Double Celebration

"Manik," Dhruv says, turning his head towards my husband. "You're a supposed master at the art of drifting, eh?" I frown, unsure of which direction Dhruv's words are headed in. "Suppose we put you to test." Momentarily my eyes land on Manik, realization clouding his face. He's more in sync with Dhruv's words than I am.

"Fucking hell no!" Manik snaps. 

"Shhh," Dhruv places his index finger at his lips. "Let your hottie speak for a change." My husband's head snaps towards me, his head shaking vigorously. 

"Why?" I mouth, confusion washing over me. 

"The scenario will unfold in such a way," Dhruv continues. "You'll be standing in the middle and Manik will drift around you to make the number eight." He tilts his head to the side, watching Manik now. "I'm sure that won't be hard at all considering what a pro you are at handling the wheel." 

"A life may be a game for you," Manik says, his voice threateningly low. "But for me it's important, especially Angel's." 

"Ah!" Our enemy exclaims, wincing in the next second as his facial expressions cause pain to his broken nose. "Angel, that's her name." His eyes travel from Manik to me. "How cute."

"Don't you fucking dare say her name from your disgusting tongue." The Devil threatens, once again struggling against his friends tight grip. I can see the strain he's causing Cabir and Aahan. I mean, their faces are clearly portraying the fact that they're barely able to keep him reined in.

"So you're both going to be pussies and back out like the cowards you are?" Dhruv says, egging us on. 

"No," I say with firmness. "We accept this challenge." I trust Manik enough to know that he will allow no harm whatsoever to come towards me. Also, I have the utmost level of faith in Manik's driving. He belongs behind the wheel almost as if it's an extension of his arms.

"Angel, we won't." Manik contradicts me, causing Dhruv to let out a bark of laughter.

"As expected," he taunts. Frowning, I make my way towards my husband. Positioning myself in front of Manik - blocking Dhruv from his view - I cup his face in my palms.

"Guys, a second?" I say, smiling at Cabir and then at Aahan. They look at each other hesitantly, doubting Manik's self control. Cabir nods at his friend, causing them both to back away from us. 

"Angel, I won't do this." Manik says, shaking his head adamantly. "We've got nothing to prove to anyone, especially that dick." His eyes momentarily pass over my shoulder and towards where Dhruv's standing. 

"This isn't about them." I gently rub my thumb along his skin. "It's about us. I want to show you that I have absolute faith in you." 

"I already know that." Manik clasps his hands at the back of his head in frustration. 

"Okay, then do this for me. Manik, no one's allowed to point a finger at you and I." Another flare of anger spreads through my veins as I recall how Dhruv was taunting us mere minutes ago. "I want us to prove that jerk wrong so that he's the one who feels humiliated. You know it as well as I do that you can control your vehicle." 

"That's not the issue, Angel." Manik throws his head back. "I can't...I can't do this when you're at risk." 

"I'm not, Manik." I assure him. "You're driving and that means nothing can happen to me. It's as simple as that." Dhruv's irritating laughter enters my ears once more. "Do you hear that? He's laughing at you. At me. At us. We have to prove him wrong at all costs." 

Manik brings his hands up between our bodies; they're shaking. Removing my hands from his face, I wrap them around his, bringing the palms towards my lips.