Chapter 44: Letter

Shelby's POV
next day 5:30am

"Ms. Henderson?? Ms. Henderson wake up," a voice called as I woke up.

"What," I said, opening my eyes.

It was a nurse.

"Wait, where is he?? Is he okay?" I yelled.

"Ma'am, you can go in now," she laughed.

"Oh thank you so much!!" I cried, leaping up from my seat.

I ran through the doors, and down a hallway. I knew right away which room was Michael's because there's was tones of fan mail, balloons, and flowers outside the door. I ran up to the door, and slowly opened it.

When I walked inside, I saw Michael, laying on the bed, with a white bandage around is head, bruises still on his face, and a breathing mask. He wasn't awake.

I quickly ran to his side, and began to cry. His body so lifeless, nothing like the man I knew, just less than a few hours ago up on that stage.

I was given permission to sit on the bed near to him, so I sat down, and slowly stroked his hand and laid my head on his shoulder.

"Hey Applehead, everything is gonna be okay. Now I know you can't hear me, but I don't care. Whatever's going on inside that big mind of yours is probably terrifying. But I just want you to know that I'm always going to be by your side, and that I will never leave. Even if the world is against you, I will always be here right by your side, okay?" I said.

"Okay," I heard a soft, quiet voice say.

I leapt up from my position, and look at Michael, giving a small but meaningful smile.

"Oh Michael, your okay!" I said, hugging and kissing the life out of him.

"Did you mean every word you said to me?" He asked

"Of course I did, Michael! I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it," I reassured him.

"I know you wouldn't. Now, you're gonna hate me for saying this, but are you okay?" Michael asked me.

I gave him the "really bitch?" Stare.

"Yes, Michael! Of course I'm fine, I'm not the one in the hospital," I laughed.

"Well technically you are in a hospital room so," he joked.

"Yes but I'm not badly injured, and I'm not letting anything like this happen to you again," I said hugging him, and laying myself by his side.

"Shelby, that's my job, to love, and keep you safe." He said, in his soft voice.

"And you're doing a great job, so I have to repay you with doing just the same," I said.

"I love you Mike," I said, hugging him tighter.

"I love you more Shelby," he said.

"Hello Uh, Mr. Jackson? Hi I'm Dr. Sholts," a middle aged man said.

"Hi," I said softly

"So we've just done was tests, and you will need to stay in the hospital for at least another day or so, and then you will be released. But were not admitting you to perform for another few weeks," the doctor said.

"But, I have shows soon. I can't let my fans down," Michael said

"Mike, hey. It's for the best, and your fans want you to be healthy, they will understand," I reassured him

"I know but they payed so much," He said

"Michael, you're only 29 years old. I'm sure there will be more shows to come," I said, giving him tough love.

"Okay," He said quietly.

"Now, why don't we open some fan mail, hmm?" I said, rubbing his back.

"Sure," he answered with

I got up from the bed and went outside the room to drag in the buckets and buckets of fan mail.

"Umm, Shelby. I hate to break it to you, but I think you're gonna have to do a press conference," Michael said as I walked back in.

"Why do you say that?" I said, sitting back down on the bed.

"Because the people are worried about me! They wanna know what's going on whether we like it or not," he said

"Okay, Okay. Just calm down, the last thing your need right now is anxiety," I said, kissing his cheek.

"Alright how about this one," I said.

"Okay," I gently handed the letter to Michael for him to read.

"Dear Michael,

I know exactly what you're going through. When I was 19 years old my best friend Annie was attacked in her apartment. The man came into the window, as Annie hid under the table. After that she ran into her bedroom, and was struck down my the man and killed. To this day, we still don't know who the killer was. It's been 12 years.

With love,
Amanda Grace"

"Woah, that was deep," I said, looking at the letter.

"*smooth criminal beat* as he came into the window, was the sound of, a crescendo," Michael sang.

"Mike, are you gonna write a song about her?" I asked

"why not?" He laughed

We read a few more letters, and then I had to go downstairs to the parking lot, where thousands of fans and paparazzi waited for answers.

I was escorted by Bill and some other guy I didn't know.

We walked down the hall all business like and professional.

I changed into a red silk dress shirt and black tight pants.

We walked outside, and went behind a stage that was set up.

"You ready Ms. Henderson?" Frank asked, as my team of make up artists touched me up.

"Y-Yeah," I said

"I just want you to go out there and tell them as much info as you can, got it?" He said

"Got it," I answered

"Shelby your on in 5, 4, 3, 2, And," a stage hand said, as I walked to the side of the stage.

As soon was my foot stepped onto that stage, the crowd screamed and cheered with excitement.

As I walked up to the podium, I gave little waves, put no smiles.

"Hello, everyone and good morning. It's been a rough night for Michael and well, all of us. As you may know, Michael was held captive for hours on end by dancer Tatiana Thumbtzen and her father, both of which are spending 25 years to life in prison.
When Michael was being held, they proceeded to beat, hit, mutilate, and even sexually assault Michael, until we found him," I said, breaking down in tears out the door end, falling into Bill's arms, as he stood to the side of me.

"Do you need a minute," Bill whispered.

"No, no I can do it," I whimpered, wiping away my tears.

I took a breath in, and begin to speak again.

"After we found him, he was almost fully unconscious. After Tatiana and her father were taken in, Michael was rushed straight to this hospital, where he is now. We ask that you please, please respect myself and Michael's privacy and the whole Jackson family for that matter, at such a hard time. Michael is still in bad shape, and will not be able to perform for the few weeks to come. Anyone who has bought tickets to the shows with in the next few weeks will receive full refunds of  their ticket or tickets. We are so sorry about the inconvenience, but Michael just can't perform right now. Thank you for your time," I said, tears streaming down my face.

Bill, frank, the other guy and I all walked back upstairs quickly, without a word.

As soon a as I walked in that room, I fell into Michael's weak arms.

"I'm so sorry, Michael," I cried into his chest.