Good Luck, Manik

Manik's POV

"Angel?" My wife looks up from the novel she's reading. "I forgot to mention this yesterday, but Eva has invited us to her birthday bash tomorrow. Are you up for it?" 

"Definitely!" Angel exclaims eagerly. "Had you told me about tomorrow's event before, I'd have properly planned out a present for the birthday girl." 

"It's fine," I flick my wrist dismissively. "I've already arranged something." As I begin to strum a random tune, Angel continues to give me a pointed look. Does she know I have more news to break? News that won't be as good as the one I've just informed her about. "There's a slight problem though." 

"Why do I think this problem isn't all that slight?" She questions, shutting her book, and leaning forwards, ready to hear me out.

"Maybe because it involves your cousin and my ex." I smile at Angel sheepishly. 

"Alya's going to be there?" I can visibly see Angel doubting her decision to attend Eva's birthday through her expressions. I'm aware that my wife isn't intimidated by her cousin, and neither is this discomfort regarding Alya and me being in the same vicinity. 

"Angel, what's the matter? Will you actually allow that bitch to act as a spoilsport for our fun?" Placing my guitar on the bed, I get up and make my way towards my wife. "Don't allow her to chase you away from a gathering of our closest friends." 

"I'm not going to not attend because of Alya," Angel clarifies. "However, you know that she will dampen our mood, no matter how hard we try not to focus on her." 

"Angel," I take her hands in mine. "I promise you that Alya won't be allowed to kill the mood tomorrow." Pursing her lips, Angel stares at me, doubt evident in her concern filled eyes. 

"Forget everything else, tell me why in the world is Alya attending Eva's birthday party in the first place? I thought you hadn't introduced her to any of your friends." A defeated sigh escapes my lips. It's true, no matter how hard I try to get rid of that demon, she seems to keep landing up wherever the hell I am.

"It's because Alya is now dating one of our friends," I explain. "I'm not surprised. He does have heavy pockets as well." I bring Angel's hands up to my lips and leave a light peck on the back of them. "Look, I want you to think about it, and if - and only if your heart wants to - will we go tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll tell Eva the cause of our absence, and I'm sure she'll understand." 

"I'll be right back, Manik." Angel says, standing up and heading towards the room door. It's unfortunate that Alya's cursed shadow is hovering over us even months after I've severed all ties from her.

My phone pings just as I'm lowering myself back onto the bed. Alya's name is displayed across the screen. 

'M, I need more money. Please.' She has written to me. Huffing, I toss my phone towards the furthest corner of the mattress. Angel and I have jointly decided that I will stop funding Alya's bad habits from now on. 

Alya has always had a substance abuse problem. Unfortunately, she has never had the willpower to deal with it like a mature adult, and overcome it. Once she and I broke up - and she was forced to stop abusing my money - Alya began to take loans from a group who I know is associated with Dhruv. The other day she came to my house, utterly scared and desperately in need of money. Angel has taught me many things along the way and one of them is to never lose my humanity, even towards those who I strongly believe don't deserve it. That's mainly why I offered the comforts of a worry free sleep to Alya for a few hours. Alas, when I went to get her a glass of water and a few sandwiches, she had already made herself comfortable in my room, and was fast asleep. Before sending her off that day, I gave her the amount she desired, so that Alya could get those goons off her back. However, not funding Alya anymore was the right decision, because I can clearly tell that she won't stop misusing alcohol, regardless of all the promises she has been making time and again. I can bet a million dollars that the new man in Alya's life is simply another money spitting machine, and nothing else. After all, that woman only knows how to abuse people.