One Step At A Time

"Sorry, sorry, sorry," I say, rushing into the main hall of the orphanage. "Something's up with the oven and so all the lasagnas were delayed, which in turn caused me to run behind schedule. Sorry." 

Placing the bags of lunchboxes on the ground, I look up to find all the children staring at me. They're all lined up, backpacks covering their small backs. 

"Wow, okay," I offer them a sheepish smile. "So everyone's ready and waiting for me, huh?" 

"For the past fifteen minutes," Naina's upset voice rings out across the hall. "Now can we please go? If my butt doesn't sit itself on a ride soon enough, then it will surely fall off." 

"Punctuality is key!" Manik's loud voice echoes around the hall. "Where is this other helper of yours? Considering she's this irresponsible, I don't understand how she'll handle the children." 

All the tiny heads - including mine - turn to look at the second floor balcony. Manik is marching out of Farah's room, anger radiating off him as always. The poor girl is right behind his heels, rolling her eyes, as she makes faces at his back. Wait...Manik's my helper? Oh no, this was a mistake. 

Before I can somehow slip away and back out of this commitment, Farah's eyes land on me. 

"Nandini!" She exclaims, as if her life depends on taking my name correctly. "You're here. Oh, thank God." 

Aiyappa, why? That's all I'm going to say. As I'm cursing my bad luck, Manik's eyes land on me. The poor man looks as if a ghost has appeared in front of him and has asked for his hand in marriage.

I smile at him, offering him an awkward wave. Why am I such an idiot? I should've asked Farah about who the other person is going to be. She loops her arm through Manik's and pulls him towards the staircase, leading him downstairs. As excited as Farah seems that things are now going to run smoothly, Manik looks as confused and reluctant. 

"Aarav, meet Nandini." She says, parking him in front of me. "Nandini, meet Aarav." 

"Hello," I say, feigning innocence, as I stretch my hand out towards Manik. "How are you doing?" He stares at me, his eyes telling me that he's not amused by this situation at all. 

"Okay, then," I murmur, retracting my hand. "So I guess we'll get going, Farah." She nods her head, staring at Manik. 

"You told me you'll behave," she whispers in his ear. But because of the pin-drop silence I'm sure even the elderly in the house next door heard her. Manik's gaze doesn't leave mine for even a second, as he totally ignores her. 

"Okay kids," I say, clapping my hands together. "We'll file out line by line, so that everything moves in an orderly fashion. Naina, you can start leading yours out from the main gate and into the bus." 

I glance at Manik over my shoulder, as the children begin to head out of the front door. 

"Go outside and see that everyone's getting in safely," I instruct. He doesn't budge, even though Farah's poking him in the middle of his back from behind. "Please." Snapping out of his daze, Manik heads past me - bumping his shoulder into mine - and out through the front door. 

Rolling my eyes, I continue to send out line after line of children. Today is going to be one long day. 

Once all the children are out and into the bus, I head out towards the vehicle as well. Manik is leaning against the side of the bus, arms folded across his chest.

"This isn't the time to look like a model," I say. "Get in." 

"What game are you playing now?" Manik asks, catching hold of my forearm.