Plan A

Manik's POV

I stare unsurely at the bouquet of red roses that's lying on the breakfast counter. This gesture of presenting Angel with something so cliche and overly romantic isn't me. And I can bet that she'll know it too. Heck, the woman knows me inside out.

"Now when you get there call me." Cabir instructs, taking out a bottle of wine. 

"Why?" I question, confused. He huffs, rolling his eyes as if I'm missing out on the elephant in the room. 

"Manik, if words start leaving your lips then there will be further damage to this already fragile matter." 

"I'm a good talker," I defend myself.

"And I want to marry a woman." Cabir scoffs. Cocking an eyebrow, I stare at my friend challengingly. 

"Okay," I nod. "Let me prove it to you."

"Alright," Cabir agrees eagerly. "Let me setup the scenario for you. So you've reached Nandini's house," he begins. "And she's in the garden doing yoga." I raise my hand to interrupt. "What?" My friend snaps, clearly annoyed at being cut off midway.

"Angel doesn't do yoga." I inform Cabir. An overly sweet smile adorns his face. Without this expression faltering from his face, my friend reaches down for his shoe, slides it off his foot and chucks it my way. "The fuck," I hiss, as I smack it away from my body.

"She's doing it now. Upon seeing her like this, what will you say to Nandini?" I pucker my lips together, and make a string of calling sounds.

"Manik, my man, are you calling Nandini or a dog?" He asks, spacing each other word out clearly as if he's conversing with a child. 

"So should I call out her name?" I ask, shifting from foot to foot nervously. I was fine until Cabir decided to test me out.

"No, I suggest you say the neighbor's name and I'm sure your Angel will come running into your arms." He replies sarcastically.

"Cabir!" I take his name with exasperation. "For fuck's sake, this isn't a matter to kid around with. My life's at stake here." 

"You're right, and I'm sorry for turning this into a jest. Once you reach there, Manik, call me. It'll be better if I help you out once you're at the spot of action." 

"Okay," I sigh, mentally bracing myself. "Let's do this." Grabbing the bouquet of flowers, I march towards the front door. I doubt getting Angel back will be a Plan A only operation. The woman's as headstrong as I am, if not more. I have a strong feeling that intense grovelling will be required.

As I'm heading towards the car the bouquet in my hand is a great source of discomfort. These roses don't seem fitting. 

"Babu," I say, nearing his quarter. "Here, you can gift these to your wife." 

"Thank you," he says gratefully, taking it from my hand. "She'll be very happy. Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Patting him on the shoulder, I turn around and get into the car. Fuck being guided by others. Henceforth, I'll do it my way.

*****

I ring the bell, my stomach in knots.

"Coming!" Chachi yells from the other side of the door. "One minute!" She opens the door, her eyes landing on me expectantly. 

"Manik!" Chachi exclaims, grinning. "What're you doing here? And where's Nandini?" She tsks as she opens the door wider and steps back, gesturing for me to enter. "Silly me. I meant to say, please do come in."