The Night's Young

This time Manik seats himself beside me without doing any unnecessary drama. Through the corner of my eye, I stare at the ring - the one that Manik showed off so proudly - claiming he's married. The fact that Alya never got to make him wear a ring on this finger makes mine even more special. The thought is indeed silly, but I think I should get used to acting like a teenage schoolgirl when matters involve Manik. 

"Keith," I say, leaning forwards towards his seat. "Did you happen to go inside the haunted house today at the fair?" He turns in his seat and nods his head.

"Yeah, but it was boring." Keith replies, his expression portraying pure disappointment. "I've been to better." I can feel Manik's gaze burning holes into the side of my head. Gripping the railing tightly, I stand up and turn around to face the back of the bus, where a bunch of children are chattering away excitedly. Some, however, have gone to sleep. Today has definitely been a tiresome day for them.

"Listen up!" I call out. "How many of you went to the haunted house and found it utterly boring?"

"Me!" A chorus of voices rise up from the bus, as hands shoot up as well. I smile down at Manik, his black orbs glaring at me. 

"Great!" I say, as I'm about to seat myself. The bus jerks to a stop, my hand slipping off the railing. A squeak escapes my lips as I prepare myself for a bad fall onto the bus's aisle. An iron grip wraps itself around my wrist, pulling me towards the source. My eyes fly open as my behind lands on Manik's lap. I don't want to turn around. In fact, I can feel Manik smirking like the jerk that he is. I mean, he could've just let me fall. That's better than this embarrassing position he's trapped me in.

"Angel, I know my lap is highly comfortable, but that doesn't mean you consider it to be your couch and stay seated." Manik says, his breath fanning the skin on my shoulder blade. I'm about to open my mouth and retort when a thought enters my head. The Devil is always up to teasing me and he always wins. Let's at least try to even the playing field. 

I shift in his lap so that I'm facing him. Removing my wrist from his hand, I wrap my arms around his neck and lean closer to his front. 

"Actually I quite like this," I say, my eyes trailing down his front languidly. "Oh and Manik." I shift my lips closer to his ear, until they're lightly touching the skin of it. "I win," I whisper. I can feel the Devil stiffen up. Smiling triumphantly, I get off his lap and lower myself back onto the seat beside him.

*****

Manik and I haven't spoken a word to each other since my actions in the bus. He rushed off the vehicle once it arrived at the shelter, hurriedly got into his car and sped off. I've been home for about two hours now and Manik hasn't once come out to exchange even a few words with me. He's been holed up inside his room, the door shut. I mean, it's not like I strip teased for him. In fact, I'm sure he has been on the receiving end of much more than what I did in the bus, so I don't understand why he's overreacting in this manner. One would almost think he's the one who has something to be ashamed about.

"Manik?" I call, knocking on his door. 

"What?" His muffled voice replies from the other side. 

"Why are you holed up inside like a shy, arranged marriage newlywed bride?" I ask, leaning against the frame of his door. "Come out, Manik! We have to discuss my prize for winning."

"I'm not giving you anything." I roll my eyes, folding my arms across my chest.

"So first you're a loser and then you turn into a sore loser. Great going." A click echoes in the empty hallway, as Manik opens the door, poking his head out. 

"What the fuck do you want?" He asks, glaring at me. "I'm telling you from now that I'm not going to - "

"You remember that drive you offered me once upon a time?" I raise my eyebrows questioningly. "Yeah, I want to cash in that offer today. In fact, in an hour."

"That's it?" Manik asks, opening the door wider and stepping out. He furrows his eyebrows together, his black orbs puzzled. "Why...How in the world is that a reward?"

"Because I get to spend time with you." I shrug nonchalantly. "That pretty much categorizes as a prize for me." I head over towards my room. "Don't forget, an hour," I call out over my shoulder as I step into it. 

*****

As I'm trying to connect my phone to the stereo in Manik's car, the front door opens and out steps the man himself. I watch as he glances around the driveway, his eyes not once landing on me. It could be because of the reflection of the trees that's falling on the windshield, or maybe the man's blind along with being dramatic. 

"Of course she's not here," Manik thinks out loud. "Why would I even think she'd be excited for this drive?" He looks down towards the ground, shaking his head to himself. "What the fuck is wrong with me?" 

What in the world is wrong with my husband? Why does he always underestimate his value? I'm extremely excited for this drive. I mean, why else would I ask him to take me? Manik's armor has so many chinks because of his past which make him highly vulnerable in his present. If only he would allow me to help him. 

I watch as Manik begins to pace back and forth in front of the door, disappointment evident in his body language. His shoulders are slouched forwards and his head is bent towards the ground. Reaching over towards the steering wheel, I press down on the horn. Manik stops with a jerk, his head whipping in my direction. I poke my head out of the open window and wave at him.

"Let's go," I say, gesturing for him to come over. "You're three minutes late." Manik's eyes light up at the sight of me, as he bounds down the porch steps and jogs over towards the car. I smile, shaking my head in amazement. Ma was right, this man is simply too easy to please. Manik yanks open the driver's side door and gets into the car excitedly.

"You were waiting for me," he says, making it sound more like a question. I nod my head. 

"Because someone was late," I point out matter-of-factly. 

"So you're actually looking forward to this drive?" Manik asks, staring straight out of the windshield. Although I'm not directly gazing into his eyes, I can tell they must be portraying a mixture of joy and surprise.

"Manik, you do yourself an injustice," I say. "I'm not lying when I tell you that you aren't that bad company to be around." 

"No one's ever waited for me before." He whispers, more to himself than to me. I purse my lips, and allow him to muse out loud. "This is a first," he adds, nodding his head to himself.

"Let's go already!" I exclaim, snapping Manik back to the present. "We have so many stops to make and I have something important to tell you." 

"Yes, Ma'am." The Devil says, reversing out of the driveway. "By the way, I didn't know you could turn on a car's engine." 

"Well, I might not be able to drive one, but I sure as hell know how to work a car." I say proudly. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Manik."

"Not by choice, of course," he shoots back. "If there was an encyclopedia available on you, I'd be the first person to purchase it and memorize each page, word for word." Is today confession day, or what? Manik clears his throat, as I feel him raise the walls around himself once more. "Where are we going to first?"

"I want to buy some Kinder eggs," I announce. "So take me to a store that's not too close from here, but not too far either because timing is key. Especially considering we have quite a few stops to make." 

"Let me get this straight," Manik says. "You've basically made me your chauffeur for the evening?" 

"Hmm...not exactly, no." I say, giving the name some thought. "Because I'll be allowing you some privileges that a chauffeur isn't usually given." 

"And am I supposed to feel honored?" Manik questions, as he drives down the main road. Regardless of the Devil's whining and complains, I can tell that he's excited to be here with me, which most certainly is a relief. I mean, had he not been willing to sit in my company, Manik could've quite easily refused, or stopped the car. It's not like I can force him under gun point.

"You don't have much of a choice," I say. "After all, you did lose." Who would've thought that haunted house would become so useful for me? I'm going to ensure that this evening is a memorable one for Manik.