Mrs. Devil Malhotra

"Rishabh, pick up the phone," I murmur in exasperation. This is the tenth call I'm making to my brother and once again he's failed to pick up my phone. 

I glare at the screen of my device, as if doing so will somehow make Rishabh call me back, or at least answer the call. Okay, let's try once more. As I'm about to press my brother's name for the eleventh time, I collide into someone. 

"Fuck!" A woman hisses, her black stilettos backtracking a bit. I lift my gaze from her shoes, all the way across her silver sequined dress, and onto her face. A heavily makeup clad face is staring at me in irritation, eyebrows raised. 

"Since when has the help started running around this place like they own it?" The woman says, an air of arrogance surrounding her. 

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" I shoot a question in return, her attitude doing nothing whatsoever to ease my frustration. "And how dare you speak to me in that manner in my house?" 

Or a house that was never mine and most certainly never will be. I'm leaving this hellhole today. 

"Your house?" The woman scoffs, rolling her eyes, as she taps her phone against her palm insistently. "Honey, just because you're one of son's one-nighter, doesn't mean you own the place. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but he doesn't do long term." 

"S-Son?" I stammer, surprise washing over me. "You're Manik's mother." 

"I'd rather not be defined by his name," she says. "But yes, Manik is my son, and I still don't know you." 

"I'm - " 

"She's my wife," Manik says from the second floor landing. "And this is my house, Nyonika, so imagine my surprise at seeing you here." I turn around to find him watching the two of us from behind the railing. 

When I turn back around - not wanting to make even a second of eye contact with the Devil - I find Manik's mother's eyes trailing over my body. Disdain is evident in her eyes, as they travel the length of my body at least twice.

"Manik, what's happened to your taste?" She says, appalled. "When I heard through your friend's mother that you've tied the knot, I didn't quite believe her. And so I came over. But now that I've seen the one you've chosen," her eyes travel the length of my figure once more. "I can't seem to figure out whether I'm more taken aback by the fact that you're married and didn't even call to invite me, or that you married her." 

Manik's mother - Nyonika - takes my name as if she's mentioning an annoying piece of gum stuck underneath the sole of her branded shoe. 

"Did the world run out of highly potential women that you chose this one?" Nyonika insults me once more. It's now obvious to me that being a horrid person genetically runs in Manik's family. 

"You're right," Manik says from upstairs, drawing both our eyes towards him. He begins to head towards the stairs, nodding his head as he does so. "My world ran out of money seeking bitches like yourself." 

An involuntary gasp escapes my lips. How can he talk to his mother in such a manner? Sure, she doesn't have one decent bone in her body, but that doesn't warrant such crude behavior.

"Manik, watch it." Nyonika snaps. 

Aiyappa, what kind of a household have I roped myself into? Alya chose it, so of course I should've foreseen this. 

"I should've known you wouldn't approve of her," Manik says, his voice coming from right behind me. I shut my eyes, the will to step away from him spreading through my veins. "But then again, that doesn't really matter, now does it?"

The Devil positions himself beside me. Oh, so now I don't repulse him. 

"The thing is, she's not cut from the same cloth as you and so your dissatisfaction is just," he continues. "She's not after my money, she doesn't attend cocktail parties and she most certainly wouldn't walk all over me for a couple of bucks."

Manik is defending me? Aiyappa, this man gives me such confusing signals. One minute he's spitting venom my way and the next he's standing at my side, acting like my shield. 

"So this...simplistic, unfashionable girl satisfies you?" Nyonika asks, ignoring Manik's insults as if she hears them everyday. Does she? "I thought you were man who enjoyed a sexy one."

Manik tsks, his arm snaking its way across my shoulders, wrapping me in a warm side-hug. 

"See, that's the thing," he says. "Nyonika, you never really knew me. This woman...Nandini, is my wife and whether you like it or not, you're going to have to live with it." 

I don't think Nyonika catches onto the tension in Manik's voice when he said my name, but I hear it clearly. Why is Manik doing this? Considering how he's conversing with his mother, I doubt he cares much about what she thinks, or how she feels. 

"Nandini," Nyonika tests my name out. She nods her head, a smile lining her lips. "Okay. If you're happy with her, then I'm more than glad to open my arms and welcome her." Her eyes land on me. "Welcome to the Malhotra family." Nyonika grins at me as if we're long lost friends. 

Wasn't this woman insulting me just a few minutes ago? Does being bipolar also run in the Malhotra family? 

"I would say call me Mum, but my own son doesn't call me that, so why should you? Mrs. Malhotra will be good, yeah?" Nyonika says, a smile still displayed across her face. "Why don't you make us some tea and we can get to know each other better? You know, strengthen that mother-in-law/daughter-in-law bond everyone finds so damn interesting." 

I watch Nyonika unsurely. Is she genuinely being good to me? Or am I being played with? Is she also following in her son's footsteps and toying with me? 

"Don't," Manik says through gritted teeth in my ear, so only I can hear him. "Actually, she and I have plans."

"Which can be postponed." I say, taking a step forward, thereby, releasing Manik's hold on me. I smile at my mother-in-law, who might not hold that title for much longer. But until she does, I say we enjoy this. "I'd like to spend some quality time with your mom." I offer Manik a look over my shoulder. 

The fact that he doesn't want me to do this makes the desire to converse with Ms. Malhotra stronger than ever. Let's see how Manik stops me. 

"Why don't you go and take a seat in the lounge and I'll just get the tea?" I say, smiling at Nyonika. She nods, turning on her heels.

As I'm heading towards the kitchen, I'm well aware of the fuming Devil, who's still standing in the main hall. A few seconds after I've turned the kettle on, the kitchen door flies open and Manik marches in, his chest pumping up and down.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" He whisper-hisses. "I told you, don't." 

"And what makes you think I'll listen?" I fold my arms across my chest and raise an eyebrow at Manik. "You don't want to hear a word I say, but expect me to become this obedient slave for you? Dream on."

"You're making a big mistake. You don't know the woman my mother is. I'm trying to protect you," Manik bangs his fist against the fridge door.

"Protect me?" I scoff, shaking my head in disbelief. "Says the man who has blackened my arms with bruises, and filled my heart with pain." My voice cracks towards the end. No, I will not cry. Not anymore. Not for Manik.

"Fine!" Manik throws his hands in the air in frustration. "If you want to be a fool, then I won't come in your way. But just remember this, you're an Angel and she's the Devil's mother."