eyes on you ; taipei // world tour series

You held on to Jackson's hand which was literally the only thing that was preventing you from getting lost in the sea of people that were cramming you like sardines in a can. You focused all your energy to ensure that you wouldn't get separated by the hoard of human bodies that were pushing and brushing against you, as both of you cut through the crowd.

It was the middle of the night but it seemed that everybody was awake, the streets of Taipei still bustling with activity as street vendors, in the midst of delicious-smelling steam that surrounded their stalls, cooked up a storm for the late-night crowd.

'Jackson,' you cried out, panting slightly, squeezing his hand tighter, as you got pushed further back.

Immediately, you felt the tugging on your hand stop, and your boyfriend rushed to you, concern in his eyes.

'Are you okay?" he asked, still holding onto your hand.

'Yeah, I'm just.... it's really crowded in here,' you wiped a bead of sweat that was rolling down your face with the back of your hand.

He pouted, knowing that you were in discomfort.

'Just a bit more okay?" he asked, giving you the 'cute-squirtle-eyes' which never failed to make your heart melt.

'Fine,' you sighed, you knew you could never say no to your boyfriend of 3 years especially when he gave you the puppy dog eyes.

'Where are we going anyway?" you asked, feeling slightly less claustrophobic now that he was closer to you. Scanning the streets for clues, all you could see were people milling about, minding their own business.

'There's this one thing I wanted to do with you,' he muttered vaguely, which was definitely NOT helpful in the slightest. Shrugging, you trusted him enough not to abduct you to some unknown country and merely followed his lead although your curiosity grew with each step that you took.

Finally, after several twists and turns down some questionable alleyways, Jackson stopped in front of a shop where they were selling thin, almost translucent sheets of colored paper with scrawls of Mandarin on the side.

There were a surprising number of people around, all of them purchasing from the store: families but the most popular customers, you could see were couples. Each of them holding some sort of glowing object in their hands and releasing them in the sky and soon, the night was awash with glowing orbs of light.

Perplexed, you let him do all the talking to the lady in charge, as he purchased two of them, handing one to you with a small smile on his face.

The one he had bought, were smaller than the ones on display which looked big enough to be a hot-air balloon. These were easier for you to handle, and as you were examining the peculiar object, paper sliding, between your fingers, feeling delicate in your hands, you were afraid that the slightest twist of your fingers would tear it in two. This one was, clean and blank, no writing was visible even after having examined it several times.

As gently, you opened up the paper, you felt the metal lattice below it and suddenly everything fell into place. Now you realized why it looked so familiar. It was one of those lanterns you had seen released into the air, when you had attended one of your uncle's funerals. You still remember the glowing specks of light as people let go of the lanterns in order to honor his passing.

'Here,' Jackson offered you a thin felt marker pen.

Taking it, you raised an eyebrow at him as he began to write on his own paper. Noticing that you hadn't even started he chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

'Sorry, I should have explained this earlier,' he said, and he fumbled slightly with his own lantern as he set it down.

'You see, there's this thing in Taipei where they come to this street, called Ping Xi Old Street and they make a wish, write it down on a lantern or they can make a wish in their hearts and then they light the lantern and let it go, hoping that the stars will allow their wishes to come through,' he explained.

'Oh,' was all you responded softly, as you understood, what the whole thing was about and you were genuinely touched by Jackson's thoughtfulness, it was so rare that you and him had the time to do anything like this and the fact that he had thought it out thoroughly despite his busy schedules made realise you how lucky you were to have him.

Picking up the felt-tipped pen, you quickly scrawled your name onto it, and instead of writing your wish on the lantern you decided to make it in your heart instead, while Jackson when to get some candles and a lighter.

'You ready?" he asked, as he dropped the candle in the holder, where it was meant to be placed, before lighting up yours.

'Yeah,' you grinned, as he did the same for his, both of you know holding the lanterns that know seemed eager to escape your hands.

'On the count of three,' he said standing right beside you.

'One,'

'Two,'

'Three,'

You let go of the lantern and closed your eyes, making your wish. Opening them after a few seconds you watched as it floated away, with Jackson's not far behind it, and as they grew smaller and smaller, against the sky, you had the foolish thought that maybe it really could reach the stars and grant your wish.

'What did you wish for?' Jackson whispered softly.

Grinning, you decided to remain secretive: 'Something, and you don't have to tell me yours, wishes should be private,'

'Well, even if you're not going to tell me yours, I'm going to tell you mine anyway,'

'Oooookay?" you muttered and watched in confusion as he dropped to one knee on the ground.

'Jackson?" you asked your voice suddenly cracking and oddly high pitched, as your heart began to race.

His hand in his back pocket, he took out a small box that was visible thanks to the lanterns that were still lingering in the sky, each one shining a small spotlight on the object in his hand.

Looking up at you with sincerity and love burning in his eyes, you felt your breath catch in your chest as he tipped open the box, revealing the small diamond ring inside, nestled within the folds of soft velvet in the box.

'My wish...' he said slowly, and you could feel tears forming in your eyes as he smiled up at you.

'Was for you to say yes,'