Lucked Out

"Nyonika's right for a change," I say. "You should go home." Manik's head whips in my direction at the speed of light. Stumbling over his own feet, the Devil somehow manages to stand up.

"A-Angel?" He stutters, as if he can't quite believe his eyes that I'm standing in front of him. "What're you doing out here?" He marches towards me like a man on a mission. "You should be inside. Go back now." His hand wraps around my forearm. At once I shrug it off, even though every fiber in my body is telling me to glue his hand to my skin. I have been maintaining a safe distance from Manik for this very reason; the second he's near me I forget all else, my heart overpowering me. I fear that if I stay in his presence for a minute too long then I will succumb to his efforts. However, that will be wrong. What Manik did isn't okay, and by giving in, I do not wish for him to think it is. 

"I'll go in when I wish to." Manik's hand hovers in the air beside me. Pursing his lips, he returns it to his side. "Go home, Malhotra." Manik's face falls in a split second. 

"What'd you just call me?" He asks, cocking his head to the side, as if this will help him hear me better.

"You heard me." Quite frankly, calling Manik, 'Malhotra,' feels odd - even to my lips. However, I need to maintain a certain distance from him, and through these little ways I'll be able to achieve the goal I desire. "What's the point of waiting out here?" I ask, glancing around. There's a chill in tonight's air, and as it is, no one would want to spend a night on the roadside. "Go home," I repeat.

"You're my home, Angel," Manik replies simply. "What's the point in me going back to a house that isn't ours to share?" Sighing, I hold the blanket out towards Manik.

"As usual, your stubborn nature prevails," I comment. "Here," I nod my chin towards the blanket. "I don't want you getting sick and shifting into the room beside mine." Smirking, Manik takes the blanket from my arms, bundling it up in his.

"How'd you know I was out here?" He asks, his eyes making it seem like he's in on a secret that I'm unaware of.

"Wild guess," I lie, diverting my gaze away from Manik. 

"Liar," he calls me out on my bluff. "Angel, you forget that lying to me isn't an easy task for you. I repeat, how'd you know I was out here?" 

"I'm not answerable to you," I snap, bringing this discussion to an end. How do I tell Manik I allowed my curiosity to get the best of me, and that I sent the nurse outside to check whether or not he was out here. A gut feeling strongly told me he would be. Only Aiyappa understands the fascination Manik has with sidewalks. 

"Okay." He raises his palms upwards, a sign of surrender. "So I guess I'll be here all night." 

"Doing what?" I ask in exasperation. "The only thing you'll achieve from being out here is becoming a platter for bird poop." 

"That's my problem." Manik leans towards me, a flicker of amusement dancing in his eyes. "Though I do wonder, why are my camping plans bothering you?" I lean backwards, folding my arms across my chest. The state of my injured leg completely slips my mind, until I begin to go off balance, my healthy leg unable to bear the weight of my entire body.

"Fuck, Angel." Manik hisses, snaking his arm around my waist. At once he stabilizes me, his breath fanning my face. "You're welcome," he whispers, grinning. 

"I didn't ask for your help." I say through gritted teeth, pushing him away with the help of my palms. 

"And you would've broken ten more bones without it." Manik retorts, moving me upright.

"This was a horrid encounter, as always." I comment, hopping on my healthy leg to turn myself around. "Goodnight." Mentally bracing myself for the tasking job I will once again perform, I begin to limp back towards the entrance. The doctor has strictly told me not to leave my room, and so I couldn't even ask for crutches, or for a nurse's aid. Aiyappa, I should've thought this through.