No Victory Without Struggle

I stand to the side and watch the long line of ladies file out through the front door. None of them offer me a glance, or even a slight wave of goodbye, which I am a hundred percent alright with of course. The further these women stay from me the better. 

Although my eyes are shifting from one face to the other, my mind is occupied with something else altogether. With none other than the Devil himself. Manik not only defended and kept my respect intact in front of Nyonika, but also between all her friends. 

Regardless of the cruel treatment I've been on the receiving end of behind closed doors, in front of a gathering he does care enough to keep my respect intact. And this means a lot to me. It is the one ray of hope - that one sign - I was looking for. Manik still cares for me in some darkened corner of his heart, and this is the thread that I will hold onto. 

I thought before that he didn't care anymore and quite frankly, maybe never did. However, I was wrong, and thankfully so. The feelings I harbor for Manik are not in waste. He reciprocates them too - even now after all that's happened - just like how he did before our marriage. The only difference between him and I is that I have understood my emotions. Whereas he's still living in ignorance. 

To top it off, this ignorance is further imposed on him by the betrayal he had to undergo because of my family. Yes, I was deceived too, but it was my first let down. Manik, on the other hand, has clearly gone through similar deception many times before and this could just be the limit. I don't blame him. 

I have been so involved in pitying myself I didn't realize that what Manik is experiencing is ten times that of what I am suffering through. This, of course, doesn't justify his actions. However, it does make me think that I should try to reach out to Manik, instead of constantly remembering home and wanting to run back there. 

Life is not about safety. If I lived constantly in my comfort zone, then I'd get nowhere. It's time I stop relying on safety blankets and start taking a few risks. Running home is not an option anymore. This is my home. And I will put in my level best efforts to save it. Manik's offered me a finger, by showing me he cares, and now I will take hold of his hand and guide him back towards the light. 

After seeing and getting to know Nyonika, my heart further fills up with pain for Manik. Just imagining the loveless childhood he must've endured...I shake my head at the thought. But that's all in the past now. I will put in my level best efforts to ensure that Manik's present and future is filled with such great depth of love that he doesn't find even one chance to complain. 

Once the last lot of ladies exit our house, my eyes scan the area for Nyonika. She's conversing with someone on the phone, pacing back and forth across the lounge. 

"I think it's best you leave as well." I say, stepping into the lounge once Nyonika is done with her phone call. 

"My son made that very clear, Nandini. Neither am I amnesiac nor deaf that you need to keep repeating his words." Nyonika says, all signs of friendliness having evaporated from her demeanor. "Pardon, I forgot that you're his puppet." She rolls her eyes, passing her fingers through her hair. 

"And I forgot that you fear no one other than Manik. Let me just call him here." I turn on my heels, making my intention to bring him here very clear.

Nyonika grabs hold of my arm, her nails digging into my skin. What is wrong with this mother and son? What enmity do they harbor against my poor skin? I turn back around to face my monster-in-law.

"Don't suffer such misunderstandings," she snaps. "I am not afraid of Manik." 

"Isn't that why you got all your friends to leave the second he told you to do so?" I raise my eyebrows questioningly. Nyonika narrows her eyes at me. 

"Whatever," she lets go of my arm. "I have somewhere to get to anyway."

"At three in the morning...sure," I say, smiling. "Whatever helps you sleep at night." 

"Listen up, Nandini. You're fresh meat for my son right now, but I can assure you that he will get bored of you one day. And when that happens all this confidence of yours will seep right out, like a deflated balloon and that day, I will have the last laugh." She stops, a cold smile lining her lips. "Because contrary to what you think, this goody-two shoes isn't my son. The man that I saw today isn't Manik. Sooner or later, my son's true dark colors will surface." 

"That's just it, Nyonika," I say, giving a slight shrug. "You've always chosen to highlight the darkness in your son. To bring out the Devil and crush the goodness that struggles to resurface with every breath he takes. I, however, focus on the bright side that's suppressed in him for now. But not for long. It'll come out and fill him up, because he's filled with so much goodness." 

Nyonika thinks she knows her son, but she's mistaken. I've seen the real Manik in the past few weeks that he was living at our house. He puts on a show for the world and only lets a few people come backstage. I, fortunately, was one of the lucky few. But circumstances have now thrown me back out towards the front, where I only see Manik's masked face and act. 

"And that day, I will laugh alongside him," I continue, meaning every word. 

A/N: Hey, my lovely readers! So I've been reading your comments and private messages - because that's my favorite pass time - and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of you have various questions regarding MaNan's current situation. 

No worries, that's perfectly alright. I just want to tell ya'll that you can ask me whatever questions are plaguing your beautiful minds in the comments section or you can message me privately, and I'll be more than happy to answer them. 

Also, please do keep voting and commenting because trust me when I say that I read all your comments, appreciate each and every vote, and take all of your views into consideration. Take care and stay safe xx