Caged Bird No More

"So this also contains a toy?" Manik asks, as we wait near the roadside pav bhaji stall for my order. I nod my head enthusiastically, as I fish out a blue egg from the bag. 

"Here," I say, holding it out towards Manik. Since he makes no move whatsoever to take it from my hand, I drop it into his lap impatiently. "That's a boy one for you, and the pink ones are for me." Taking out a handful, I place the bag near my feet and scatter the eggs on the dashboard. 

"You do understand that you're not a five year old, right?" Manik asks, as I peel the wrapper off an egg. "Hell, I can even bet that five years don't play with this shit. I'm sure it's meant for retards like you."

"Oh please, everyone seeks pleasure in these little goodies. In fact, I'm definitive even you bought thousands of these when you were a child," I retort. "I mean, what else would you do at that age?" 

"Aim to look good," Manik replies, making me stop my actions. No, he's just pulling my leg. I sneak a look at him through the corner of my eye to gauge his expression. My husband's eyes are staring down at the egg in his lap, a glassy look filling his eyes. "Nyonika would continuously drill her lectures into my head. She told me that if I didn't eat well, join the football team, and look good, then no one will ever take a liking towards me. The first time I brought friends over she made them leave early because two were slightly over-sized, and one was apparently ugly. The second time I invited my peers to my house she chased them away yet again, saying they don't carry proper manners. Such that would raise them to the level of being my friends." Manik scoffs, shaking his head. "As if I'm a well-mannered, moralistic person. The last time I brought my friends over was the time when she began to flirt with the entire lot. The attention of all the teenage guys - except me - left the gaming console and landed on Nyonika." 

A rumble of thunder erupts from the sky above just as the clouds burst open and surround us with heavy droplets of rain. It's as if the sky is crying for Manik. 

"You know, Angel, throughout my school life I chose my friends based on their looks, their family background and the amount of cash they could throw for wrongdoings," he continues. "I didn't stop for even a second and try to get to know the people they are. Hell, I completely overlooked such an imperative element, simply because Nyonika taught me that it was useless. My definition of friends was money, power and a good face to look at, accompanied by a picture perfect body." 

"But now you know," I say. "The right criteria for friends. Now you know."

"Now I know," Manik agrees. "But it's too late." The plastic of the Kinder egg crackles in my fist, as I squeeze the life out of it. Since Nyonika's neck is unreachable for me this will have to pay the price. I will always despise that woman for making Manik regret the former years of his life. For rendering him unable to look back at his past and smile because he's satisfied with it. No, this man will always be filled with a wish to have lived his youth in the right way, and that makes my heart pinch for him. After all, one's childhood years are the best. They're the time that we relish the most in our lives, and he's unable to do so. However, I do promise Manik that I will try my level best to make the years to come brighter than ever. 

There's a knock at the window. He rolls it down, the street vendor handing him my plate of pav bhaji. As Manik's passing it on to me, I notice a few droplets are resting on his cheeks. My husband catches me gazing at his face and immediately wipes his face with his palms.

"Um...the rain got to me," he mumbles, paying the man and rolling the window back up. I nod, even though I have a feeling those water drops weren't Mother Nature's doing.

"Are you sure we shouldn't order another plate?" I ask, as I take a larger than necessary bite of the food. "Because I'm not sharing mine," I say through a mouthful.