Enemy Territory

Manik's POV

"I know that spending time with an oldie isn't a luring factor for a young lady like yourself." Chachi says, as Angel picks up her bag and gets ready to leave. "Regardless, I still wish to tell you that I'd love for you to fulfil the promise you've made me. Just tell me a day before coming over and I'll have Manik run to the store and get the required ingredients for our baking adventures." Giggling, Angel casts a look at me over her shoulder.

"Chachi, you really don't know your son if you think he can grocery shop without help." She says, shaking her head in disbelief at my inability. "If only you had seen him at the farmer's market in the morning." 

"Luckily, he has met a sensible person, also known as Nandini." Chachi takes Angel's hands in hers and squeezes them warmly. The doorbell rings, notifying us of Sushant's presence. Fucker. "Y-You'll come back, right? Soon?" Chachi asks hastily, panic setting into her voice. My gaze flits towards Rishabh. He nods his head at me, understanding my unsaid message. 

"I tell you, Nandini," Rishabh says, reaching his mother's side. "Our mother is quite fed up of our company and so she loves it when others come over and give her a change. That's probably why she's craving your attention before you're even gone." Nice save. The doorbell rings once again. Doesn't Sushant have a single patient bone in his body? 

"Bastard." I murmur underneath my breath, as I turn on my heels to open the door for him. Angel clears her throat, making me glance over my shoulder towards her. She's watching me, eyebrows raised. Did she hear me? Heck, I was barely able to hear myself. The doorbell rings once again. Lord, so help me, or else I might just punch the man outside senseless.

Before I open the door, I inhale a deep breath. Lord, give me patience, I pray. I doubt Angel would keep me by her side if I end up beating her boyfriend. 

"Welcome, Mr. Uninvited Guest." I say, pulling open the front door. Sushant rolls his eyes. 

"I'm just here to take my girlfriend home." He says, his gaze flitting over my shoulder.

"Watch it," I warn, taking a threatening step towards Sushant. 

"You're the one who's pushing your luck by stalking Nandini." I scoff, shaking my head in disbelief. 

"As much as I know you'd love to fool yourself, I am most definitely not stalking Angel. On the contrary, actually, she and I met by chance today. I guess destiny has already chosen a winning side, and since I know you're slightly slow, let me tell you it's mine." 

"Manik, bring Sushant in. I'd like for him to meet Chachi," Angel calls from behind. Without waiting for me to allow him to pass through, Sushant enters our home, his shoulder bumping into mine. 

"I can tell that you're already at home with the family, huh?" Sushant says nervously. It's her family, asshole! 

"There's no formality with my children." Chachi says, passing her hand over Angel's hair. It's obvious that she's purposefully not looking at Sushant, and rightly so. After all, he evokes deep feelings of rage in all of us. I promised Sushant that I wouldn't badmouth him in front of Angel. But I made no promises, whatsoever, that I wouldn't spill the truth to Chachi and the other members of Angel and my family. 

"Babe, it's getting late. Let's go home," Sushant says, stopping a good distance away from Angel. Fucker doesn't even know how to shower his girlfriend with affection. No wonder he has to lie in order to attain one. If I was in his shoes - and I met Angel after a day long absence - then I would immediately convey just how much I missed her; be it through my lips, my touch, or even my words.

"I'll be back soon," Angel promises Chachi. "Now that I've met your wonderful family, there's no way I'll be able to maintain my distance." 

"We don't want you to," Chachi says, grinning. Although she's portraying happiness, I can tell that inside Chachi is dreading letting Angel go. I don't blame her though. If only I had the liberty to hold onto my wife the way Chachi so easily can.