Two Vessels, One Soul

"Your job's done." The girl says, rounding the corner. 

"What'd you tell him?" I ask, praying to God that she followed my instructions just as I had ordered her to do. "More importantly, who'd you tell?" 

"An uncle named, Manik." The girl says, excitedly moving up and down on the balls of her feet. "I told him that Angel is in trouble, and she's near Marriott's entrance doors." I continue to look at the girl expectantly, hoping she has delivered the last part of the message as well. "For verification, I asked Uncle if you were wearing a blue and white kurta, with black tights. Immediately, he said yes." 

"Good girl!" Approvingly, I ruffle her hair. "Now as promised," I say, slipping off the silver ring from my middle finger. "I believe this now belongs to you." Bending down, I hold it out for the girl to take. Her eyes sparkle at the mere sight of the small accessory. 

"Thank you!" She squeals excitedly, as she grabs the ring from my fingers and runs off. I wish I had something more to give this girl. These children on the streets are out here from no fault of their own, and yet they suffer the most. Remembering the task at hand, I hurriedly make my way into the lobby of the hotel, stationing myself behind a marble pillar that's near the entrance. Perfect! Now when Manik comes - if he does - I'll be able to spot him with utter ease. 

A few seconds pass by, and there's no sign of Manik. Pouting, I bite down on my lower lip. Is my intuition miserably off? Am I truly getting entangled in the web my brain has spun for me? Just as I'm about to step out from behind the pillar - defeated - Manik comes into view. His chest is heaving up and down heavily, panting. Without allowing himself even a second to rest, Manik turns around in a full circle, his eyes searching for someone. Me. My train of thoughts isn't far fetched. Instinctively, my fingers latch onto the necklace I'm wearing. 

Am...Am I Angel? Is that why whenever I'm with Manik, there's a shift in the energy around us? By now I know for a fact that he's not just any person who I've befriended recently. My heart doesn't agree with that. Manik is something more to me. Squaring my shoulders confidently, I make my way out from behind the pillar and towards the exit doors. Time for a confrontation. 

"So you came," I say, as I step out through the hotel's glass doors. Manik pivots on his heels to face me, eyes wide in alarm. 

"You..." He pants, staring at me disbelievingly. Something flickers across Manik's face, before he furrows his brows and glances around him once more. "What're you doing here?" My friend asks casually, his attention on everyone and everything, but me. 

"I came here to prove a point to myself and to you, Manik." I say, frowning, as he continues to disregard my presence. "I sent that girl to call you here," I explain. "You came. Although what fascinates me is that she never took my name. Manik, she told you that your Angel is in trouble. I, however, am Nandini." Manik's eyes flash over with anger.

"What kind of a sick joke is this?" He asks, taking a step towards me. My words have now managed to grasp his full attention.

"Manik, logically speaking you shouldn't have come. I mean, you know better than anyone what's happened to your girl, so why did you come looking for her now?" I continue to fire questions at Manik. The look of rage that he's offering me causes a shudder to travel down my spine.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Manik yells, his face morphed in anger. "Are you a fucking sadist? I came here with such high hopes and..." He trails off, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Manik, the girl even described my clothing to you. I'm the one who's wearing a blue and white kurta," I glance down at my body. "You came for me." Manik lets out a humourless bark of laughter, cupping his hands in front of his face.