History Repeats Itself

"I hope the bride isn't getting cold feet?"

"Not at all. No jittery nerves. Nothing!"  I wanted to burst out laughing in disbelief at Manik's words that day, and even now as I think of them, a similar emotion wishes to overcome me. How can something that felt so right possibly make me nervous?

"Warm as could ever be. Now is a little too late to back out, you know?" I can recollect all the emotions that I experienced that night, almost as if it just took place a few days ago. 

"See you at the altar, Manik." 

"See you, Angel."  

A searing pain shoots through the centre of my head. However, I don't let it show. Sushant believes that I remember everything and am past my memory loss and I intend on letting him believe so.

"And he loves me very much." I add, keeping my voice firm. I'm not seeking a confirmation for this statement because my heart already knows it's the truth. Something inside tells me truer words have never been spoken. "I mean, I am his Angel." I shrug nonchalantly, as if that's an understood fact.

"Nandini, you know Manik told me that he would be able to open the door to your heart again because he belongs there," Sushant says. "He's right. You're his Angel and he belongs with you." You're his Angel. My stomach performs a volley of somersaults. Those words sound like bliss to my ears.

"And what if I hate it?"

"Then I'll stop calling you Angel." Oh, how I felt insulted that night when Manik thought I was too much of a weakling to accept his challenge.

"I'll come to this race of yours with you, and if I still find it boring, you're going to stop calling me Angel." After all these months, the mere thought of losing this precious nickname has my breath catching in my throat. 

However, this time the scene that unfolded in my head wasn't cloudy, or blurry. It was perfectly clear, almost as if I were viewing it in HD. I could see Manik clear as day, complemented with the backdrop of Chachi's garden. I remember regretting stepping out into the garden that evening because of Manik and Alya's presence. A shiver runs down my spine as my cousin's face appears clear as day in my head. I glance down at my arm, frowning, as I recall the way she once manhandled me.

"I love you, Nandini." Sushant says, drawing me back to the present. "Do I deserve you, though? No, I don't. Manik, on the other hand, does." A moment of silences passes by, as I try to comprehend Sushant's words. Is he speaking in Manik's favour? 

"He told me he would cry for you and I know he would," Sushant continues. I can tell that these words are burning his throat on their way out. "High chances are, he even has many times. I...I wouldn't cry for you," The man next to me offers me a saddened smile.

"I would cry myself blind for her."

"Sushant, you were great to me," I say, placing my hand on his bicep. "I love you, but simply as a friend. We didn't end on good terms recently, but I'd like to let you know that whenever you need a friend - be it for whatever reason - I'll be there for you."

"I know you will," Sushant nods his head gratefully at me. "Um...I know it's not my rightful place to ask, but could I please share one last dinner with you tomorrow?" I'm about to say no, before I realise there's no harm in a simple dinner...with a friend.

"Sure," I agree.

"Marcel's, say seven thirty?" I nod my head in agreement. Relief spreads across Sushant's face. "Thank you," he says excitedly. Through the corner of my eye, I see Cabir hovering around the corner.