Happy Reunion Day

"Angel?" My head jerks to the right to find Manik coming up the stairs. His eyes flit towards the open doorway of his room, land on Alya, and then return to me. "Angel - "

"What in the world is Alya doing in your bed?" I interrupt him, my gaze landing on the sleeping woman once more. She's fast asleep in Manik's bed as if this is her bed, her room, and her house. Ironically, right now I feel like an intruder. 

"Angel, don't jump to conclusions." Manik says, raising his palms up. "First let me explain."

"Did you sleep with her?" I blurt out, raising my eyebrows questioningly. Silence is all I receive as a response. My heart gaining a hundred new cracks every passing second, I wait for Manik's reply. "I knew it," I scoff, after about a minute has passed. Manik's silence is enough to answer my question. Aiyappa, why do I allow this man to make me a fool repeatedly? My heart sinks to the bottom of my stomach. How many times will I allow this man to tread on my heart before I protect it from him?

"I didn't sleep, or involve myself with anyone even when I didn't consider you my wife, so now that I love you, how do you expect me to do so?" Manik asks, as I'm heading towards the stairs. Those words are ringing with enough honesty that I don't require any further explanation from the Devil. "Angel, you still don't trust me." A volcano of relief erupts on me at the same time as rage spreads through my blood. I call Manik impulsive, and yet I'm the one who keeps jumping to senseless conclusions. This cannot go on. I should be punished for my idiotic behavior.

"I'm sorry." I say, my voice cracking. Turning around, I face Manik, my vision impaired because of the tears that are clogged up in my eyes. Tears that are proof of the disappointment I feel towards myself. Once again I've not only let myself down, but Manik too. 

"Angel, why are you crying?" He asks, stepping towards me. Taking a step back, I hold my palm up for him to stop.

"Because I'm at fault." I cry out, a sob escaping my lips. "I'm the one who keeps messing us up again and again, yet you're the one who is always apologizing and making it seem as if you're at fault. This is wrong, Manik!" Grinning, he comes towards me, his palms cupping my cheeks.

"Why are you smiling?" I ask, tears freely streaming down my cheeks.

"Because you called me Manik after what feels like a century." He replies, resting his forehead against mine. "My name sounds beautiful when said from your lips."

"I'm serious here, Manik." I say, sniffing. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for calling you a rapist, for even remotely believing that accusation for a second. I'm sorry for making you plead so much before I finally came around. I'm sorry for thinking you're capable of breaking my trust and cheating on me. Manik, I'm sorry for causing you all this grief. I'm sorry." Another sob shakes my body.

"Angel, I don't need your apologies." Manik says, wiping the tears away from my cheeks with the pad of his thumbs. "Trust me when I say, I don't consider you to be at fault. Not even a bit."

"That's the problem, Manik!" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air. "I'm at fault. Be angry with me. Please."

"For what?" The Devil lets out a confused chuckle of laughter. "Look, Angel, we both made mistakes that taught us a lot. But now that's all in the past. It's time we move on."

"No," I shake my head stubbornly. "You can't forgive me, Manik."

"What?" The Devil tilts his head to the side, looking at me as if I'm an alien. "I honestly believe that the pain medicines are screwing with your head."

"No, Manik." I let out an irritated sigh. "You're not listening to me."

"Okay, sorry," he says, gesturing for me to go ahead.