Chapter fifthteen: Beat It!

Shelby's POV
April 11th, 1987

"Mother! Listen to me I really am okay! I'm a grown ass adult, I can take care of myself," I said into the phone.

"Don't get smart with me young lady! Just because you're gonna be 26 in two days doesnt mean that im not allowed to worry about you! Where did you say you were?" My mother asked, in her usual "I'm the boss," tone.

"I'm in Louisville, Kentucky. It's barely four hours away, I'll be home in a few days! Just chill!" I kinda screamed.

"4 HOURS?? YOUNG LADY YOU BETTER GET YOUR ASS BACK TO GARY WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS OR I DONT KNOW WHAT ILL DO!" She screamed.

"Mother, I am an adult. I have been for close to 8 years now, you have to put some trust in me, okay?!" I said back, irritated.

"What about your clothes, huh? What are you gonna wear?!!?!" She said angrily.

"Oh my gosh, mother chill out! Michael and I are gonna go shopping today, okay!"

"Michael?? Who is this Michael you speak of!!??" She said

"Michael Jackson,"

"Okay, But please be careful, okay?" She said calmly.

"Okay I will, love you, bye,"

"Love you to, bye,"

Click

"Who was that?" Michael said, walking out of the bathroom.

"My mother,"

"Oh I bet she was all up on you," Michael laughed.

"That's for damn sure," I said, laughing.

"Well I guess we better get going, if we don't wanna get Caught with the press," he said

"I guess not," I laughed as he put his arm around me.

We walked out of the hotel room to meet Bill and Kenny out in the hall.

"You okay Miss. Shelby? We heard you scream last night, the front desk was worried," Bill said.

"Oh it was just a bad dream, that's all," I answered.

Bill nodded his head and led us to the elevator. We were the only ones in there, so it was a quiet ride.

As the elevator went down, Michael said,

"Now just hold my hand and stay close beside me, and DO NOT answer their questions, got it?" Michael said smiling, trying to lighten the mood.

"Got it," I replied, as he put his hand in my, and putting a pair of sunglasses on my face.

He did the same to himself, as the doors opened.

"Ready?"

"Ready,"

We walked out of the elevator, to see hundreds of reporters and journalists all crowded around us.

"Michael, is this the same girl that was hurt?"

"Michael, why did she scream last night?"

"What is her name, Michael?"

"Why is she holding your hand, Michael?"

Michael had no interest in answering them, he kept a straight face as we walked to the doors. I looked over at him, to find him looking straight ahead with a straight face. I tried to do the same and look professional, but it was really hard, when a hundred cameras were in your face. So I just held onto Michael's arm the entire time. After minutes of pushing through the paparazzi, we made it to the car.