Undoing

A/N: Guys, be strong 😭😭😭. Happy reading xx  

Coming home today feels like a task I have been procrastinating for days now. My feet feel as heavy as lead, their weight suddenly seeming too much for my body to carry. Maybe that's why I'm walking at this snail's pace.

A central voice in my head is yelling, Manik can't abuse someone in such a manner. However, Rebecca's shaken state keeps entering my head. Aiyappa, my mind and heart are torn. Suddenly everything seems out of place in my world. It's almost as if all my beliefs have been shattered. How am I expected to think straight in such a situation? In fact I've tried to make sense of the situation, but for some reason today my brain has malfunctioned. Internally my sensible organ, and the other one that belongs to Manik, are at war with each other. Everything was fine until yesterday and today is a site of chaos. Why does everything good have to come to an end?

Aiyappa, show me a path I can take to sort through the tangled web in my head.

"Oh, sorry." I'm brought back to the present at the sound of this female's voice. My eyes widen momentarily as they land on Alya, who's stepping out of the house. She smiles at me. I stare back at her blankly, the gears of my brain refusing to comprehend this situation. "I just came to see Manik," she explains. "Bye." Alya heads past me, towards the gate.

Why are the stars aligned in such a wrong manner today? Nothing seems to be helping my mental state, especially not this guest who just left our house. In fact, seeing her has landed another blow to my already weakened foundation of faith in Manik. I push open the front door, my bag slipping off my shoulder and onto the foyer floor.

"There you are!" Manik exclaims, stepping out of the kitchen. I stare at him, trying to come to a conclusion as to whether he could abuse someone or not. I see nothing but a reflection of the man I love in his eyes; the one who fears for me more than I do for myself. The man who takes note of my little habits and tends to them without expecting any gratitude in return. "Why haven't you been answering my calls?"

Without replying to Manik, I head towards the stairs and make my way upstairs.

"Angel?" Manik calls from downstairs. "Are you okay?" Ignoring him once more, I enter my room, shutting the door behind me. I need some time - an hour, a day, maybe even a week. My feet carry me towards the bathroom on their own volition. As soon as I shut the door, I hear my room door opening.

"Angel?" Manik calls again, the sound of his footsteps drawing closer. "You okay?" He lightly knocks against the door.

"M-Manik," I say, my voice sounding foreign to my ears. "Give me some time. I-I'll be out shortly."

"You're okay, right?" Sighing, I shut my eyes, resting my head against the door.

"Y-Yeah," I lie, my voice weak. "Yeah, I am," I repeat.

"Fine, I'll wait." Manik calls from the other side. "Angel, there's this weird smell in your room. Have you been storing dead mice around the place?" I'm in no mood whatsoever to laugh. "Bad joke, I know. On a serious note, though, this smell is horrid. What is it?" I hear a few cupboards open and shut. "Maybe an insect died somewhere in here."

Another handful of cupboard or drawers are opened and shut before silence spreads through the air around me. Maybe Manik has left. The only voice that's echoing in my head is yelling at me that Manik is innocent. On the other hand, the only visual I can see is of Rebecca breaking down in front of me. Aiyappa, why have you put me in such a difficult situation? I'm fearful that if I bring this up with Manik and it turns out to be true I won't be able to hear it directly from his lips without completely losing my sanity.