her, caressing her long, brown hair.

And then we fell asleep.