A Plot...Or Not?

"I guess it will just be the two of us." I say, entering the lounge. "Manik has gone out." More like slammed his way out in a fit of anger, because that's really all he's good at.

"Can't say I'm not used to it," Nyonika says, putting her phone down. "The day Manik would willingly have a conversation with me is the day I'll believe in miracles."

I wish to ask her as to why the two of them share such a hostile relationship, which is nothing close to that of a normal mother-son bond. But I don't. I have a feeling that Nyonika's side of the story will hold less than a fraction of the truth.

Although I am willingly having tea with her, I do not like this woman. The only reason why I even agreed to this so called 'bonding session,' is because it irked Manik.

"Shall I make it for you?" I ask, parking the trolley beside Nyonika's legs.

"No, that's quite alright." She says, scooting a bit forwards. "I can make my own tea. Unlike my son, I'm not dependent on others."

"Dependent?" I repeat, unsure whether I've heard her correctly. "Manik is far from dependent. He can take care of himself just fine."

"Then I wonder why he married you," my mother-in-law muses out loud. "There must've been a reason for him to wed such a homely, housewife material woman, like yourself."

"Why do you make it sound like such an insult?" I ask, my tone sharp. Shutting my eyes, I take in a deep breath and calm myself before continuing. "There's nothing wrong with being a housewife, and I can assure you that it's a much tougher job than that of being a trophy wife."

Nyonika purses her lips, the spoon in her hand harshly hitting the insides of the mug.

"And what makes you think I am a housewife?" I hurl another question her way. "I'm currently still completing a few courses and will establish a successful career in the near future, with God's grace."

"Pardon me for my judgmental behavior," Nyonika says, offering me a smile. "We started off on the wrong foot and I believe it's time we clean the slate."

"We should," I agree, even though I'm not convinced by her words a hundred percent. "After all, we do share such an intimate relationship."

"And I can't wait to show you off to my friends," Nyonika says, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "Which is why I've called all of my girlfriends and told them to come over for dinner." She grins as if she's won the Nobel Prize.

"T-Tonight?" I stammer, my heart dropping down to my stomach. I'm pretty sure that Nyonika's friends equal to ten clones of herself in this house. One is hard enough to handle and here we're talking about a collection.

Aiyappa, please help me.

"Yes, of course!" She exclaims. "The sooner the better, right?"

"But what about the preparations and food?" I ask, my heartbeat resounding in my ears.

"Oh, don't bother," she flicks her wrist dismissively. "It's only a small gathering. A very casual one."

"I still think tonight's a bit too soon. Why don't you shift it to tomorrow?" I clasp my hands together, squeezing down hard on my knuckles.

"Because one mustn't delay a blessed job," Nyonika replies simply. "Nandini, even if you come down in your night suit, it won't make a difference. Like I said before, it's a very casual get together, only consisting of my closest friends. You know, the friends we've seen in diapers."

I nod, smiling, but internally I'm not so convinced. Nyonika doesn't seem like the type who would just hold a casual gathering, much less a pajama party. But I will have to take her word on this, since I have no other option.

The problem is that if I dress up too much and everyone else is adorned casually I'll look like a fool. On the other hand, if I dress too casually and everyone's all dolled up, I'll still be the odd one out.

*****

What would Manik have done had he been here? As I pace across the length of my room, I find myself trying to adorn the Devil's shoes and make a decision that he would. I'm only doing this because he has been living with Nyonika for years, and so of course he'd know how to best handle her and such a situation.

Aiyappa, what should I do? The urge to call Manik and inform him about tonight's on-goings is stronger than ever. However, considering the way he's treating me and the warning he gave me before, I rather not contact him.

There's a light knock at my door. Manik? No, this isn't his way of knocking. Considering the Devil he is at the moment banging down my door would be more his style.

"Coming," I call out, making my way towards the door. Unlocking it, I open it to find Sateesh standing there, tension lines creasing his forehead.

"What happened, Sateesh? Is everything okay?" I ask, concerned.

"Ma'am...Ms. Malhotra has called you downstairs," he says. Sateesh is constantly shifting his weight from one foot to the other, clearly nervous about something.

"Okay, thanks. I'll just be there," I say, ready to shut the door.

"Wait, Ma'am!" He splays his palm across the wood.

"Yes?" I look at him expectantly.

"Um...You haven't told me anything regarding the food and neither did Ms. Malhotra give me any guidance, and there are so many guests, and such little time, and - "

"Sateesh, it's okay," I say, interrupting his rambling. "Ms. Malhotra told me that it's just a casual gathering, with a few women. Just take out whatever you've made for dinner and you can make some mango milkshake, and there are enough cold drinks in the house. All this will suffice, don't worry."

"A-Are you sure, Ma'am?" Sateesh asks, tension still lining his brow.

"Of course, don't worry." I assure him, smiling. Nodding, he turns around and heads towards the stairs.

I don't understand why he's so tense about tonight. I've never seen him this worried before, and quite frankly, I can't think of one reason as to why he should be.

Shutting my door, I turn around and lean against it. Aiyappa, please stay with me tonight and just let everything run smoothly. I don't trust Nyonika one bit because Manik's right, she is the Devil's mother, and so her schemes will also win over his.

Am I being foolish by not contacting Manik and allowing my ego to come in the way? Aiyappa, ever since I've step foot in this house, questions and concerns are all that plague my head.