Hidden in Plain Sight

Scarlet sat on the throne as she stared at the sketches of Lillian and her ex-husband Ping. Lillian was about 5 when this picture was drawn. All the sparks that were in Lillian's eyes those years ago setting wonder into Scarlet's mind, "Now I know why you had those sparks... It started that never dying fire in your heart..." Scarlet said as she ran her wrinkled fingers over the sketch of Lillian hugging Kasai as a cub against her chest. The conversation between Scarlet and Lillian ran through her mind. Scarlet just couldn't get that heartbroken look of Lillian's face out of her head. Lillian never asked to be the next Queen of the temple. If only Scarlet and Ping could have had more children but Thorn was their only child and for some reason her was never gifted the powers of the Tenshi. Scarlet's rein has lasted almost 55 years and honestly... She was tired and she missed Ping. An arranged marriage has its benefits, doesn't it? Scarlet clenched her fists, "How can I be so foolish to believe that.... An arranged marriage only tears the heart apart even more." Scarlet thought to herself as she stood up and paced the throne room. It was late but she just couldn't sleep!

---Flash back---

"We travelled to the temples of the ancient Sun warriors, that's where I met Igneel first and he told me about Natsu and Lucy. After that, I helped the boys break, Hakoda who is Sokka and Katara's dad out of the Boiling Rock along with Suki and this other weird guy, there... That's where my first encounter was with the Slayer... I found so many bodies Nan... it was... Horrifying." Lillian said as a sob escaped her causing her voice to tremble. Scarlet stood behind Lillian braiding her hair as she listened to her Granddaughter. Lillian took a deep breath before she continued, "After the boiling rock, he along with Princess pain in the butt, found us at The Wester air temple. Zuko held off Azula as I took care of the slayer. We thought that we had lost him for good but I misjudged him... He found us 2 days later... He's strength and speed is as if he was a dragon himself." Lillian closed her eyes at the painful memory of the lightning hitting her body and shocking her in midair. "I must say my dear, your technique that you told me about, the extracting heat from large elements, it doesn't surprise me! I mean, you are MY granddaughter after all." Scarlet smirked as she tucked the loose strands of hair away. Lillian gave Scarlet a small smile, "While I was... Uh, dead? Unconscious? I was in the spirit world." Lillian began again, "The spirit world? Really?" Scarlet rose her brows in surprise. Lillian nodded slightly, "There, I met Natsu... Well his spirit and he said that Zuko was of his blood and Us of Lucy." Lillian added but then looked at her tiara on the cushion, "What is it dear?" Scarlet asked taking a seat beside Lillian, "Nan... do you think that My and Zuko's paths crossed on purpose or by fate?" Lillian asked in an almost whisper. Scarlet knew where this was going, and she didn't like it.... "My dear... Your father was in the military since I can remember so It was bound to happen since he was one of Firelord Ozai's most trusted men." Scarlet said emotionlessly, "But I mean... Zuko is Natsu's descendant and I am Lucy's, doesn't that prove to you in any way that he and I are meant to be?" Lillian questioned. Scarlet took a deep breath, "Avatar Roku was also Of Natsu's descent and his Tenshi guardian was my mother and they never saw the need to make a union!" Scarlet spoke harshly causing Lillian to also become annoyed, "I Love Zuko, I want to be with him. How can you not want me to be happy? A unity like this could change the way the world sees all Tenshi!" Lillian argued, "You are betrothed by Royal Blood! It is your duty to bring the temples together. I can't undo that of our previous queens! I am sorry my dear." Scarlet growled. Lillian turned her head away as a tear slipped down her cheek, "Then I deny my birth right and hand over my title to Shane..." Lillian mumbled, "Don't be ridiculous! You know that ever since the beginning of time that this temple has only been ran by Queens!" Scarlet stood and raised her voice. Lillian stood and marched up to Scarlet, "Then maybe you should adopt another girl. Because you can choose... Lose your granddaughter but gain a queen or loose a queen and watch me grow to have a family and be happy!" Lillian shouted before turning on her heel and marching to her balcony. Scarlet stood shock... Not at Lillian's behaviour but at the truth and fire behind her words.... Without another word, Scarlet left Lillian's room and attended the party...